• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am cursed this summer (or maybe every summer). I have only had about 5" for the entire 3 month period of summer if you can believe that. So many farmers here so am going to assume its just a bad summer.  

Now that MAG has gotten some decent rain the past few days, you really are the rain anus of PA. Unreal...

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

ANNOUNCEMENT 

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS 

THE FORECAST HIGH MONDAY IS 74.

SEVENTY-FOUR. 

Let’s go streaking to celebrate!

Don't get sucked in - you know darn well if there's sun you're going to crack 80. Only way you don't is if it's raining. (which it very well might) 

No one, male or female, wants to see the trainer nude. No one. I just asked my wife to verify that. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If I did not know you were such a nice guy I would say that you just found a way to call me an a-hole in the most eloquent way in history. 

Well that was interesting...we just had another cell deliver a direct knockout here. Tremendous wind and rain..probably the hardest it's rained a good while here. Bucket is at 1.17" for the day, 1.40" for the weekend. It was all proceeded by a VERY low shelf cloud that looked super ominous. 

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yea incredibly nice late summer morning. Next few days should be very nice - wet too. 

In other news I fear I caught @Voyager’s rotator cuff issue on my left shoulder. It kills me when lying down or moving it in a clockwise motion. Ugh, hope it’s not torn and just a small tear that can heal with time. 

Hope it is just sore and not an actual injury.  

• Like 1

Low humidity and great visibility today.  Surprising me a bit as I am now seeing trees changing color here.  Not Maples yet but other types.  Would say about 15-20% of the trees are now orange with the extra visibility I have today vs. the last week of humid air.

Regardless of temperatures, trees will start turning because of the reduction of sunlight.

Just a theory, but I also believe trees have a memory knowing that at a certain time, it’s time to change over.

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Yea incredibly nice late summer morning. Next few days should be very nice - wet too. 

In other news I fear I caught @Voyager’s rotator cuff issue on my left shoulder. It kills me when lying down or moving it in a clockwise motion. Ugh, hope it’s not torn and just a small tear that can heal with time. 

Oh, I hope you don't have a cuff issue. I'm already going crazy being in this sling and I still have 5 weeks to go. Then the real rehab comes after that. I'll make it, but it's a real test of patience and fortitude. Especially if you're an independent person (like me) who doesn't like relying on others for help.

Hope whatever's bugging your shoulder is minor and temporary.

52 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Oh, I hope you don't have a cuff issue. I'm already going crazy being in this sling and I still have 5 weeks to go. Then the real rehab comes after that. I'll make it, but it's a real test of patience and fortitude. Especially if you're an independent person (like me) who doesn't like relying on others for help.

Hope whatever's bugging your shoulder is minor and temporary.

I think it’s more a trap or deltoid issue - think it’s too far up to be a cuff. 

5 hours ago, Superstorm said:

Regardless of temperatures, trees will start turning because of the reduction of sunlight.

Just a theory, but I also believe trees have a memory knowing that at a certain time, it’s time to change over.

Not sure I have ever seen people viewing fall foliage in August but I heard a person today say they were up this way to see the "early Orange".   I was in Cunningham Falls State Park today (Maryland)  and it was not nearly as prevalent as in South Mountain PA.

We would usually not go to that park in the Summer because of all the DC and Baltimore people who come up but they closed swimming because the lake was too low so it was tolerable and the weather was great.  The walk to Cunningham Falls is only about 1/2 mile each way so a treat on a day like this.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime with all models pointing to a soaker over the next two days, even for the USV though not as much as the LSV, as far as I am concerned as long as we get another .25" or more by Tuesday evening your forecast verified :-).  EC's latest map plus mid to upper 50's tonight! 

image.thumb.png.36e2e8cdd2bf240fde7d086d6590349c.png

Hard to believe just how wet it might be after today. Spent the entire afternoon outdoors and walked 10 miles on a new trail to us. Great day all around.

Now to get you some rain!

42 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Hard to believe just how wet it might be after today. Spent the entire afternoon outdoors and walked 10 miles on a new trail to us. Great day all around.

Now to get you some rain!

Wow, 10 miles.  I wish I could pull that off.  I am too out of shape.  LOL.  2-4 miles is more my area.

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow, 10 miles.  I wish I could pull that off.  I am too out of shape.  LOL.  2-4 miles is more my area.

We typically walk between 3-5 miles, but it was so nice and being a new trail we kept going. Once I get myself rolling down the trail it takes some doing to get me stopped. :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure I have ever seen people viewing fall foliage in August but I heard a person today say they were up this way to see the "early Orange".   I was in Cunningham Falls State Park today (Maryland)  and it was not nearly as prevalent as in South Mountain PA.

We would usually not go to that park in the Summer because of all the DC and Baltimore people who come up but they closed swimming because the lake was too low so it was tolerable and the weather was great.  The walk to Cunningham Falls is only about 1/2 mile each way so a treat on a day like this.

That’s a beautiful state park! I started going there as a kid with my grandparents back in the 80’s and 90’s.  I’ve also taken my family there a couple of times over the last few years. 

13 hours ago, canderson said:

Hottest summer ever in Harrisburg. But where’s the heat, some say! CTP posted this today;

61E70D9A-23BE-41CF-A1BA-E6A9D09490ED.png.4af0b3d7cdd628ced6bdb4ae5e44abc2.png

I never did get to throw a response about the Mid-Atlantic folks saying where's the heat since we've been cranking through pages at a mid-winter pace this summer. Yea it has been a very hot summer in central PA. For me personally, there has definitely been summers with more blistering heat waves... but this has been one of the most consistently hot summers I can really think of. Humidity hasn't really been excessive this year, we've only had a few times where heat headlines were needed anywhere in the region. I think the combination of lack of excessive humidities and the overall dry ground conditions have contributed to the amount of 90º+ degree days seen in especially the Harrisburg/LSV area but regionwide as a whole. 

I really haven't focused on the Mid-Atlantic much, but it seems like it has been way wetter down there overall. Look at the last 90 days down there compared to PA. I know Isaias is a chunk of that, but there is still a significant + departure in that region. I would venture a guess that part of why they are saying where's the heat is because DC and surrounding counties are running a whopping 8-12" above normal since June 1st. That and Harrisburg's summer 2020 would probably be business as usual for a DC summer. 

dep_marfc_90.thumb.png.a3900eb56a43c0d5de874227a8720dd7.png