Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember standing outside of Steve’s Ice cream original Somerville location in mid January 1976 with a line around the block with temperatures neat 0.  We had 12+ about a day later.

Fooking LOVED that place.  Steve was a god around this place in the 70's.  It was always crowded regardless of temperature.

52 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the January 1976 cold was really intense.

They day you are thinking of is probably 1/11/76. It was absolutely frigid. Good storm started that night and went into the next morning...temps were mostly in the single digits and teens during the snow.

What were the temperatures like in February that year?.

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

88-89 was the worst strong Nina of the bunch. made no sense in many ways, it was a dry winter which defies nina climo. 99-00 was also crap but it did have a solid consecutive 6 weeks of white in Jan/Feb, surrounded by torches on either side. All the other strong ninas were above avg snow. This is starting off similar to 75-76 with a warm first half of November.

Strong Nina Snowfall at Detroit (longterm avg 41")

1973-74: 49.2"

1975-76: 55.9"

1988-89: 25.1"

1998-99: 49.5"

1999-00: 23.7"

2007-08: 71.7"

2010-11: 69.1"

February 89 and December 89 both exhibited a bit of what we saw in 17-18.  Sometimes you get a decent pattern with cold air during La Ninas but they are too progressive so you end up with MA and SE snowstorms but the Northeast misses out.   Most always assume La Ninas are bad for places like DC/RDU/CLT but reality is if you get the right pattern for a few weeks those areas can cash in well whereas a similar setup in a neutral or ENSO might have sent the impacting system to their north.

31 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

February 89 and December 89 both exhibited a bit of what we saw in 17-18.  Sometimes you get a decent pattern with cold air during La Ninas but they are too progressive so you end up with MA and SE snowstorms but the Northeast misses out.   Most always assume La Ninas are bad for places like DC/RDU/CLT but reality is if you get the right pattern for a few weeks those areas can cash in well whereas a similar setup in a neutral or ENSO might have sent the impacting system to their north.

I agree. This is why I had higher snowfalls than most for the mid atl.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am pretty pleased with Isotherm-Tom's outlook..........especially north of the pike. Tough sledding for the higher elevations south of the pike....I will be sure to take pics for them.

Glad we don't live there.

Really cuz sure as hell his Jan  looks like Jan 11 to me. Good luck

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You have a very strange obsession with that season. His outlook was not similar to that season at all, except for January being the most wintery month.

Jan 11 was all winter here. Though I have a feeling by the negative hints he meant Jan 12, which is everyone's favorite winter to fear lol.

3 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The cold produced nicely in 17-18 here. Plenty of snow Dec-Feb. Then after a March 1st snowstorm it turned cold and dry while the northeast cashed in.

53 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'll take a good end of December and good January, my hopes for an epic year are fading. You coming out with your forecast soon Ray?

Seems like there’s still a lot of sentiment for anything but a huge winter. Some are going decent and others going below average and others going full-on ratter. 

On 11/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/11/winter-outlook-2020-2021-mixed-type-la.html

Here is my winter outlook, if you are looking for something to pass the time, while a team of molasses molecules counts the NV ballots.

The abridged version is linked....there are also options for more technical discussion of the telconnections if so desired.

Most wintery period looks to be December, and potentially another bout in March, but it may very well just result in a cold spring...as last season did.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I'll take a good end of December and good January, my hopes for an epic year are fading. You coming out with your forecast soon Ray?

• Thanks 1