Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

3 hours ago, SnowEMass said:

15/16 and 19/20 were horrendous.  I know it wasn’t Nina but it was horrible. 

December 2015 was the warmest on record, locally. 2015-16 was terrible expect for the cold outbreak in mid Feb and April snowstorm in my area. I'll take last winter over 16-17 though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Agree.  His winter outlook has changed somewhat from his earlier thoughts  during the summer. Another thing about Cosgrove is he will adjust his forecast accordingly. Some will "drive" their cold & snowy winter forecast  off a cliff in an attempt to be right.  I prefer someone who adjusts the forecast as needed rather than someone who hangs on to his/her forecast in a desperate attempt to be right. 

I will adjust, but the outlook is graded as is.

Anyone can get an A if you are spoon fed the answer sheet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

December 2015 was the warmest on record, locally. 2015-16 was terrible expect for the cold outbreak in mid Feb and April snowstorm in my area. I'll take last winter over 16-17 though. 

Different location, different outcomes. (Duh!) 
Last year my 2 biggest snows came after the equinox and the bigger one was a modest 10.3".  16-17 brought 4 events with ~2" LE with 3 of them all snow.  The late January one was 5" of mix'n'mess, but the other 3 totaled 57.5" with the smallest (Pi Day, 15.5") being only my 4th storm in 22 winters here to meet blizzard criteria for the required 3 hours - had 2 hr extra. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Different location, different outcomes. (Duh!) 
Last year my 2 biggest snows came after the equinox and the bigger one was a modest 10.3".  16-17 brought 4 events with ~2" LE with 3 of them all snow.  The late January one was 5" of mix'n'mess, but the other 3 totaled 57.5" with the smallest (Pi Day, 15.5") being only my 4th storm in 22 winters here to meet blizzard criteria for the required 3 hours - had 2 hr extra. 

‘16-17 was a big 375” at the 3000ft High Road snow plot on Mansfield.  That was actually the biggest winter I measured, in a decade of almost daily personal measurements up there.  It’s certainly underrated for powder days in the hills.  

On 11/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Excerpt from Donny Baseball post in NYC forum. It’s LC vs the world 

Since 1950, there have been five cases where a La Niña developed during June-July-August or afterward following an El Niño winter. 4/5 (80%) of those cases saw a predominant EPO+/AO+ winter pattern. The most recent such case was 2016-17. 9/10 (90%) of the La Niña winters that followed an El Niño winter featured a predominantly positive EPO. A predominant EPO+/AO+ pattern is likely for winter 2020-21. It is likely that the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas will see a warmer than normal winter with potentially below normal snowfall.

At least Larry’s got Henry Margusity on his side, always a plus.....

On 11/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Excerpt from Donny Baseball post in NYC forum. It’s LC vs the world 

Since 1950, there have been five cases where a La Niña developed during June-July-August or afterward following an El Niño winter. 4/5 (80%) of those cases saw a predominant EPO+/AO+ winter pattern. The most recent such case was 2016-17. 9/10 (90%) of the La Niña winters that followed an El Niño winter featured a predominantly positive EPO. A predominant EPO+/AO+ pattern is likely for winter 2020-21. It is likely that the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas will see a warmer than normal winter with potentially below normal snowfall.

Does anyone know what the other 4 winters were besides 2016-17?

16 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I didn't factor that in.

I did last season :axe:

I've seen research showing that it's the two years just after the nadir that give us our best blocking chances.  My hunch is that the Pacific is rarely good this winter, but we will have periods where Atlantic blocking does the trick....saving us from a total ratter.

46 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Does anyone know what the other 4 winters were besides 2016-17?

1988-89 was one & it's also a strong analog for this winter for various reasons. If you look at that winter I encourage you look at it in 10 day increments. DEC had a good cold stretch & so did FEB/MAR. But JAN had a really strong warm stretch that kind of skews the 3 month mean.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

I've seen research showing that it's the two years just after the nadir that give us our best blocking chances.  My hunch is that the Pacific is rarely good this winter, but we will have periods where Atlantic blocking does the trick....saving us from a total ratter.

I am going to present my work right after this election wraps up, but I do not think the Pacific will be wall-to-wall crap.

1 minute ago, stadiumwave said:

1988-89 was one & it's also a strong analog for this winter for various reasons. If you look at that winter I encourage you look at it in 10 day increments. DEC had a good cold stretch & so did FEB/MAR. But JAN had a really strong warm stretch that kind of skews the 3 month mean.

I did not use it just because I felt it was significantly more strongly coupled than this event, however, I see the utility. I do not expect the pole to be quite so hostile this season....PDO will be worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I just mean "unofficial" end....I don't count the tired legal crap.

I am thinking it will be over in a couple of hours when they finish up Arizona and Nevada.  As soon as they saw the lead changing in those states.. voting mysteriously stopped.. I think that they are just trying to get the National Guard in place throughout the country and then drop the news...

10 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I am thinking it will be over in a couple of hours when they finish up Arizona and Nevada.  As soon as they saw the lead changing in those states.. voting mysteriously stopped.. I think that they are just trying to get the National Guard in place throughout the country and then drop the news...

I agree that it should be over later this AM.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

‘16-17 was a big 375” at the 3000ft High Road snow plot on Mansfield.  That was actually the biggest winter I measured, in a decade of almost daily personal measurements up there.  It’s certainly underrated for powder days in the hills.  

That winter also had Farmington being bumped out of 1st place for Maine's deepest snowpack (94", 10" above Farmington's in 1969(), though it's no shame to be topped by Chimney Pond at 2,920'.