• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

Starting to rain a bit here in Enola from Fay. It's amazing how a tropical system can throw a curve ball into the pattern. Originally it was supposed to be sunny and hot today just a week ago.

It's also very rare to have a storm in the beginning of July form and come north up the coast like this and keep its warm core all the way up into Quebec. Normally they move northeast and out without hitting land.

17 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Starting to rain a bit here in Enola from Fay. It's amazing how a tropical system can throw a curve ball into the pattern. Originally it was supposed to be sunny and hot today just a week ago.

It's also very rare to have a storm in the beginning of July form and come north up the coast like this and keep its warm core all the way up into Quebec. Normally they move northeast and out without hitting land.

It's 2020. :popcorn:

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Seriously disappointed for you and Cashtown, you guys deserved this more than anyone. 

No prob. Mother Nature will get me back come winter:weenie:  Crossing my fingers for something to hit the next couple of days before the next round of heat or I believe this area is heading toward the next level up on the drought monitor.  

• Haha 1

It's interesting that wind is almost non-existent here in Tamaqua proper, but 200' higher on the ridge tops I can see the trees swaying. One thing about my location is the wind shelter from ridges on 3 sides near my neighborhood. Even in Sandy, while the ridges literally roared like a lion, she just meowed like a housecat down here on the town floor.

Rain is still steady with .43" in the gauge so far.

2 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

No prob. Mother Nature will get me back come winter:weenie:  Crossing my fingers for something to hit the next couple of days before the next round of heat or I believe this area is heading toward the next level up on the drought monitor.  

We are in D1 right now regardless of what the US service says.  Some people may start having well problems soon though I do not know where underground water level actually is.  I just see the corn and grass dying.   Some farmers corns stalks have bent over and died especially around the outside edges of their fields.  At this point nothing short of a tropical storm like event is going to bring us out of it fully.  A 5" gully washer will only account for .5 to 1" of water down in the soil.

I'm getting appreciable sunshine with lots of blue skies at the moment...lol.  83 degrees with a northeasterly wind 5 to 10 mph.  What a sharp cut-off on the western flank.  But I guess is has to cut off somewhere.  My memory is faded on this but didn't Irene (2011??)  take a similar path, grazing the Jersey shore and passing over NYC?  I think that was in September though.  Very unusual for a due north track up the coast.

Thank god it’s not winter, this would have been killer split for the forum haha. 20 Plus inches to zero real fast. Had a few showers in York today and that’s about it. 

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service State College PA
243 PM EDT Fri Jul 10 2020

Lancaster PA-Schuylkill PA-Lebanon PA-
243 PM EDT Fri Jul 10 2020

The National Weather Service in State College PA has issued a

* Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory for...
  Lancaster County in south central Pennsylvania...
  Schuylkill County in central Pennsylvania...
  Lebanon County in south central Pennsylvania...

* Until 530 PM EDT.

* At 233 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated a large band of heavy rain
  pushing west into the region, in association with Tropical Storm
  Fay that was moving along the southern New Jersey Coast. This
  heavy rain will cause urban and small stream flooding in the
  advisory area. Up to 1.5 inches of rain has already fallen over
  parts of the advisory area over the past few hours and an
  additional one inch of rain is expected between 245 pm and 430 pm.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Lancaster, Lebanon, Pottsville, Ephrata, Columbia, Lititz,
  Millersville, Willow Street, Mount Joy, Palmyra, Tamaqua,
  Schuylkill Haven, New Holland, Shenandoah, Manheim, Annville, East
  Petersburg, Minersville, Mahanoy City and Cornwall.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Keep children away from storm drains, culverts, creeks and streams.
Water levels can rise rapidly and sweep children away.

38 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hahaha. I prob got ..15-.2” or so - my gauge wasn’t out. 

As of now .89". Not sure if anything else pivots through, though. The haves vs have nots is remarkable. I have 7.19" for the month of July, and I'm guessing from the discussion here that some don't have an inch yet?