Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

7 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

clouds in PA to about Harrisburg, some burn off too.  Think we are partly sunny through 1:30 for most.  Should get most places to another 90.  Time will tell.

newark's a degree warmer than yesterday at this time with less SE influence

Just now, SACRUS said:

89/73 here partly sunny and very steamy.

87/77 HI 99

The numbers might not show it, but It feels worse to me than those days with a heat advisory.  That humidity where everyone walking outside looks likes zombies. Also could be the cumulative effect of day after day heat.

15 minutes ago, dWave said:

87/77 HI 99

The numbers might not show it, but It feels worse to me than those days with a heat advisory.  That humidity where everyone walking outside looks likes zombies. Also could be the cumulative effect of day after day heat.

87/77 here too.

This is a cooler version of what much of Long Island felt like during those heat advisory days.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cfa said:

87/77 here too.

This is a cooler version of what much of Long Island felt like during those heat advisory days.

ISP getting close to its first 70° average dew point July.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=76&network=NY_ASOS&station=ISP&season=jul&varname=dwpf&year=1893&hours=0-23&dpi=100&_fmt=png
9A87D495-FD77-4EFE-AAFA-83FD006DA3FF.png.be0a2af86b09b733d5c3fee31ecc09f9.png

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I’m actually surprised it hasn’t already. These high dew summers have really started to feel normal, the 2010’s really stand out on that graph. More evidence of a transition to a more subtropical climate.

A bit of an apples to oranges comparison but my PWS is averaging 70.5 so far this month in an area with much more vegetation than ISP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It would be nice if we could get access to this...

https://ams.confex.com/ams/95Annual/webprogram/Paper261494.html

Monday, 5 January 2015: 1:30 PM
225AB (Phoenix Convention Center - West and North Buildings)
Phillip E. Shafer, NOAA/NWS, Silver Spring, MD; and D. E. Rudack

Manuscript (1.1 MB)

The Meteorological Development Laboratory (MDL) has recently developed an experimental suite of station-based, Model Output Statistics (MOS) guidance from the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) model. To date, guidance for temperature, dewpoint, wind speed and direction, sky cover, probability of precipitation, and precipitation type has been developed. One element that is important to aviation interests and public safety is thunderstorms. This paper describes the development of a MOS thunderstorm system for the ECMWF model and its performance when compared to climatology and corresponding MOS forecasts from the Global Forecast System (GFS) and North American Mesoscale (NAM) models. 

Equations for the probability of a thunderstorm and the conditional probability of a severe thunderstorm for 3-, 6-, 12-, and 24-h periods were developed over the CONUS from six years of ECWMF model output. Cloud-to-ground (CG) lightning data from the National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN) and severe weather reports collected by the Office of Climate Water and Weather Services (OCWWS) were used to define the predictand. Results from a k-fold cross-validation test indicate the new ECMWF thunderstorm guidance is superior to corresponding GFS MOS and NAM MOS forecasts, and in some cases, forecast skill and good reliability are achieved out as far as 240 hours in advance. This guidance will be incorporated into the experimental short-range and extended-range ECMWF MOS text bulletins which are restricted to NOAA/NWS use only, and will also be available to NWS forecasters in gridded format as part of an experimental ECMWF gridded MOS suite.

Very helpful to know gentlemen... I tried the link provided this morning, a couple of days ago and no luck.  So, am glad it just wasn't my own operator error. That said...also helpful to know NBE performance and... good thing that it improved on MEX because we're in a statistically persistent pattern of warmer than climate normal.  I'd be really disturbed if NBE didn't improve on MEX.  Also, had seen EC MOS in its more primative non gridded stage prior to March 2018 retirement,  within NWS.  Sharing International model guidance is relationships, benefits to countries etc. NWS I think incorporates the MOS into some of their products, if forecasters elect to init with the base blended statistical data. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First rain since Fay (Jul 10) for a bunch of the area in the next 2 hours and this evening.  Cloud deck should put the lid on any more heating and storms will subsequently follow.  Overall felt like the hottest day here.

inxr1Kphla_h.gif