Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

52 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

A dew point over 60 cannot and has not ever been called COC k was my point. He has added some mysterious number of 62 lol. If you look at official dew scale 60-65 classified as muggy over 65 humid and 70+ oppressive 

Those dew scales were also developed by ASOS dew points, not backyard dews.  Move those up 5F for Davis dews at least.

You have to be honest, 62F though doesn’t feel like it did a month ago.  Your body does adapt really quickly.  

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Those dew scales were also developed by ASOS dew points, not backyard dews.  Move those up 5F for Davis dews at least.

You have to be honest, 62F though doesn’t feel like it did a month ago.  Your body does adapt really quickly.  

But the discussion isn’t about adaptation. That’s like when we get a dew 58-60 in winter one day and all the “it’s so humid and sticky “posts fly. Go out and run or hike or anything physical with dews in 60’s and you’ll work up quick sweat like I did at 5:00. A cloudy, muggy day with temps in 70’s and 60’s dews has not and will never be COC k

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today ain't muggy in any sense of the word, my god what a Sally. Doing lawn work today and didn't even break a sweat. Good lord 73/61

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Comfortable as we think 

170705_dewptscale.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS 60F dew and ORH 59F....definitely doesn't feel muggy. It doesn't feel like 40F COC that we get in May, but for July, this is pretty nice. It helps that the temp is 67F.

Yeah we had a low in the 50s this morning and right now it's 72/62... it does not feel humid anymore.  But this would've felt humid a month or two ago. 

Just like when we wear a jacket for 59F and sunny in October because it feels chilly after summer... but 59F and sunny in the spring feels like t-shirt weather and shorts.

I mean, the argument is over a dew of 59F vs. a dew of 62F.  The normal population, will never tell you the difference between those two.  It only matters to what we call it on here and apparently it matters, lol.

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ensembles show the uber heat staying west. Sort of MOTS (thank you Dick Albert) and although we'll get some bursts of heat, we'll be prone to fropas like we just had too.

I know a Dick Albert but i don't think its the same one....lol

I have done 90 July runs in the Worcester area since 2015, and the average DP has been 61.75, about what it is today. That's not bad, but it's not crisp COC air, which is what DIT is saying. The DP's ought to be in the mid-50s to be a COC candidate. 

Also, we don't need to hold ourselves to Louisiana or Miami standards with a DP chart. When the DP is at or around 60, it is definitely on the muggy side. I know this from running. When the weather is 70/60 it feels muggier because of the relative humidity factor. I can't clear sweat on my body. About 20% of the runs had a DP 55 or lower, which is the gold standard. The difference between 55 and 60 is significant, and therein lies the COC weather. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Weather_or_Not said:

I have done 90 July runs in the Worcester area since 2015, and the average DP has been 61.75, about what it is today. That's not bad, but it's not crisp COC air, which is what DIT is saying. The DP's ought to be in the mid-50s to be a COC candidate. 

Also, we don't need to hold ourselves to Louisiana or Miami standards with a DP chart. When the DP is at or around 60, it is definitely on the muggy side. I know this from running. When the weather is 70/60 it feels muggier because of the relative humidity factor. I can't clear sweat on my body. About 20% of the runs had a DP 55 or lower, which is the gold standard. The difference between 55 and 60 is significant, and therein lies the COC weather. 

Thank you. Most share our thoughts. Post more often!

• Weenie 1