• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

kinda odd my zone forecast has 93, 94, 90 for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. 

The only model that has anything like that is the EC.   CMC approached it one day but Friday was actually low 80's on most.   I do not believe the EC shows any 60's either so its on its own from the ones I looked at.  Does not mean it is wrong.  EC would certainly clinch the record if true. 

Just now, Cashtown_Coop said:

I have an attic fan and it’s the best.    I grew up with one at my parents as well and it draws so much fresh air in 

Yea, those things are GREAT.  I love them as long as its dry out.  There are actually places in Florida with those and I could never understand how that worked.  Nighttime is the most humid time so it would make your house into a wet -n- wild.

20 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Think it’s a mix of lower elevation from surrounding areas and fact it’s in river valley. Where it’s extra hot in summer, the same characteristics make it a great CAD spot for some reason. Lol I’m far from expert but but think those things factor into why we get so hot.

Makes sense.  it is a rather large valley and a big enough basin to capture the heat..  

edit -  saw trainers comments about downsloping and that likely factors in as well.  I remember my college days staring at the mountain waiting for snow and how it held at elevation while the valley was slushbombs or white rain.  

59 minutes ago, canderson said:

70 was my low. 80 already at 9 am. 

I predict a high of 91. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Keeps your hope for a record alive.  Mid 60's probably would have killed it. 

86.4 here at 10:10am...we got this. 

I saw irrigation going on yesterday afternoon in places that I've never seen. She's drying and dying quickly...

54 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

86.4 here at 10:10am...we got this. 

I saw irrigation going on yesterday afternoon in places that I've never seen. She's drying and dying quickly...

Part of the new norm of our weather I guess.  I worry that I missed the big snow storm craze of the few years before I got back here and am not stuck with slop storms most winters.  Hopefully not. 

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Doesn't look like we get rid of this insane heat for a while. Although it does look like per 6z GFS we will get more rain chances coming up. 

I keep seeing a let up in the heat when looking at LR models. The Euro has turned into the hot model and it is less on there but other stuff is suggesting 80's and 60's a lot more often.   Thought I saw one panel in the 50's next week for MDT. 

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I keep seeing a let up in the heat when looking at LR models. The Euro has turned into the hot model and it is less on there but other stuff is suggesting 80's and 60's a lot more often.   Thought I saw one panel in the 50's next week for MDT. 

Nice. I hope we get the 80's back in August!

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

looking at GFS ens guidance suggests normalish weather with a couple warm days sprinkled in.

Precip chances also seem to pop every few days.  Sure hope its correct.

Big takeaway....heat pump is temporarily broke.  Need to watch the ridging out west as it is close to rolling over into the central basin, which would fire the furnace back up.

20 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

looking at GFS ens guidance suggests normalish weather with a couple warm days sprinkled in.

Precip chances also seem to pop every few days.  Sure hope its correct.

Big takeaway....heat pump is temporarily broke.  Need to watch the ridging out west as it is close to rolling over into the central basin, which would fire the furnace back up.

Yea, definitively more of a humid look vs. hot.    It is humid today out here.  I was at the dentist today and she had the drill out and kept have to stop to wipe her glass from condensation despite the building being conditioned.  Makes me hope that they can stop wearing glasses and masks soon. 

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

Nice. I hope we get the 80's back in August!

Yea, some more "normal" weather with more rain.   My grass is done for the season but the ponds and streams need water.  I cannot imagine what @Cashtown_Coop pond looks like (the one he showed us last month). Probably like the surface of the moon. 

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, definitively more of a humid look vs. hot.    It is humid today out here.  I was at the dentist today and she had the drill out and kept have to stop to wipe her glass from condensation despite the building being conditioned.  Makes me hope that can stop wearing glasses and masks soon. 

verbatim, first week of august looks like airflow from SW, but before and after looks like warm and more arid conditions w/ flow from WNW.

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, some more "normal" weather with more rain.   My grass is done for the season but the ponds and streams need water.  I cannot imagine what @Cashtown_Coop pond looks like (the one he showed us last month). Probably like the surface of the moon. 

My grass is like burnt toast. :-) 

Every time we have a dry summer or even just a dry stretch of days, I'm amazed at how quickly things dry and burn. Get a run of several 90+ degree days and little to no rainfall and things start dying out quickly. Having said that, this will likely be the first week all season that I won't HAVE to mow - up until now my yard has needed cut every 5-6 days. I'm going to give it a break this week. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every time we have a dry summer or even just a dry stretch of days, I'm amazed at how quickly things dry and burn. Get a run of several 90+ degree days and little to no rainfall and things start dying out quickly. Having said that, this will likely be the first week all season that I won't HAVE to mow - up until now my yard has needed cut every 5-6 days. I'm going to give it a break this week. 

I saw my neighbor out mowing the weeds a few days ago...the grass is all dead but stuff is still growing...and it looked like Pig-Pen.  There was a cloud of dust surrounding him the whole time.  Do not know how he was breathing.   But yea anyone mowing now needs to move the deck up. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Hopefully I am not bothering anyone with the tropical talk but this has potential to be a drought denter for many.  EC op is now in play.  Weak storm but 1-3" of rain for the LSV.  Here is the total accums through the storm.  Much of this is from the storm itself but some is prior.

image.thumb.png.86e4fb97d95b3341b9522ee276f1e257.png

Are you kidding? Why would talking tropics be a bother? I mean, we can only come on so many times and say it's 91...93...95...you get the point. 

Any type of anomalous weather is fun to track. I've been following the tropic threads closely. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

Chris you busted, its 94

You've been consistently running a few degrees ahead of me this summer. I'm at my high for the day, and exactly what he predicted this morning. 91 on the nose. 

It must be that I'm opening my back door a lot and some of my 65 degree air is chilling my sensor. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Are you kidding? Why would talking tropics be a bother? I mean, we can only come on so many times and say it's 91...93...95...you get the point. 

Any type of anomalous weather is fun to track. I've been following the tropic threads closely. :) 

Its still a bit out in fantasy land.  Not seeing how this becomes a major storm but rain producer is definitely in play. 

• Like 1