Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

64 here to start the day. Not bad!

Tropical Storm ended the heat wave.   Helped open the pipeline to some of that nice Canada air that was sitting up there.  Actually I think the trajectory of it not veering to the east of the continent really helped set us up for a couple nice days temp wise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Guessing that is your first time into the 60's in quite some time?  We got to 59 around 7AM. 

I believe so - not sure if I got below 70 in all of July actually. I don't keep records though. 

Just think - in about six weeks we can start tracking arctic air plunges! 

So I mentioned Tropical Storm Lee the other day and that got me thinking...what was the weather like in 2011 before that event? Sort of interesting discovery even if it means literally nothing. 

• In 2011 we had AN precipitation in spring (same as this year, except for Rouzerville)
  • In 2011 we had a very hot July, including a 103 reading at MDT. (we had a record-setting hot July this year)
  • In 2011 July was very dry. (We all know how dry it's been this year)

So while all of that might be purely coincidental, maybe just maybe we'll turn things around over the coming months. (though hopefully not to the extreme that we did in September 2011)

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So I mentioned Tropical Storm Lee the other day and that got me thinking...what was the weather like in 2011 before that event? Sort of interesting discovery even if it means literally nothing. 

• In 2011 we had AN precipitation in spring (same as this year, except for Rouzerville)
  • In 2011 we had a very hot July, including a 103 reading at MDT. (we had a record-setting hot July this year)
  • In 2011 July was very dry. (We all know how dry it's been this year)

So while all of that might be purely coincidental, maybe just maybe we'll turn things around over the coming months. (though hopefully not to the extreme that we did in September 2011)

We had AN precip most of the spring as well.  It all stopped in May.    Cashtown and west went into the land of parched. 

5 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Guessing that is your first time into the 60's in quite some time?  We got to 59 around 7AM. 

CTP answered this for MDT - but the city has been a degree or two warmer all summer. They tweeted:

This morning at 6:56 AM the temperature dropped to 69.1 degrees at Harrisburg International Airport (KMDT). This is the first reading below 70F at KMDT since July 18th.  It will be noticeably cooler across  PA tonight with temps dropping into the 40s in the northern mountains!

18 hours ago, paweather said:

That's Right Bubbler, Nut does stray over to the MA board I am guessing just to get some laughs. 

I've said it before, I stray to discuss patterns and snow opps.  Like Blizz....its what I love....the hunt.  Sometimes it gets a little quiet and or gloomy here, so I go in search of convo.  Not bashing, just callin it as it is sometimes.  We all know what I'm talking about. 

I'm trying to to my part in being a good sport this year (during warm months), and hope we have lots to chat about in CTP this year. Weak Nina is early look, and I will take that for now.  As I alluded to last year, I feel analogs/indices are not quiet as useful as they used to be as it feels like the base state (GW or ???) may be warming enough that it's literally "up in the air".  I worry that the MA which is historically the battleground for snow, may be eeking north as we lose the cold in the arctic.  JMO's but we'll know soon enough...and as i get older, I enjoy the 4 seasons more than i used to.....but NOTHING will ever beat those first fresh air masses of fall, the leaves, and the excitement for winters arrival....even when its a ratter like last year (for LSV it was anyways).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

CTP answered this for MDT - but the city has been a degree or two warmer all summer. They tweeted:

This morning at 6:56 AM the temperature dropped to 69.1 degrees at Harrisburg International Airport (KMDT). This is the first reading below 70F at KMDT since July 18th.  It will be noticeably cooler across  PA tonight with temps dropping into the 40s in the northern mountains!

Interesting...and 40's for BFD :-).

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I've said it before, I stray to discuss patterns and snow opps.  Like Blizz....its what I love....the hunt.  Sometimes it gets a little quiet and or gloomy here, so I go in search of convo.  Not bashing, just callin it as it is sometimes.  We all know what I'm talking about. 

I'm trying to to my part in being a good sport this year (during warm months), and hope we have lots to chat about in CTP this year.  Mild Nina is early look, and I will take that for now.  As I alluded to last year, I feel analogs/indices are not quiet as useful as they used to be as it feels like the base state (GW or ???) may be warming enough that it's literally "up in the air".  I worry that the MA which is historically the battleground for snow, may be eeking north as we lose the cold in the arctic.  JMO's but we'll know soon enough...and as i get older, I enjoy the 4 seasons more than i used to.....but NOTHING will ever beat those first fresh air masses of fall, the leaves, and the excitement for winters arrival....even when its a ratter like last year (for LSV it was anyways).

I do the same thing as well, there are some on that board that offers a lot of great information. I do miss waking up to Blizz and his excitement from last night's models depicting a snowstorm. Before you know it, it will be here. I am still in shock at myself excited for yesterday's Trop Storm but this is the year now that is turning me into a 4 season guy. Sorry guys. in advanced. :-( 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm trying to to my part in being a good sport this year (during warm months), and hope we have lots to chat about in CTP this year.  Mild Nina is early look, and I will take that for now.  As I alluded to last year, I feel analogs/indices are not quiet as useful as they used to be as it feels like the base state (GW or ???) may be warming enough that it's literally "up in the air".  I worry that the MA which is historically the battleground for snow, may be eeking north as we lose the cold in the arctic.  JMO's but we'll know soon enough...and as i get older, I enjoy the 4 seasons more than i used to.....but NOTHING will ever beat those first fresh air masses of fall, the leaves, and the excitement for winters arrival....even when its a ratter like last year (for LSV it was anyways).

And just to clarify I was not mocking or saying anything negative about you just saying Blizz is the first one to push the "Here comes the goods" button. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And just to clarify I was not mocking or saying anything negative about you just saying Blizz is the first one to push the "Here comes the goods" button. 

all good .  No worries.  I like to send long lead hints....he is the day to day guy.  We make a good team IMO.  

Agree, GW or climate shift is keeping that cold air further north. Last year even SNE was not that great for snow. That to me was alarming.

12 hours ago, canderson said:

Sunday through the at least midweek looks like we are back into the 90s. :(

Still trying to find support for this on the models.  Maybe someone is doing actual meteorology.  Even the hot boy Euro only hits 90 once in MDT over the next 10 days.  Now one could argue if we are always modeled a few degrees too low....

GFS throws us into the Fryer past 10 days.