• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
hailers-torrent tracks next two afternoons

wdrag

Tiny cell just blew up right to my east, if I get no rain I’m gonna be pretty pissed. It’s literally like feet away.

Edit: This is some sort of sick joke lol. No rain and several very near misses over the last few days, but this one missed me a few hundred feet.

At one point about 75 - 90 minutes ago we were surrounded in all 4 cardinal directions by these otherworldly black towers (except the one to the east which was well lit).  it looked like the view from a hurricane hunter in the eye of a cat 5.  Continuous thunder since that time but we are still waiting for a drop of rain.  The dome is intact.  This is actually fascinating.  I regret being outside looking up without my camera.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

No hail where I am in S Huntington but some loud thunder and heavy rain. Maybe 5 minutes south on Rt 110 looks worse. 

Yeah they certainly petered out as they stumbled their way southward though.  Here in Lindenhurst, the sky darkened, but we got nothing aside from a 2-min bout of drizzle.  Sun's back out now.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Just enough rain to keep the dust down! Another disappointment 

Yep, what else is new. Had just a couple of showers here. Radar looked good, but what was on track to hit us good weakened. Another cell developed and missed me just to the west, going into Somerset county. The rain got moderate for a brief minute as I was near the edge of that cell. Not enough to water the garden.  Amazing how many different heavy storms just missed me today. The luck is so bad it's comical. I'm looking at radar now and seeing another batch of storms moving SSE through Morris county, but it looks as if those will miss us slightly to the west as they move down into Somerset county.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Yeah they certainly petered out as they stumbled their way southward though.  Here in Lindenhurst, the sky darkened, but we got nothing aside from a 2-min bout of drizzle.  Sun's back out now.

The sea breeze boundary likely flared them up and then died right down. Haven’t seen any report of hail, maybe up around Woodbury? 

The last few days have been one of the more interesting setups I've seen for the area, I'll give them that.  Cell to my west is hammering Somerset County and has dropped many nice CTG strikes.

Question for everyone: does anyone remember a day 2-3 years ago, incredibly hot and humid, where at some point in the afternoon the entire region exploded with thunderstorms crawling random directions?

It was a very distinctive event.  At some point in the afternoon, like 2:30 PM, the radar went from clear to cells gushing everywhere.  There was no steering flow.  Cells just appeared everywhere and drifted around, the whole state was covered by red echoes, flash flooding must've been everywhere.  I don't even think it was due to a seabreeze front, they didn't really propagate along a front that I could see.  The atmosphere pretty much rained itself out.

Wish I could remember what day that was and what the setup was, pretty wild.