Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s def been warm and well above average. We’ve been doing it a lot more with the low temps though. We haven’t had those scorching highs yet that NNE has seen several times. I don’t think you’ve even hit 90 yet. 

Kind of hard to when the dpoints are so high  850 m bar temperatures 17+° now seems like for the past 10 days ...on a west wind in a dry adiabat we should probably be 94° 

We need that Sanoran heat release/sourcing like the Euto’s been advertising in the xtensed to actually get into the short range ...just seems to be a permanent fixture out there in the extended but it never seems to mature or last rather crossing into the 84, 96 or even day 5 range

Probably flips around in late November and we have a permanent apocalyptic blizzard bomb that never comes either 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

We will judge based on hours of 70+ dews. I don’t like the avg ones for this because periods of COC decades ago brought down the means. A month of dews in the 60s ranks very high, but isn’t necessarily too impressive because of no COC.

I am unconvinced that this will come within a furlong of 2018 in the dews department. That was a freak show.

I have been lurking in this forum for a few days in preparation for our annual trip to Edgartown.  You all are obsessed with dew points!! It felt like a Northern VA October day today on MV, an absolute 10 of a day today at the beach.  How are we looking on MV for the rest of the week?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Kind of hard to when the dpoints are so high  850 m bar temperatures 17+° now seems like for the past 10 days ...on a west wind in a dry adiabat we should probably be 94° 

Consistency too in the flow. I mentioned further back we haven’t had those classic 58F turds mixed in with onshore flow like we seem to get every June...so usually when we have a +3 June, we’re saying “oh man, there must have been a few 96s in there!!” since we know there were probably a couple 57F onshore flow episodes mixed in. 

But this year, it’s like just consistent above average but not the “scorcher” days mixed in. 

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

I am unconvinced that this will come within a furlong of 2018 in the dews department. That was a freak show.

Can't possibly. I do hard physical labor outside everyday and I haven't experienced one day close to that s*** show. It would have to be miserable from now until October.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Consistency too in the flow. I mentioned further back we haven’t had those classic 58F turds mixed in with onshore flow like we seem to get every June...so usually when we have a +3 June, we’re saying “oh man, there must have been a few 96s in there!!” since we know there were probably a couple 57F onshore flow episodes mixed in. 

But this year, it’s like just consistent above average but not the “scorcher” days mixed in. 

Yeah see we had more of a real see-saw in temperatures.  

June was only (compared to SNE) +1.7 here at MVL despite having 5 days of >90F maxes... destroying climo in that regard.  We did have 2 days of maxes in the 50s as well, along with some 60-65F.   In fact, MPV/Montpelier has June at exactly 0.0 departure despite the hot periods.

It was warmer in the means but we still had periods of -10 and -12 departures to go with +12 departures.  

Back in June, a day of 91/48 was a really hot afternoon but only a +7 departure at the time.  Get the high end max temp but the minimum temps and high diurnal spread kept it from getting out of hand in the positive direction back when sites were pulling 35-45 spreads.

Every day this month has been AN, making it 24 of the last 26 with the big rains of June 29-30 the only BN days in that stretch.  July is running +3, with highs +0.6 and lows +5.5 - all warm but no big heat, max is 82 so far and only 28° total range for the month.  June was just the opposite, ranging from 27 to 90, the greatest span for any met summer month here, 1998 on.  Garden loves this July so far, more than adequate rain, warm days and mild nights with no blazing heat that sends the greens to seed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Every day this month has been AN, making it 24 of the last 26 with the big rains of June 29-30 the only BN days in that stretch.  July is running +3, with highs +0.6 and lows +5.5 - all warm but no big heat, max is 82 so far and only 28° total range for the month.  June was just the opposite, ranging from 27 to 90, the greatest span for any met summer month here, 1998 on.  Garden loves this July so far, more than adequate rain, warm days and mild nights with no blazing heat that sends the greens to seed.

I saw that a place in Colorado achieved a daily record low temp and daily record high temp on the same day July 10

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/11/alamosa-colorado-record-high-low-same-day/amp/

It also happened 3 times at that location back in August 2002. 

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I saw that a place in Colorado achieved a daily record low temp and daily record high temp on the same day July 10

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/11/alamosa-colorado-record-high-low-same-day/amp/

It also happened 3 times at that location back in August 2002. 

Until the Chester, MA records were determined to be invalid, that site held the state's high (107 on 8/2/75, tied with New Bedford) and low (-35, 1/12/1981) records.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Body surfing delight.

I was in ocean city MD yesterday.. what one of the best body surfing days in a long long time. Bermuda high did its thing with some 9 second southerly swells.  

I did a family vacation in south Florida for the fourth of July and I forgot just how flat the water is down there.  A lot of the beaches were closed, we paid for a few Catamaran/ Snorkeling trips to get out on the water.  

Waves beat Clear water any day of the week!!! 

8 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I was in ocean city MD yesterday.. what one of the best body surfing days in a long long time. Bermuda high did its thing with some 9 second southerly swells.  

I did a family vacation in south Florida for the fourth of July and I forgot just how flat the water is down there.  A lot of the beaches were closed, we paid for a few Catamaran/ Snorkeling trips to get out on the water.  

Right on! 

33 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Waves were pretty good at Ogunquit yesterday.

49 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Until the Chester, MA records were determined to be invalid, that site held the state's high (107 on 8/2/75, tied with New Bedford) and low (-35, 1/12/1981) records.

Imagine if that happened on the same date? Lol.  
Hot Saturday! And Cold Saturday in one date

Of course that Colorado record is not the al time state record but pretty neat

On 7/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, klw said:

Not Kuchera but Euro overnight was not bullish for snow over the next couple of weeks.

Just an update to say this verified 100%!  Looking forward Euro continues to not be optimistic about our snow chances and run to run consistency has been high in this regard.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1