• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

I'm feeling overly optimistic that @Bubbler86 @Cashtown_Coop @CarlislePaWx @sauss06 @Anduril @canderson @paweather @paweather5 and all of the Lanco peeps are going to get some decent rain in the next 36 hours. I'll define "decent" as > .25". I know a lot of you measure rainfall as I do so we'll see how this goes. :) 

@Blizzard of 93 - you're going to jackpot with 2" - just think of what that might translate to in 4 months...

2" of cold rain. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

People will envision the movie "The Day after tomorrow" and show pictures of that Lake Charles Skyscraper having their windows blown out and say "That's coming to NY".

But it will be much worse since the skyscrapers in NYC are taller and therefore will have far more windows blown out. 

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm feeling overly optimistic that @Bubbler86 @Cashtown_Coop @CarlislePaWx @sauss06 @Anduril @canderson @paweather @paweather5 and all of the Lanco peeps are going to get some decent rain in the next 36 hours. I'll define "decent" as > .25". I know a lot of you measure rainfall as I do so we'll see how this goes. :) 

@Blizzard of 93 - you're going to jackpot with 2" - just think of what that might translate to in 4 months...

Got em 

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We will take it.  We need it badly.  And LOL at the Blizz comment. 

26 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Stocks are going to go negative!!!

It is sort of an interesting "civil war" here on the boards with Sandy. 

My wife and I spent a week volunteering on Long Island to help with relief efforts. What we saw and experienced is something that I'll never forget. I can understand the emotion and respect given to that storm from the people who actually lived through it. 

Having said that - my wife also went to Houston to help with relief efforts after Harvey. Can't really compare the two storms, but on a very personal level they were remarkably similar. The personal toll and devastation was very raw, very real at the human level. In both situations, the emotional response from the residents was something special. My wife's team was rebuilding a home in Pearland - people that were obviously complete strangers, but for that family to have an army of volunteers to come in to their home and clean up and rebuild was equally special and emotional for my wife and her team to help as it was for the family whose home they rebuilt. 

It's sort of a shame that Sandy has become almost divisive. When a storm, any storm, affects YOUR neighborhood and YOUR livelihood, it becomes very personal. Sure, it's easy and "fun" to compare storms and their effects but I wish people would just be respectful and understanding when people share their feelings because to them - it's personal. For those that went through Sandy - Sandy is the benchmark. For those living in Tuscaloosa back in 2011 (my wife also provided relief there) it's personal. For those in Houston who went through Harvey - it's personal. Let's respect that and resist saying that my storm was worse than yours was. It's sort of pointless at that level. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Here come all the stories of how NYC will be destroyed. 

If a stalling sub-950 mb hurricane comes up and hits NJ/NY from the southwest keeping the rivers and harbor in the NE eyewayll ... that's gonna create issues that will destroy so many sectors of this economy and culture I don't even know what to say. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife and I spent a week volunteering on Long Island to help with relief efforts. What we saw and experienced is something that I'll never forget. I can understand the emotion and respect given to that storm from the people who actually lived through it. 

Having said that - my wife also went to Houston to help with relief efforts after Harvey. Can't really compare the two storms, but on a very personal level they were remarkably similar. The personal toll and devastation was very raw, very real at the human level. In both situations, the emotional response from the residents was something special. My wife's team was rebuilding a home in Pearland - people that were obviously complete strangers, but for that family to have an army of volunteers to come in to their home and clean up and rebuild was equally special and emotional for my wife and her team to help as it was for the family whose home they rebuilt. 

It's sort of a shame that Sandy has become almost divisive. When a storm, any storm, affects YOUR neighborhood and YOUR livelihood, it becomes very personal. Sure, it's easy and "fun" to compare storms and their effects but I wish people would just be respectful and understanding when people share their feelings because to them - it's personal. For those that went through Sandy - Sandy is the benchmark. For those living in Tuscaloosa back in 2011 (my wife also provided relief there) it's personal. For those in Houston who went through Harvey - it's personal. Let's respect that and resist saying that my storm was worse than yours was. It's sort of pointless at that level. 

Thank you for helping during Harvey. I know so many who lost everything - including family. They lived in Pearland, you might have helped someone we know. Small world. 

Also the Cajun Navy was one of the most amazing things to witness - ever. 

36 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Great story of how you helped and others.  I did not know Sandy was a divisive topic.   It was not a roaring Cat 4 barreling into NY Harbor at full speed but did plenty of damage on its own.  There have just been those TV shows and posts about what would happen NY got into the eye wall of such an event and how it would destroy much of the US Economy (as I noticed Canderson just posted about). Every time the GFS shows a Hurricane anywhere near NY the stories resurface.   

Well its the GFS and I feel its been throwing a lot of false "positives" lately but  this 24 QPF map from the early next week rains is quite juicy and hopefuly since Euro has been keying on it as well though Euro has been more east.  In both of my stints at weather boards I can never remember a time I spent this much effort to find rain.  Not sure if it is due to how I feel about this drought or getting older or a combo of both. 

image.thumb.png.c78ed47ba9f59e11bcf07e543ee7bfb5.png

The HRRR is on the ball today with both its initialization and continuity over several runs.  It has the large blob of Northern rain ending up being more spotty in southern PA but then much of the LSV gets the goods overnight to the tune of what appears to be fairly sizable areas of 2.5 or 3" tally's.   The Itstrainingtime rains of late August 2020. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Great story of how you helped and others.  I did not know Sandy was a divisive topic.   It was not a roaring Cat 4 barreling into NY Harbor at full speed but did plenty of damage on its own.  There have just been those TV shows and posts about what would happen NY got into the eye wall of such an event and how it would destroy much of the US Economy (as I noticed Canderson just posted about). Every time the GFS shows a Hurricane anywhere near NY the stories resurface.   

It's become divisive because with every tropical system that impacts the U.S., a bunch of posters from NY will chime in and start making comparisons from that particular system to Sandy. Some people from outside of that area are so sick of hearing about Sandy all the time they've asked if the name "Sandy" can be banned from use on these forums. 

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yeah just checked the radar and it looks like you can add a few to that.  Hope this isnt virtual rain (like much of late).  We all need the real deal.

good luck and TGIFF.

Nutter

• Haha 1

Eric Horst just announced his retirement as director Meteorology at MU. He's going to do some weather consulting and expand on his rock climbing business. Our area will miss his local expertise, and no one in here will have to listen to me any longer about him. :( 

Wait - he did say that he'll continue to talk weather on Twitter. :) 

31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's become divisive because with every tropical system that impacts the U.S., a bunch of posters from NY will chime in and start making comparisons from that particular system to Sandy. Some people from outside of that area are so sick of hearing about Sandy all the time they've asked if the name "Sandy" can be banned from use on these forums. 

Well it went from Hurricane to No Cane is 6 hours so the NY'ers can go back to being grumpy about other stuff.