Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nope, Jan 2006 had over 2 feet at ORH...a couple solid warning events (Jan 2-3 and Jan 23) mixed with a couple smaller ones.

Had 24.6" here, which thanks to the thaws could only raise the pack from 4" to 11 - winter's "peak" as Feb 1 onward yielded only 7.8" compared to my 45" average for that half of winter.  That's my only snow season since NNJ (1967-68) that never had even a 6" event.

On the old MEI data, 1954, 1964, 1988 are probably the closest matches to 2020, along with 2007. 

Snow patterns that are similar nationally in the Fall have tended to "look" like 2007 (it's like a blend of 1947-48/1996-97) somewhat after Nov 20, with the Plains usually getting hosed for snow somewhere. It's a mixed signal for most of the US, but I'd say overall still favors New England, Midwest & West, with NYC-Chicago on the edge, and areas south below average.

• Like 1

Copied 40/70 from the December thread.

Oh, okay. Well, my point was that el nino winters are usually more back loaded for SNE than la nina, but the caveat being that that maybe mostly due to February. You may have a case for March temps, however, I am more confident that el nino is better for March snow in SNE than la nina. Obviously its subjetive...I am talking about SNE because I live here and its a NE subforum.

Maybe NNE is different, at least for my place starting with 98-99 (SN expressed as percent of average):
ENSO             Mar. SN   n
Strong Nino     38%      1 (15-16)
Mod. Nino        28%      2
Weak Nino      111%     4
La Nada            74%      7
Weak Nina      166%     4   (March 2001 is my snowiest month here - 55.5")
Mod. Nina       108%     4
Strong Nina    none yet

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Copied 40/70 from the December thread.

Oh, okay. Well, my point was that el nino winters are usually more back loaded for SNE than la nina, but the caveat being that that maybe mostly due to February. You may have a case for March temps, however, I am more confident that el nino is better for March snow in SNE than la nina. Obviously its subjetive...I am talking about SNE because I live here and its a NE subforum.

Maybe NNE is different, at least for my place starting with 98-99 (SN expressed as percent of average):
ENSO             Mar. SN   n
Strong Nino     38%      1 (15-16)
Mod. Nino        28%      2
Weak Nino      111%     4
La Nada            74%      7
Weak Nina      166%     4   (March 2001 is my snowiest month here - 55.5")
Mod. Nina       108%     4
Strong Nina    none yet

It's similar here as well but as me and @40/70 Benchmark discussed it's very subjective. We average ~7-8" in March so going back to 96 here it is for us in terms of average for each ENSO state. I used the ONI data. 

ENSO

2 Strong Nino :  9.8" 

2 Mod Nino: 5.2" (We got Trace in 2010 and 10.4" in 2003 so the avg of 2 is below)

5 Weak Nino including 2014-15: 5.8"

5 La Nada: 9.5"

5 Weak Nina:  4.5"

2 Mod Nina: 8.1"

4 Strong Nina: 11.5"