• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Trenton got raked on pretty good.  Philly missed out it appears. 

Yep, there are storms north and northeast where expected. My post was to say that our friends down south were expecting nothing and some of the DC burbs got raked as well. 

Still looks like you might get some rain later if that stuff near Altoona pays a visit to Rouzerland. 

13 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, there are storms north and northeast where expected. My post was to say that our friends down south were expecting nothing and some of the DC burbs got raked as well. 

Still looks like you might get some rain later if that stuff near Altoona pays a visit to Rouzerland. 

We lost out last night.  

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, same here. The precip in west central PA fizzled out last evening before reaching even the western LSV. 

It sounds like we have another chance of a shower or storm by early this afternoon.

Hopefully.  Next week plus look dry.  I live beside a farmer and he said this is the worst start to the season for him in 40 some years (mostly corn).   Unfortunately these random afternoon 1" downpours do not help him as much as an all day soaker. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hopefully.  Next week plus look dry.  I live beside a farmer and he said this is the worst start to the season for him in 40 some years (mostly corn).   Unfortunately these random afternoon 1" downpours do not help him as much as an all day soaker. 

'tis the season for hit and miss storms unless we get can some tropical action. My grass is still green and growing just as fast as the weeds. Hopefully areas that are drier than me can get some rain today before we dry out completely. 

15 minutes ago, paweather5 said:

Yeah can’t  buy a drop of rain, could see it raining by ski Roundtop and not even a drop at my house. Starting to get frustrating. Not much rain look forward to either. 

Well I'm an idiot as usual - instead of letting things play out I called fail too quickly. Ended up getting a really nice shower here with nearly .25" in the bucket. 5 of the last 7 days has produced measurable rainfall. 

13 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Had what looked like a nice cell taking direct aim at us from the Bloomsburg area only to hit I-81 and nearly disintigrate. It reformed southeast of town and looks to soak West Penn Township and the Blue Mountain.

There is a cell to your NW that might drop south enough to hit you. 

17 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Looking back I’ve had 1.90” of rain since May 10th.    1.17” officially for June unless I add something the next couple days.  I can’t recall the yard this burned out so early in the year 

Pretty extreme for you.  Even worse than me.  I have unofficially had about 2.5" since early May but the overly dry (but nice for getting out) weather has made that not nearly enough.  The farmer I mentioned said his corn is about 1 foot short from where it should be.  He is convinced we will need a dying 'Cane to save his crop.  I think he can make it if we manage to get some summer type rains every few days but next two weeks look bad.  Must be a stressful life...farming with no irrigation.

2 hours ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Looking back I’ve had 1.90” of rain since May 10th.    1.17” officially for June unless I add something the next couple days.  I can’t recall the yard this burned out so early in the year 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Pretty extreme for you.  Even worse than me.  I have unofficially had about 2.5" since early May but the overly dry (but nice for getting out) weather has made that not nearly enough.  The farmer I mentioned said his corn is about 1 foot short from where it should be.  He is convinced we will need a dying 'Cane to save his crop.  I think he can make it if we manage to get some summer type rains every few days but next two weeks look bad.  Must be a stressful life...farming with no irrigation.

What really surprises me is that both of you (especially Cashtown) live in a more favored area for storms than what I do. I've been extremely lucky and you've been extremely unlucky I guess...

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What really surprises me is that both of you (especially Cashtown) live in a more favored area for storms than what I do. I've been extremely lucky and you've been extremely unlucky I guess...

Unofficial again as my equipment is amateurish, which is why I frequently use a neighboring weather station to report, but we are about 6" behind  for May and June.  Average (whatever that means anymore) for May and June is about 9"or so and we have not broken 3" total for the last 7 weeks. Just bad timing at the start of growing season.  MDT was in the same boat entering June but has had a good 5" of rain this month so far.  I realize most of the LSV is not facing the same predicament.