Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, PhineasC said:

You guys are so weird about seeking out big heat and humidity compared to the MA forum. LOL

In a few summers you'll realize how anomalous this is.  Ginxy has had far cooler days most of the time during the high heat periods than even NNE elevations.  I think that makes it more interesting to me.

We need a dendrite chart update of frequency of 90F days for BML and MVL compared to normal.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You guys are so weird about seeking out big heat and humidity compared to the MA forum. LOL

You’re probably wondering what the hell all the rumors were about moderate summers in New England, lol....prob near-record warm start to summer up in northern New England. You’ll get an AC and then not have to use it for the next 2 summers...LOL.

Nice reprieve today though. 

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

In a few summers you'll realize how anomalous this is.  Ginxy has had far cooler days most of the time during the high heat periods than even NNE elevations.  I think that makes it more interesting to me.

We need a dendrite chart update of frequency of 90F days for BML and MVL compared to normal.

He may not if this becomes the new norm ;) 

Frankly I think that we could be seeing more of this kind of stuff because the Hadley cell expansion

I think these cut off “ tutts ” that Brian refers to are more common actually because what’s happening is establishing a broader band of easterly trades across the Atlantic and that is stranding wave components in the interface between the H cell and the lower Farrell interface latitudes

I don’t know if you guys have noticed this but we are ‘tucking’ into the mid Atlantic and New England at synoptic and super synoptic scales much more discernibly than we ever used to ...something that started happening more noticeably over the last 20 years but the last five years it’s really gotten bad. This summer with the tutts formulating over the mid Atlantic really is just a function of that folding at the hemispheric scale fascinating really

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We have some up here with some odd fetishes, Fuk the HHH, If I wanted it I would live in the south, This season so far and upcoming is not the norm.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Great weather for building the pool deck with my son. Yesterday was pretty hot for it.  Today we got the hours all in and tight.  Decking tomorrow.  

Ready for this one, ordered 14 4 x 4x8 pt from Lowes Jun 7th, finally schedule delivery yesterday,  cancelled 1 hr before, due to out of stock. I was pissed, I  even had gotten a text saying they were on the truck. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

He may not if this becomes the new norm ;) 

Frankly I think that we could be seeing more of this kind of stuff because the Hadley cell expansion

I think these cut off “ tutts ” that Brian refers to are more common actually because what’s happening is establishing a broader band of easterly trades across the Atlantic and that is stranding wave components in the interface between the H cell and the lower Farrell interface latitudes

If we could keep the winters we usually get (at least snow wise, I don't care for the -35s) but couple them with summers like this, my location would be heaven 

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ready for this one, ordered 14 4 x 4x8 pt from Lowes Jun 7th, finally schedule delivery yesterday,  cancelled 1 hr before, due to out of stock. I was pissed, I  even had gotten a text saying they were on the truck. 

Did you try a local shop?  That’s what we did.  It was the small lumberyard our son worked at last summer.  
Lowes sucks at times.     

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Summer of big heat in NNE continues. Over the top ridges and we especially in CT get that natural AC off the big pond working.  I can handle heat with a breeze it's those stagnant steamy stinky days that suck the life out of anything alive.

Hot and breezy beats manky swampazz 

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I miss Cambridge but it’s definitely way less stressful living in Greenfield with regards to crime. There are occasional break-ins in town but it’s usually addicts looking for spare change.

My neighborhood is pretty chill, I lost an iPod out of my car about 10 years ago and once had some spools of copper wire taken out of my driveway.  Petty thieves around here probably have it in the back of their mind that most people in my neighborhood have hunting rifles.  lol.

I leave my car unlocked and nothing of value in it. I’d rather have them be able to open it to rifle through instead of smashing a window. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah... been a lot of that lately. I ordered a bunch of landscape timbers for pickup a few months ago to add a little height to the wall I already have.... I go to the store to pick them up... they had like 3 lol. I said, what am I supposed to do with these? Would have been nice to know before.

A beautiful morning as we reflect on a momentous anniversary in world history. It's amazing to think that thirteen little colonies had the nerve to break with the greatest super power of the age, that the men tasked with the job had the stones to sign the Declaration knowing full well they could be drawn and quartered for it. To then take on that country's military with a ragtag band of patriot farmers, suffering unconscionable privation and years of setbacks and reversals of fortune, only to emerge the shocking victors, is miraculous. Not content to rest on their laurels and savor the fruits of victory, the Founders soon thereafter recognized the shortcomings of the Articles of Confederation, and came together to birth the remarkable document that underpins and vouchsafes our republic to this very day, guaranteeing the rule of law over the arbitrary power of fickle men, codifying the rights of the individual and expressly denying powers to government for the first time in history. George Washington, setting the precedent for all executives to follow, voluntarily gave up power to return to private life after his second term, an unimaginable act in those days, underscoring his deep belief in the need for civic virtue in the new republic. Omnia reliquit servare republicam. The Society of the Cincinnati, founded by Washington's officers, and carried on today by a small band of direct descendants, seeks to preserve and sustain the spirit of fellowship and principles of the Revolution, defend those rights dearly won, and preserve the continuing union of the states. To that end, I would remind you all this morning that, whatever political banner you may wave, we are all part of a unique fellowship. I would stand shoulder to shoulder with any of you against those who would seek to deprive us of our way of life. It took but two centuries to rise from nothing to the greatest power in world history. Now, as ever, in good times and especially in bad, we must remember the sacrifice of our forebears and the principles for which they were willing to give their life. God save the American States! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dryslot said:

Covid shut down all these wood yards to process and convert wood to pressure treated so there is a shortage.

They are basically no picnic tables available anywhere in New England. My friends that own a restaurant in town here had to hire carpenters to build tables for the new outdoor arrangements.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

A beautiful morning as we reflect on a momentous anniversary in world history. It's amazing to think that thirteen little colonies had the nerve to break with the greatest super power of the age, that the men tasked with the job had the stones to sign the Declaration knowing full well they could be drawn and quartered for it. To then take on that country's military with a ragtag band of patriot farmers, suffering unconscionable privation and years of setbacks and reversals of fortune, only to emerge the shocking victors, is miraculous. Not content to rest on their laurels and savor the fruits of victory, the Founders soon thereafter recognized the shortcomings of the Articles of Confederation, and came together to birth the remarkable document that underpins and vouchsafes our republic to this very day, guaranteeing the rule of law over the arbitrary power of fickle men, codifying the rights of the individual and expressly denying powers to government for the first time in history. George Washington, setting the precedent for all executives to follow, voluntarily gave up power to return to private life after his second term, an unimaginable act in those days, underscoring his deep belief in the need for civic virtue in the new republic. Omnia reliquit servare republicam. The Society of the Cincinnati, founded by Washington's officers, and carried on today by a small band of direct descendants, seeks to preserve and sustain the spirit of fellowship and principles of the Revolution, defend those rights dearly won, and preserve the continuing union of the states. To that end, I would remind you all this morning that, whatever political banner you may wave, we are all part of a unique fellowship. I would stand shoulder to shoulder with any of you against those who would seek to deprive us of our way of life. It took but two centuries to rise from nothing to the greatest power in world history. Now, as ever, in good times and especially in bad, we must remember the sacrifice of our forebears and the principles for which they were willing to give their life. God save the American States! 

Amen.

1 hour ago, S&P said:

OT but what does Redfin get for commission? What’s the arrangement if you don’t mind me asking

It's only 1.5%, but they drop it to 1% if they broker your next purchase within 3 months.

We've always used traditional realtors.  I had been impressed with their marketing of homes since they came on the scene (I'm always looking at houses even if I'm not in a buying situation).  Among the things I noticed was the accuracy of their estimates with the ultimate purchase prices of homes.  IIRC, their estimate on our current house ended up being pretty darn close to what we ended up getting it for.  Since that time, they've upped it significantly--I'm guessing in response to the low number of houses currently on the market.  I did a really broad search yesterday of houses in ORH regardless of Zip Code that had 4+ bedrooms and 3+ baths and a price greater than $400k.  Even with that broad a search (all Zip Codes and a really only came up with 10 houses.  If your familiar with the city, there are a ton of huge circa 1900 homes that (ours in 1917) so seeing that few active is really telling.

I hope that their estimate of Pit2 is right.  They now have it nearly double what we paid for it in 2015 or 16.  Last week, we actually got a letter from a PWM realtor who was representing a couple from MA who wanted to know if we'd sell it.  We didn't even ask what they'd be willing to pay.  That's where I'm hoping to live my remaining time beginning in a few years.  Buying that one was easily the best financial decision we'll like to make in our lifetime.

I'll update you on RF once this sells.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Thanks for posting this!  It's a little surprising that it took an Australian to come up with the best movie on the time.  Like him or now, Mel makes great movies.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

They are basically no picnic tables available anywhere in New England. My friends that own a restaurant in town here had to hire carpenters to build tables for the new outdoor arrangements.

Lot of places are building outside seating and decks which compounds the issue.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks for posting this!  It's a little surprising that it took an Australian to come up with the best movie on the time.  Like him or now, Mel makes great movies.

I'm a bit surprised there haven't been many recent films on the subject since so many of the storylines are compelling.  Turn is a good TV series based on events of the time. 

We re-watched The Patriot a few weeks ago.  Wasn't quite as good as IO remember but still pretty decent. Quite a bit was fictionalized or cobbled together from unrelated stories. 

Hamilton (now on Disney+) is an interesting take on some of the people/events around then.  I want to read the book that was the source material.

Clearing a bit now.  Back to the deck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Funny recollection ;) The Patriots received all kinds of help and distraction from France among other factors. Happy 4th! :D