• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are still 9.5 inches behind for the past 11-12 weeks.   Just noticed we were upgrades to D1 moderate drought.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Northeast

Fresh sweet corn is in short supply over this way now due to the dry weather. Several stands announced they will be limiting hours and amounts as the current yield is suffering.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

@CarlislePaWx was just or almost nailed by a southwest moving bow line like storm.

A little late checking in for posts.  BTW I leave this tab opened all year long for convenience.  That way I also get audio notifications when new posts are made.

It's funny because I was literally on the very eastern edge of that thunderstorm line...by like 2 miles!  My lightning detector was going bonkers with strikes (mostly in-cloud/cloud-to-cloud) every second for over an hour.  The line stretched from just west of Carlisle westward out to Newburg, then progressed southward into Adams.  Interestingly, earlier today a similar line formed in the exact same location and also moved due southward, with me just missing the precip by merely a few miles.  What a tease!  I did manage 0.09" overnight though and 0.24" yesterday from that almost severe thunderstorm around 3:00pm.  Looks like things are calming down now in time for more 90's to come back over the weekend and into next week.  It also looks like the ridge begins to break down for a while towards later next week and temps drop back closer to normal for a while just in time to usher in August.

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Fresh sweet corn is in short supply over this way now due to the dry weather. Several stands announced they will be limiting hours and amounts as the current yield is suffering.

Oh no!!! 

Local fresh Sweet Corn, especially from Lancaster County, is one of the few things that I look forward to every summer.

When is the next good chance of showers to save our sweet corn?

10 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yea, the drought or drought like condition  are affecting a lot of PA.  The farmer beside me said  he applied for Government aid as his corn has not even "blossomed" yet and is going to be mostly a loss or turned into feed corn.  Its only 3-4 feet tall as the end season nears.  I was over in Cumberland county last weekend and the corn was 7-8 feet high and more healthy.   Getting the D1 designation will help his case.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Oh no!!! 

Local fresh Sweet Corn, especially from Lancaster County, is one of the few things that I look forward to every summer.

When is the next good chance of showers to save our sweet corn?

I bet if someone looks hard enough they can find some big winters after bad sweet corn season analogies.

• Haha 1

I see I've been summoned. Can one tell me what makes a bad sweet corn season. I have some downtime before having to bartend so what I need is some characterstistics of a bad sweet corn season. Tempature and precipitation in which months. I think I
I can even pull up data for Lancaster specifically

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

I see I've been summoned. Can one tell me what makes a bad sweet corn season. I have some downtime before having to bartend so what I need is some characterstistics of a bad sweet corn season. Tempature and precipitation in which months. I think I
I can even pull up data for Lancaster specifically

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

I was reading comments from the Lancaster county agriculture department that said the combination of high heat AND lack of rainfall is significantly impacting the current yield. Corn can thrive in heat but it needs rainfall to grow. 

That's what I got for you.  :)

Man, the plants in Lancaster county, in general, are taking a beating. My hometown friends there have been posting pictures of the Spotted Lanternflies and all the damage they have been causing to the vegetation. There are concerns about the fruit orchards being destroyed by these nasty insects as well. Just another blow to the agricultural sector during an already trying year.

44 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Man, the plants in Lancaster county, in general, are taking a beating. My hometown friends there have been posting pictures of the Spotted Lanternflies and all the damage they have been causing to the vegetation. There are concerns about the fruit orchards being destroyed by these nasty insects as well. Just another blow to the agricultural sector during an already trying year.

And 2020 still has over 5 more months of possible terribleness. 

22 minutes ago, canderson said:

It’ll hit 90 every day but Friday in HBG. Heck Monday could make a run to 100 again.  

It’ll be close to the record. 

I just peeked at the zone forecasts which showed no 90's after Tuesday and night time 60's to go with it.  Just two nights in the 60's would probably pull the average down below the record.  A high of 92 and a low of 70 would be too "cold" to get the record.    After looking at the guidance I think they are using a blend of the GFS  and Euro.  Euro is hot but on an Island.  Other guidance I looked at cools down much of PA next week.

• Like 1

They actually address this in their AFD.  Going to need an outperforming week to break the record.  I love records but being right at the mark those cooler temps Wed-Fri may screw the record. 

.CLIMATE...
Through 7/25, the average July temperature at Harrisburg is
holding at 81.8F or 5.9 degrees above normal - which would be
tied with 1999 for the warmest July if the month ended right
now. With above average temps forecast right through end of the
month, July 2020 could end as the warmest July (any month, for
that matter) on record. It will likely come down to the last one
or two days of the month, as MDT should have daily average temps
of more than 81.8 each day Sun, Mon and Tues. The forecast is
then for lower (can`t say cooler) temperatures for the rest of
the week.

So, if our current/official forecast as of 3 AM
Sunday is perfect (laughs), MDT will slide to 81.6 for the
month. This would still be a rock solid 2nd - besting the
current 2nd place of July 1955 (80.4) by >1 degree.

Williamsport is still on track for it`s 4th warmest month. The
average temperature at Williamsport through 7/25 is 78.1
degrees, which is 5.3 degrees above normal.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I forgot about those little bastards. With all the other goings on in the world, not much has been mentioned of them here...