• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

SO what is the meaning of  areal precip?  I know most of the LSV is below normal for the last 60 days so it cannot mean actual precip. Here if you take Mid June to Mid August we are about 4" below "average" 

The areal precip would be each county-wide average that is likely derived from their products/maps that estimate precip. So while the overall average on a county is a certain number, there can be portions of that county that actually saw less or more than that number. Centre county has been well, dead center in the driest conditions all summer so definitely no surprise that county is running significantly below average. In this county (Blair) I can pretty much assure you I've seen nowhere near the  3.7" of precip in the last 60 days in my neighborhood. 

2B33DD45-8153-46EC-89CD-02FC683D0329.thumb.jpeg.17522b521b5a8c688c4bb2aa9684100b.jpeg

Just now, MAG5035 said:

The areal precip would be each county-wide average that is likely derived from their products/maps that estimate precip. So while the overall average on a county is a certain number, there can be portions of that county that actually saw less or more than that number. Centre county has been well, dead center in the driest conditions all summer so definitely no surprise that county is running significantly below average. In this county (Blair) I can pretty much assure you I've seen nowhere near the  3.7" of precip in the last 60 days in my neighborhood. 

I was guessing as such but did not want to laugh at our total of 7" (that is more than I had in May, June, July and August combined).  Northern Franklin county is skewing my area.

Thanks for the reply!

On 8/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, paweather said:

A little fun Rank your top 5 snowstorms in our area of all time:

#1 is a no brainer for me: Superstorm 1993.

#2 Blizzard of 96

#3 February 1983 Blizzard - Only because I was off school for at least a couple of days. :-) 

#4 2011 Halloween Nor'easter - Just because it was Halloween. 

#5  2003 - President Day Nor'easter. 

#1 was the beast!

Here is my top 5 :

1. Blizzard of 1993 - (Surprised?) 2 feet of snow in the Harrisburg area, crazy wind, drifting, historic national impact.

2. January of 2016 - #1 snowstorm total of all time of 30 inches at Harrisburg. That might be a record amount that stands for decades.

3. February of 2003- Long duration of snow that began on Sunday morning with temperatures in the single digits and continued until Monday afternoon, delivering around 2 feet to Harrisburg.

4. January of 1996-Great historic region wide snowstorm. This storm began one of the greatest weeks of Winter weather ever in Harrisburg. 2 Feet of snow from the blizzard, 2 or 3 inches from a Clipper a couple of days later, then another coastal storm that dropped around 10 more inches of snow at the end of that week.

5. February 5th 2010- The first of the 2 back to back great snowstorms that hit that week. This first storm delivered 18 inches of snow to Harrisburg. The next best part was digging out from that storm while tracking another great snowstorm that was going to arrive just 5 days later!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I know - which is why I made sure to specifically say "down this way" :) Hopefully there aren't those kind of cutoffs anytime soon. 

I hope not. I'm a go big or go home type of guy. Two inch snowfalls don't cut it for me. Watching those heavy echos stream northward and then just get eaten up by dry air was maddening.

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

The NAM was epically correct once way back in January 2016. 

That’s my favorite snowstorm! 

The NAM also did well with a couple of the big storms during the 2009-10 winter, at least in the LSV. It was the first to insist on the north trend. The Euro came along thereafter and the GFS got on board about 6 hours into the storms.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The NAM also did well with a couple of the big storms during the 2009-10 winter, at least in the LSV. It was the first to insist on the north trend. The Euro came along thereafter and the GFS got on board about 6 hours into the storms.

Remember the storm around Valentine’s Day 2014 that gave us around 10 inches of snow? The GFS had no clue until most of us already had a few inches of snow on the ground!