• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Looks like some boring weather days this week although not the heat. The West is getting the excessive heat now not a good time as wildfire season is approaching. 

I jimage.png.7d77f6ea5e2a5e53d224bfa776208daa.png

Just took the Drought 2020 version of a Jebwalk.  Here is the front yard post the rain the past week or two.  Dead on dead.  Hopefully no one drops a match on it.  

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Interesting.  I like how you can put a zip code in and it focuses the bottom graph on your area since 2000.  

If you click that graph on the bottom it'll actually change the map to what it looked like down to the week. Most of the Sus Valley (and no one east of the river) currently isn't even in D0, if you really want dry click around Mid-March 2002, a good portion of the lower Sus Valley was red (extreme D3). Guess I never realized how dry that non-winter was in 2001-2002. As dry as it's been for well.. most in here, we're still in what would be considered a short term drought. 

138531118_ScreenShot2020-08-18at1_26_48PM.thumb.png.d9f153817226c2f05d33b320d2dae498.png

12 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

If you click that graph on the bottom it'll actually change the map to what it looked like down to the week. Most of the Sus Valley (and no one east of the river) currently isn't even in D0, if you really want dry click around Mid-March 2002, a good portion of the lower Sus Valley was red (extreme D3). Guess I never realized how dry that non-winter was in 2001-2002. As dry as it's been for well.. most in here, we're still in what would be considered a short term drought. 

138531118_ScreenShot2020-08-18at1_26_48PM.thumb.png.d9f153817226c2f05d33b320d2dae498.png

Excellent Glad you like it Mag. 

32 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I saw that yet I have never been involved in a double digit deficit over a 3 month period like we were in July and going back into it now with almost no rain in two weeks.   it was not even that bad in Florida during the wildfires that closed I95 back in the mid 2000's.  I guess the precursor wet spring limited the drought rating of this drought but definitely the driest 3 month period I can recall.  Part of the deal is that the dry months were also supposed to be the 3 wettest months of the year I believe. 

Correction-May and June are the two wettest months on Average at MDT.  July is not number 3, September is.    

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I saw that yet I have never been involved in a double digit deficit over a 3 month period like we were in July and going back into it now with almost no rain in two weeks.   it was not even that bad in Florida during the wildfires that closed I95 back in the mid 2000's.  I guess the precursor wet spring limited the drought rating of this drought but definitely the driest 3 month period I can recall.  Part of the deal is that the dry months were also supposed to be the 3 wettest months of the year I believe. 

Correction-May and June are the two wettest months on Average at MDT.  July is not number 3, September is.    

Which climate station has a double digit deficit over 3 months? Any departure like that in this region is pretty severe. That would be like literally having no precipitation for 90 days for most areas in this region.  I know MDT has been pretty dry but certainly not to that degree. The precip departure in the monthly climate summaries from May/June/July were -1.90"/+0.21/-3.26". So that's pretty sizable (especially July)  but not double digits. That's also not including Hurricane Isaias and those couple wet days either side the first week of August which has MDT at 3.45" for the current month (already running slightly above August's 3.2" average). That puts MDT departures at -1.39" since June 1st and -0.01" since January 1st. Likely why the drought monitor's D0 zone barely gets to the river in the Sus Valley. Those are pretty ordinary numbers.

1448133957_ScreenShot2020-08-18at4_53_50PM.png.446982ce27bf421c7c1ab47abfff49cf.png

14 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Which climate station has a double digit deficit over 3 months? Any departure like that in this region is pretty severe. That would be like literally having no precipitation for 90 days for most areas in this region.  I know MDT has been pretty dry but certainly not to that degree. The precip departure in the monthly climate summaries from May/June/July were -1.90"/+0.21/-3.26". So that's pretty sizable (especially July)  but not double digits. That's also not including Hurricane Isaias and those couple wet days either side the first week of August which has MDT at 3.45" for the current month (already running slightly above August's 3.2" average). That puts MDT departures at -1.39" since June 1st and -0.01" since January 1st. Likely why the drought monitor's D0 zone barely gets to the river in the Sus Valley. Those are pretty ordinary numbers.

1448133957_ScreenShot2020-08-18at4_53_50PM.png.446982ce27bf421c7c1ab47abfff49cf.png

When you say climate station you will have to trust my own measurements which are not scientific but are close enough talk about large scale deficits.  The average rain for MDT for May, June and July is somewhere in the area of 12".  Until Late July my house had received about 2.25" from early May to that late July point putting us about 10" behind normal for MDT.  We rose to about 5" with the recent rains in late July and early August  but now have gone over two weeks with less than 3/4" total so if you say one should have 15-16" for May-end of August we have had about 5.75" in that time frame putting us back up to about a double digit deficit again if it does not rain much in the next week to 10 days. .  We only had about 1.25" from the Hurricane here.  HGR is much closer to me than MDT but I have been using MDT to keep with the theme of this forum but I am actually about 60 miles west of MDT.  @Cashtown_Coop can give much more exact measurements and he had about 2.25" in a day once recently so he is not going to be double digit but I suspect he is 6-8" behind normal from early May to late August. 

49 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

When you say climate station you will have to trust my own measurements which are not scientific but are close enough talk about large scale deficits.  The average rain for MDT for May, June and July is somewhere in the area of 12".  Until Late July my house had received about 2.25" from early May to that late July point putting us about 10" behind normal for MDT.  We rose to about 5" with the recent rains in late July and early August  but now have gone over two weeks with less than 3/4" total so if you say one should have 15-16" for May-end of August we have had about 5.75" in that time frame putting us back up to about a double digit deficit again if it does not rain much in the next week to 10 days. .  We only had about 1.25" from the Hurricane here.  HGR is much closer to me than MDT but I have been using MDT to keep with the theme of this forum but I am actually about 60 miles west of MDT.  @Cashtown_Coop can give much more exact measurements and he had about 2.25" in a day once recently so he is not going to be double digit but I suspect he is 6-8" behind normal from early May to late August. 

Yea I definitely don't doubt there's more localized parts of the area that have been a lot worse off, and the center of the widespread drought conditions have been persisting right in the middle of the state. I knew you were down there west of Cashtown, there's just not a lot of official climate sites. I take your word for it, I mean I'm in the same boat haha but I dunno if I got a double digit deficit. If I were to make an educated guess based off of KAOO"s climate numbers which is 20 miles south of here, I'd say we're probably 6-8" off May/June/July. I need to get a weather station rigged up at my place so I can start keeping track of this stuff more accurately here.  I was actually surprised to see MDT wasn't that far off average wise, although it looked like they were about 4-5" off until the first week of August with the hurricane and thunderstorms.   

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Some home insurances will cover re-sodding a yard destroyed by a drought...just a thought.   Otherwise the triple point supercell in the pic will have to do I guess. 

Haha yea I'm just trying to get some water on the lawn in a couple places at time. I have a pretty big yard and I'm trying not to rack up the water bill too much haha. It was pretty well established so I'm hoping it's dormant and not completely roasted. Guess I'll find out. 

• Like 1