• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

14 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

The drought monitor only goes back to 2000 I believe. This drought is definitely getting pretty severe in the short term sense when it comes to vegetation and stream levels, but we're not in a long term one yet that really gets into stuff like groundwater/reservoir issues yet. A reversal of the dry pattern for a few weeks (or a tropical system strike over the whole area) would probably shore up a lot of the issues. If this general pattern remains into the fall and early winter than we could be dealing with a more long term drought. 

Most of the main river/stream gauges have top 5 low water records to go with their top crests. There's a couple gauges where their current level would be about 4th-5th on the top 5 but most of them aren't that low yet for a top (or I guess bottom) 5. The 1960s decade seems to have a lot of low water records over several waterways. It seems like that was a decade that had a good bit of drought. 

The most recent drought map is out and if you read the dialog for the NE they mention deficits of 4-8" in 90 days in New England pushing those areas to D2 so it all does not seem overly consistent to me.  

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

That chart is horrifically bad. Not the data, the design. Yikes. 

I think the take away is that the West,  North and Central got worse.   South Central stayed terrible (average rain after being double digits down is not good) and much of the East, especially S/E,  piled it on.  LOL.

A crisp 51.8 degrees here for me this morning.  A sure sign that summer is waning.

Another sign is that we are precisely half-way (length-of-day-wise) to the equinox.  We've lost 1 hour and 32 minutes since the solstice and have 13 hours and 31 minutes of daylight today.  We have one hour and 31 minutes left to go before equal day and night.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

A crisp 51.8 degrees here for me this morning.  A sure sign that summer is waning.

Another sign is that we are precisely half-way (length-of-day-wise) to the equinox.  We've lost 1 hour and 32 minutes since the solstice and have 13 hours and 31 minutes of daylight today.  We have one hour and 31 minutes left to go before equal day and night.

Wow, you were a full 10 degrees below me. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think the take away is that the West,  North and Central got worse.   South Central stayed terrible (average rain after being double digits down is not good) and much of the East, especially S/E,  piled it on.  LOL.

I'm lousy at reading things like that - must be because it's so bad like Canderson said. Isn't that map depicting that your area is above normal precipitation? 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm lousy at reading things like that - must be because it's so bad like Canderson said. Isn't that map depicting that your area is above normal precipitation? 

Its saying 125% of normal the last 30 days.  Which means if we should have received 3" the last 30 days we got a little over that which sounds about right.   But does little to change the 8-10" deficit for the last 120 or so days.  We need way over normal to catch up.   So if we were 10" below normal coming into the 30 days and got 1/2" over normal we are now 9.5" below normal. 

This focused on DC but it has some significance here also so I’ll copy it. There has been some discussion about QBO correlations and Nina. My findings don’t show much truth to that at least wrt snowfall. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@CAPE I’ll post the h5 composites later when I have time but looking at the last 15 Nina’s going back all the way to 1984 I see absolutely no significant correlation between the QBO and snowfall in our area. 1996 skews things horribly on those plots. Truth is 4 of the 5 worst Nina snowfall years in DC were negative QBO.  1989/2001/2008/2012. The one awful positive qbo winter was 2017. On the other hand if you take out 1996 the 2 next best snowfall Nina years at DC we’re 1986 and 2000 both +QBO. Truth is other than 1996 Nina’s all are a range between totally god awful and average wrt snowfall. With the stj absent in Nina’s getting above avg snow is just VERY unlikely. But the QBO does not seem to have any statistically significant predicting value on differentiating between the really awful Nina snowfall years and the decent ones.

When I have time I will look at the enso profiles (East/West/basin wide Nina) and north pac SSTs to see if one of those is a better predictor if Nina outcomes. Hopefully not north pac sst as those look like hot garbage right now also. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Its saying 125% of normal the last 30 days.  Which means if we should have received 3" the last 30 days we got a little over that which sounds about right.   But does little to change the 8-10" deficit for the last 120 or so days.  We need way over normal to catch up.   So if we were 10" below normal coming into the 30 days and got 1/2" over normal we are now 9.5" below normal. 

Thanks. That's what I thought I was seeing, and I also misread your comments on the map. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I swear I saw this exact map about this time last year lol. Yup.. we got the worst of winter alright.

someone sounds a bit snakebit.....

:P

We'd all love for you to drum up a good map for us (although good as useful, and looking good are two very different things).  

If we can get enso into mild la nina, how do you feel about it in our hoods?