Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

57 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We’re fukked.

No, NNE is fukked.  

Ginxy to Scooter should get ready for jackpots.

Lets just hope he doesn’t have the luck of @eyewall...he moved to BTV from the Carolinas and then the airport goes like two full years without a 6”+ event,  including the only time in 65 years with 0” at the Mansfield Stake on Christmas.

41 minutes ago, alex said:

You might want to upgrade to a snow plow. I started my first winter here with a snowblower and it gets old very quickly when you get into those 2" of snow every day patterns. 

Ha, I think it was a reference to classic superstitions on the forums about buying new winter toys... you buy something like a snowmobile and snowblower, you are guaranteeing a snowless winter so you can’t use it.  

But yeah, plowing is the only way to go if you average 100+ per season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I think it was a reference to classic superstitions on the forums about buying new winter toys... you buy something like a snowmobile and snowblower, you are guaranteeing a snowless winter so you can’t use it.  

But yeah, plowing is the only way to go if you average 100+ per season.

Yeah, I could never do the driveway with a snowblower. I have a lot of driveway and two loops as well. I have plowing lined up, same guy from down in Gorham who has been plowing it for years. Only issue is when he runs out of places to put the snow I need to pay a separate crew to come in with construction machinery to physically haul the snow away and make room around the house and garages. Apparently this happens sometimes and just this past winter it happened  

Snowblower is to clear the deck when needed and the walkways to the front door. 

47 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I could never do the driveway with a snowblower. I have a lot of driveway and two loops as well. I have plowing lined up, same guy from down in Gorham who has been plowing it for years. Only issue is when he runs out of places to put the snow I need to pay a separate crew to come in with construction machinery to physically haul the snow away and make room around the house and garages. Apparently this happens sometimes and just this past winter it happened  

Yeah I average decently less snow at 750ft than you and we need to have someone come once or twice a winter sometimes with a bucket loader to push the snowbanks way out into the lawn.  It's common, those snowbanks will pile up and then it'll rain at some point and turn them to concrete that only a bucket loader can deal with.  Last year we had more dense QPF rich snow with the warmer pattern, and that's when its really needed.  The plows can crush the fluffer nutter snowfalls pretty easily into the existing snowbanks.  In confined areas you need to just truck it away and dump it somewhere, ha.

Where you moving to again?

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
29 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Weymouth, MA.

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I was there earlier today. Couldn’t believe how many less people around than last year 

I was there on June 27 weekend and it was pretty packed  that weekend . It gets  busier in the late evening , like now it’s quite busy . Where did you go earlier today ?

The beach wasn’t as packed bc they still had parking when the 27’th didn’t in a couple of the lots but there is pretty good spacing on the sand 

50 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Last winters have been very good gradient winters for NNE. 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You’d think Nina would be gradient city.

Unless it’s a shit one like 2011-2012 or 1999-2000. 

I don’t actually remember NNE getting a lot of snow last year except late in the season. They got clobbered in 2018-2019 though. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unless it’s a shit one like 2011-2012 or 1999-2000. 

I don’t actually remember NNE getting a lot of snow last year except late in the season. They got clobbered in 2018-2019 though. 

It's like 2011-2012 in a way... below normal snowfall, not an inspiring winter by any stretch of the imagination.  But the N/NW side of New England got a few events and then some nickle and dimers... compared with very little in other areas, it seems like a good winter.  Some good events during "winter" months can start the idea, and then a solid finish is a lasting impression.  To some it seems like a better winter relative to the actual numbers.  In reality it wasn't a very good winter.

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I thought NNE had a average snowfall last year 

I know some places limped their way to average but they had to use a lot of late season stuff. Late March and April produced pretty well. 

The big sites like PWM and BTV were definitely below average though. Maybe powderfreak can chime in for his area. (Edit: Nevermind lol)

59 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I will be living in Randolph, NH at 1550" for at least half the year going forward.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

78/70 at almost 10pm is pretty damn warm for here. The breeze feels nice, but mixing giveth and taketh.

We had a low this morning of 73F... that's as warm as I can ever remember.  We always get into the 60s at the very least.  Always. 

The timing last night was perfect for a possibly record high min (?) with the approach of Fay.  Southerly flow of high pwat air out of the tropics?  The only way to mix the lowest levels around here is with the 30-50mph low level jet wind speeds recorded at the summits... especially with the speed max happening early morning when you'd hope for the diurnal bottom.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We had a low this morning of 73F... that's as warm as I can ever remember.  We always get into the 60s at the very least.  Always. 

The timing last night was perfect for a possibly record high min (?) with the approach of Fay.  Southerly flow of high pwat air out of the tropics?  The only way to mix the lowest levels around here is with the 30-50mph low level jet wind speeds recorded at the summits... especially with the speed max happening early morning when you'd hope for the diurnal bottom.

Yup...or out ahead of a cold front, but usually we get the passage at some point overnight. Clouds tend to help keep it stirred as well.

7 hours ago, dryslot said:

We finished here dead avg after the late season snow, 72.9"

We snuck up to within 5.5" of our average, thanks to 22" post-equinox, including the season's 2 biggest storms.

Near 70 this AM, very mild for here.  Only 7/19/2005 has recorded a 70+ minimum.  The day before was 69, also 9/8/99.  Nothing else above 68, and today's minimum will probably be about there.  Pleasant atm with a breeze but a high launch point for this afternoon.