Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Your Jan H5 composite would rock a lot more than you indicate 

That is true. March, as well. I do not always follow the composite 100%. I tried to doctor them more this season because its been worse in the past.

I did also say that I can see December bleeding into January for a bit.

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So... From what ive seen and read, the Euro model showing these warm temps is not a great model when it comes to predicting the temps over the next several months. I'm just throwing this out there. 

Ginxy posted the 500mb charts which probably is more skillful. That’s a fairly nasty look.  The seasonal models are what they are. They aren’t always the most skillful and we hope they aren’t lol.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ginxy posted the 500mb charts which probably is more skillful. That’s a fairly nasty look.  The seasonal models are what they are. They aren’t always the most skillful and we hope they aren’t lol.

Agree.  I think it was 2 years ago and it was showing a great pattern went to hell fast.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

The years in the CPC 6-10 and 8-14 day analogs have been changing a lot lately. We're close enough to Dec-Feb now that I think you have to expect some of the commonly repeating years to show up in winter too.

For the 6-10: 1958, 1961, 1968, 1973, 1975, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1994. I like 1988 and 1961 as second tier analogs - 1961/2010/2016 is a good QBO/ENSO blend.

For the 8-14:  1958, 1973, 1988, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001  2005

As much as I like 2007-08, it's a double La Nina. The models don't have that. So once we get past Dec/Jan, 1988-89 may actually be the right idea, if we're going to see a lot of weakening out a La Nina, assuming the cold does dump West like I think it will. 1973 is kind of interesting too, since 1974 was a La Nina but far weaker than 1973. I prefer 1988 over 1973 though, since it followed two El Ninos which is quite rare.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That Euro december map would be hideous....even with the -NAO...there's no cold air for the NAO to hold in. We might see a marginal event or two on that look.

Lets hope it's wrong. We don't want the piggy showing up.

I don't buy the pig part for December. RNA, yes, but I think the pig gets pushed back.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't buy the pig part for December. RNA, yes, but I think the pig gets pushed back.

Yeah we'll see. The weeklies supported a really bad pattern to open December too FWIW.

We know how these things can be horrible accuracy sometimes, but it's something to watch.

2 hours ago, Yankees29 said:

I think we all know what that means.

What it means is that some states are not allowed to open the envelopes and start counting until after Election Day is over. What it means is that they’re faced with potentially hundreds of thousands of paper ballots that then have to be verified, hand processed and tallied and reported.  

• Like 1