• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

I have crank out windows and can't come up with an easy way to install an AC unit here.
It's also a log home and the heat just gets trapped in the arched log ceilings and I can't get it scoured out easily. It'll be great in the winter I'm sure.
Just bought this for my crank windows, my open like the pic, works great with a floor unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C986TBQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Just bought this for my crank windows, my open like the pic, works great with a floor unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C986TBQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cool find. Those windows are such a pain but where there is a will there is a way and I would probably be close to going postal if I was in a hot log cabin for next week’s heat

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

That just screams break into my house easily

I think the chance of that happening where Phineas’s place is located is nearly nil.  My friend has a nice place in the lakes region.  He hasn’t locked his door in over 40 years.  He has no. Idea where the key is..lol.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think the chance of that happening where Phineas’s place is located is nearly nil.  My friend has a nice place in the lakes region.  He hasn’t locked his door in over 40 years.  He has no. Idea where the key is..lol.

The only home invasions seem to be reports of bears breaking through screen doors and tossing kitchens.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The upshot to not having expensive things around. When i lived in rural NH never locked my doors. Also i usually leave my car unlocked and windows down.

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Up there ya lol. My grandparents  place just over the border in Quebec was never locked either.. My dad lives up there now and  I dont think he ever locks his..

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The only home invasions seem to be reports of bears breaking through screen doors and tossing kitchens.

Yeah when I shut the slider on the deck I am thinking more about a bear or confused deer than a burglar. Plenty of stories of deer crashing into houses all bloody and jacked up and wrecking the place. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah when I shut the slider on the deck I am thinking more about a bear or confused deer than a burglar. Plenty of stories of deer crashing into houses all bloody and jacked up and wrecking the place. 

Also gotta watch out for a raging bull moose during the rutting season in fall. All jacked up on testosterone. They have been known to go psycho and attack people trying to shoo them off. I remember one story where a guy got attacked after the moose was curious about its reflection in a large window while passing by on the property. 

Its funny because other times of the year they are pretty skittish. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Also gotta watch out for a raging bull moose during the rutting season in fall. All jacked up on testosterone. They have been known to go psycho and attack people trying to shoo them off. I remember one story where a guy got attacked after the moose was curious about its reflection in a large window while passing by on the property. 

Its funny because other times of the year they are pretty skittish. 

Yeah, I know the signs to look for when they are about to charge. I told my kids to not assume they are just big deer and will always run away. I had a small bear on the driveway a couple weeks ago, no moose sightings yet. 

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

20 years for me although I do lock the car doors. God bless the fool who breaks in my house.

There are a lot of home break-ins in NNE, esp off-season, even in the most remote locations.  Camps and second homes are frequently hit.  Homes will also often be hit during the day when people are at work.  One technique is for the would be burglars to go to the house and knock.  If there is no answer they find a way in, if there is an answer they will ask for directions or if that is where so and so lives and then leave.  Game cams and other camera systems are being used more frequently in the area.  I know of at least two cases from late last year where the out of state home owner was alerted to movement in the house by a camera alerting their cell phone and called the police.

When I lived in Peacham, I was always amazed that there were not even more break-in because some of the houses were clearly empty in winter. The lack of any plowing made it clear no one was there.  

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I miss Cambridge but it’s definitely way less stressful living in Greenfield with regards to crime. There are occasional break-ins in town but it’s usually addicts looking for spare change.

My neighborhood is pretty chill, I lost an iPod out of my car about 10 years ago and once had some spools of copper wire taken out of my driveway.  Petty thieves around here probably have it in the back of their mind that most people in my neighborhood have hunting rifles.  lol.

• Like 1