• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's summer with summertime weather. As much as I dislike the heat, I don't expect anything different.

Just please give me some cold (not 30s and 40s, that is NOT cold) weather this winter. Please. :)

30 or 40 inches of snow next season would be great to go along with some cold temps too!

Heck, after the total failure of last year, 20 inches of snow next season might even seem awesome!

Just finished up another great thunderstorm.  Torrential rains that looked like it was snowing as the winds blew repeatedly over 30mph.  I had at least 4 separate gusts into the 30's with the highest gust at 35mph.  It only lasted maybe 15 minutes depositing 0.28" of rainfall.  It seems that almost every storm that has managed to hit me in the past month has delivered high wind gusts and torrential rains for a time.  Looks like Mechanicsburg getting hit pretty hard right now but it's going to pass maybe just south of MDT.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Fun (minus the hail, tho that’s not large enough to do much damage thankfully).

Had one last little burst that put us up to 2.82" for the event. Both storms that got us formed nearly right over Tamaqua, and just kept building. Each one produced hail, but the second one was more intense than the first and produced the larger sized stones pictured, as well as wind that brought down a few large tree limbs. There was about a half hour lull between the storms.

The USGS automated gauge shows slightly more at almost exactly 3 inches...

USGS.01469500.121433.00045..20200706.20200706..0..png

12 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Just finished up another great thunderstorm.  Torrential rains that looked like it was snowing as the winds blew repeatedly over 30mph.  I had at least 4 separate gusts into the 30's with the highest gust at 35mph.  It only lasted maybe 15 minutes depositing 0.28" of rainfall.  It seems that almost every storm that has managed to hit me in the past month has delivered high wind gusts and torrential rains for a time.  Looks like Mechanicsburg getting hit pretty hard right now but it's going to pass maybe just south of MDT.

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Missed everything heavy - it rained lightly for 5 or so minutes.

it wasn't even funny when i looked at radar and the system like went in half around us to the west/east

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

15 hours and counting without power. How people in York County put up with Met Ed is beyond me. 55 years of living in Lanco and never had an outage last this long. This isn't even a widespread event.

Met Ed might be the worst utility company I have ever come across. They have outages that last a week that anyone else would have back in a day. 

This heat wave has proved itself to me in Pittsburgh.  Officially hit 90 today, fifth day in a row.  Was 94 yesterday, but the dew point was about 56, so, it wasn't too bad.  We've been very lucky to have generally low dew points the entire time.  A few spikes here and there, think it peaked around 68 one morning, usually falls to near 60 or lower later.  Today, is the best chance of rain we've had in 8 days, and that's not even guaranteed.

Also, looks like next week the heat returns.  Could we have a record hot July?

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Met Ed might be the worst utility company I have ever come across. They have outages that last a week that anyone else would have back in a day. 

I mean seriously...I am NOT a complainer, but I don't understand being out of power for nearly 19 hours now when this was NOT a major event. As a PPL customer this is mind boggling to me. 

22 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

This heat wave has proved itself to me in Pittsburgh.  Officially hit 90 today, fifth day in a row.  Was 94 yesterday, but the dew point was about 56, so, it wasn't too bad.  We've been very lucky to have generally low dew points the entire time.  A few spikes here and there, think it peaked around 68 one morning, usually falls to near 60 or lower later.  Today, is the best chance of rain we've had in 8 days, and that's not even guaranteed.

Also, looks like next week the heat returns.  Could we have a record hot July?

we (us in the susq. valley) will not hit 90 today. I'm honestly bummed. I thought we had a legit shot at breaking the record for consecutive days of 90 or above. I'm all about records B)

6 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

we (us in the susq. valley) will not hit 90 today. I'm honestly bummed. I thought we had a legit shot at breaking the record for consecutive days of 90 or above. I'm all about records B)

Our record is 13 straight days (1988).  We definitely won't break that record, but wonder if the monthly 90 degree record could be in jeopardy (17, July 1988)?

• Like 1