Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
hailers-torrent tracks next two afternoons

wdrag

2 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

The last few days have been one of the more interesting setups I've seen for the area, I'll give them that.  Cell to my west is hammering Somerset County and has dropped many nice CTG strikes.

Question for everyone: does anyone remember a day 2-3 years ago, incredibly hot and humid, where at some point in the afternoon the entire region exploded with thunderstorms crawling random directions?

It was a very distinctive event.  At some point in the afternoon, like 2:30 PM, the radar went from clear to cells gushing everywhere.  There was no steering flow.  Cells just appeared everywhere and drifted around, the whole state was covered by red echoes, flash flooding must've been everywhere.  I don't even think it was due to a seabreeze front, they didn't really propagate along a front that I could see.  The atmosphere pretty much rained itself out.

Wish I could remember what day that was and what the setup was, pretty wild.

Do you recall which areas might have been hit the hardest and was it 2018 or 2017?

1 hour ago, Will - Rutgers said:

The last few days have been one of the more interesting setups I've seen for the area, I'll give them that.  Cell to my west is hammering Somerset County and has dropped many nice CTG strikes.

I just left north Princeton, and it was bearing down hard.  Home in W Windsor, and I think that it will hit here.  Means losing my poor DSL.

Edit 9:48 - Looks as though the cell got nudged westward and is dying in Bucks Co.

15 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

It might have even been 2016.  I'd like to say 2017 most likely.

As I remember the entire state was covered in a swarm of cells.  Never saw anything like it before or since.

There was a day like 2 years ago in Union County. I was out in it as the cells were popping overhead with lightning striking within feet of my car. I think a downburst occurred in Cranford as well

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep, what else is new. Had just a couple of showers here. Radar looked good, but what was on track to hit us good weakened. Another cell developed and missed me just to the west, going into Somerset county. The rain got moderate for a brief minute as I was near the edge of that cell. Not enough to water the garden.  Amazing how many different heavy storms just missed me today. The luck is so bad it's comical. I'm looking at radar now and seeing another batch of storms moving SSE through Morris county, but it looks as if those will miss us slightly to the west as they move down into Somerset county.

One last miss to top it off! Total for the week .17 lolz 

33 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Crazy storm here 

23 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I know-absolute torrent and brilliant lightning. LOUD thunder. 

17 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yea lots of CTC, thunder is rolling. 

Agree!  Unlike the earlier storm, this one held together nicely as it came across the island.  Vivid lightning and gusty downpour.  Overall, a solid a respectable storm here!

Wrapping up this two day, mostly Wednesday 11A-10P event with a course but useful graphic of 2 day rainfall.  Of interest via the legend...several pockets 2"+ rainfall.  Saw the note from bluewave on Harrison NJ rainfall of 2.79 midday yesterday.  A little surprised by big hailer e LI at dinner time yesterday. Apparently a few reports smaller hail in NJ.  It rained and there were lightning strikes. fwiw,  I only traced yesterday in this part of Wantage NJ..two day total 0.07"= summer convection and its extreme gradients. 554A EDT/2

Screen_Shot_2020-07-02_at_5_42_42_AM.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FPizz said:

.56" here.  Northern side of town i saw some storm damage posted on the local Facebook page

Yeah, like a lawn chair knocked over, lol...someone asked if a tornado came through...I said not even close, the storm was mediocre at best...just alot of rain and thunder...I'm over on County Line Road

14 hours ago, Allsnow said:

One last miss to top it off! Total for the week .17 lolz 

Yeah it's horrible. I hope we finally have some better luck tomorrow with the scattered storms that are expected. Today the chance looks extremely slim (maybe a 10% chance) with very isolated storms but you never know. RGEM does keep showing a couple storms popping up close to our area today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah it's horrible. I hope we finally have some better luck tomorrow with the scattered storms that are expected. Today the chance looks extremely slim (maybe a 10% chance) with very isolated storms but you never know. RGEM does keep showing a couple storms popping up close to our area today.

Lol. Hit today with a nice shower! Go figure lolz. .13 and enough to keep the sprinkler off 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Lol. Hit today with a nice shower! Go figure lolz. .13 and enough to keep the sprinkler off 

Yeah that shower missed me a few miles to the east. I was on the edge of it so only got a few sprinkles. RGEM did a good job showing a few storms popping close to our area today, but unfortunately nothing for me again. Much more numerous storms tomorrow so hopefully we'll cash in. I might lose it if I don't get a downpour tomorrow, lol.

• Like 1