• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

'Canes and rains will allow weather station precip totals to gain.

Droughts and Covid bouts will cause some to pout. 

Anyway, it took some time today but storms are starting to march east through the central and south central mountains. Should be wet in most areas over the next several hours. 

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Days are slowly getting shorter. That’s all I got. 

That's plenty. I saw a related post you made last week but I didn't get a chance to respond. Summer solstice is one of my favorite days of the year. Love knowing that our official march towards winter has commenced!

• Like 2

For those who were wondering, the length of daylight on Saturday maxed out at 15 hours 2 minutes 11 seconds.  Today, 3 days later we have lost 20 seconds.  The first few weeks after the solstices the amount of daily change increases by only 3 to 5 seconds per day.  On June 30th our day length will be down to 14:59:00 for only a loss of 3 minutes and 11 seconds...lol.

On the winter solstice our shortest day is 9 hours 18 minutes 39 seconds (which actually occurs the day before on 12/20 because winter begins at 5:02am on the 21st and that day is two seconds longer...haha).  I have a neat program that gives these times to the second when you input your precise GPS coordinates for Lat/Long.  Anyone living along roughly 40'10" north will have these same day lengths.  If you live a bit north then you have slightly longer day length on the summer solstice and slightly shorter days on the winter solstice.  It's the opposite effect if you live a little south of me.

I have a nephew who's an F-35 bomber pilot in the air force.  He is literally driving to his new base assignment in Fairbanks, AL this week.  I was curious about the sunrise and sunset up there this past weekend.  Last Saturday, in Fairbanks, the sun rose at 2:58AM and didn't set until Sunday morning at 12:48AM!  Total day length was 21 hours 50 minutes.  Fairbanks is less than 200 miles south of the Arctic Circle.   He will be deployed there for the next 3 years.  I'm hoping to make a trip up there next June to witness near-perpetual daylight.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

For those who were wondering, the length of daylight on Saturday maxed out at 15 hours 2 minutes 11 seconds.  Today, 3 days later we have lost 20 seconds.  The first few weeks after the solstices the amount of daily change increases by only 3 to 5 seconds per day.  On June 30th our day length will be down to 14:59:00 for only a loss of 3 minutes and 11 seconds...lol.

On the winter solstice our shortest day is 9 hours 18 minutes 39 seconds (which actually occurs the day before on 12/20 because winter begins at 5:02am on the 21st and that day is two seconds longer...haha).  I have a neat program that gives these times to the second when you input your precise GPS coordinates for Lat/Long.  Anyone living along roughly 40'10" north will have these same day lengths.  If you live a bit north then you have slightly longer day length on the summer solstice and slightly shorter days on the winter solstice.  It's the opposite effect if you live a little south of me.

I have a nephew who's an F-35 bomber pilot in the air force.  He is literally driving to his new base assignment in Fairbanks, AL this week.  I was curious about the sunrise and sunset up there this past weekend.  Last Saturday, in Fairbanks, the sun rose at 2:58AM and didn't set until Sunday morning at 12:48AM!  Total day length was 21 hours 50 minutes.  Fairbanks is less than 200 miles south of the Arctic Circle.   He will be deployed there for the next 3 years.  I'm hoping to make a trip up there next June to witness near-perpetual daylight.

Lots of great information! My parents used to live in Fairbanks and I was finally able to go see where they lived a few years ago. It is a neat thing to experience - my daughters were riding bikes in the evening sun...at midnight. 

Thought we were going to get a good storm as there was a line moving northeast from the Pine Grove/Tower City area toward Pottsville. As it got close, a rogue cell moved north from Kutztown up to Parryville and exploded east of Lehighton, which robbed the line to my west of most of it's energy.

The Tamaqua Split® is still in effect...lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nasty looking storm on radar advancing east from Rouzerville-land. 

Radar looks more impressive today than i thought it would - my understanding was just a slight chance of isolated activity? 

Yea, it is nasty looking.  First part is going to skip me to the north but may catch Cash. 

38 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nasty looking storm on radar advancing east from Rouzerville-land. 

Radar looks more impressive today than i thought it would - my understanding was just a slight chance of isolated activity? 

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought we would see nothing today but once I saw this and Bubbler's post I got my cushions in from the outside.