• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Uhhhhh we most definitely have met then. I get CnF takeout weekly. 

haha, now i'm very curious.  As soon as i'm actually allowed bar guest once more and get a back down there on a regular scheduled night i'll let you know and treat you and any guest to a couple drinks on me.

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

haha, now i'm very curious.  As soon as i'm actually allowed bar guest once more and get a back down there on a regular scheduled night i'll let you know and treat you and any guest to a couple drinks on me.

Deal! I’m holding you to this lol. 

And I also greatly prefer the HBG location. The CH one in the old car dealership has no soul imo. 

6 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Amazing.  11:40 pm and my temp is 85 degrees with a heat index of 90!!  WOW.  Like Arizona but with humidity which is currently 61% instead of 15%.  High today here was 96.  Highest so far this season was 97.5 a couple days ago.

i was coming home from a BOD meeting last night at 10, i had 88 and i was thinking this has to be what Texas is like. i had 99 for yesterdays high. 

10 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

I can probably take full blame for this heat as on July 4th a few too many beers consumed I took the bet that for the rest of of July I could log 250 miles walking for $250 of beer.  Well tonight after getting off work around 4 I logged 12 miles which put me at 252 for the month.  Better yet, my friend who made the bet joined me and starting regretting it after mile 4 but made it the whole way after I made sure he drank about 72 oz of water with mio electrolytes in it.  What I learned is its possible to loose 20lbs of actual fat, while losing 2 pants sizes, while drinking 75 beers in a month.  One does actually get used to the heat as 98 with the breeze felt like cake today.  I actually can get sorta tan.  I feel about 10 years younger.  Walking on black pavement in the beating 98 degree sun produces produces temperatures well into the 100's quite easily and after a few of those endeavors a hike in actual tree cover in 98 degree heat feels like life on easy mode.  Its possible to sit outside with it being 89, a heat index of 97, and actually have a thought that it feels kinda chilly.  The path on front st along the river is a treasure which I never fully appreciated till now.  I have witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life with this heat this month.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I plan on cutting back my almost 10 mile a day average for at least a week or two so I expect the heat to break soon.

12 miles, wow.  Just the time it takes to do that makes it a no go for so many! 

12 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

This post made me wonder if Bradford has ever hit 100.  They have not.    99 in 2011.

https://www.plantmaps.com/pennsylvania-record-high-and-low-temperature-map.php

I always wonder why Wspt is such a hot spot?  It always seems to over preform in the heat dept when one would think they are far enough into the Appalachian chain to be safer than they are?  

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

I always wonder why Wspt is such a hot spot?  It always seems to over preform in the heat dept when one would think they are far enough into the Appalachian chain to be safer than they are?  

Think it’s a mix of lower elevation from surrounding areas and fact it’s in river valley. Where it’s extra hot in summer, the same characteristics make it a great CAD spot for some reason. Lol I’m far from expert but but think those things factor into why we get so hot.

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Think it’s a mix of lower elevation from surrounding areas and fact it’s in river valley. Where it’s extra hot in summer, the same characteristics make it a great CAD spot for some reason. Lol I’m far from expert but but think those things factor into why we get so hot.

I think that's exactly right. Probably a good amount of down sloping from the surrounding ridges. I travel the turnpike a lot and see the same thing happen in Breezewood - it's often 3-5 degrees cooler up on Sideling Hill compared to the land of hotels...

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I think that's exactly right. Probably a good amount of down sloping from the surrounding ridges. I travel the turnpike a lot and see the same thing happen in Breezewood - it's often 3-5 degrees cooler up on Sideling Hill compared to the land of hotels...

It’s a really interesting thing to see such difference in temps in nearby locations. I love traveling through that area, such a neat area to take in.

11 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

It’s a really interesting thing to see such difference in temps in nearby locations. I love traveling through that area, such a neat area to take in.

We get that a lot here in Tamaqua in the winter. The CAD will often have us 10+ degrees COLDER than Hazleton in the early morning.

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

I'd literally like to shatter this one.....just sayin ;)

Scanning over the 12Z stuff, no Euro yet, I would say that only the CMC would suggest the record is broken at MDT.  GFS, Nam, Icon all keep MDT at or below 90 from here on out with several nights in the 60's.  All models keep Friday in the low 80's as well except the icon in the mid 80's.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Scanning over the 12Z stuff, no Euro yet, I would say that only the CMC would suggest the record is broken at MDT.  GFS, Nam, Icon all keep MDT at or below 90 from here on out with several nights in the 60's.  All models keep Friday in the low 80's as well except the icon in the mid 80's.  

kinda odd my zone forecast has 93, 94, 90 for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.