Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

1970-71 was another great winter up this way. 71.0" which is 25" above our seasonal average. DJFM all featured below normal temps. 1970-71 La Nina came after two consecutive Nino's (1968-70), similar to this year. 

the two years before 1970-71 were cold el nino winters...70-71 continued the cold theme...Feb 1969 was a bench mark for snow in Boston that was surpassed by Feb 2015...the last two winters have been mild and lets hope 2020-21 does not continue the mild theme...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

It was actually funny to hear some of the less than stellar comments even mentioned in the presence of 2007-2008 – I didn’t know it was possible to put those two things together.  Around here it’s typically just spoken of with reverence, or you get comments like you guys have given.  In the past 20 seasons I think most folks would place it only behind 2000-2001.

Will’s strong December theme would certainly fit around here though – nearly 70” that December to help push the season to 200”+ for a very solid winter.

Of all Will's snowfall maps, 07-08 had by far the greatest latitudinal contrast.  IIRC, 20" or less along the Sound to 140" in central NH.  CAR's all time record 198" was too far north to fit on the page.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Of all Will's snowfall maps, 07-08 had by far the greatest latitudinal contrast.  IIRC, 20" or less along the Sound to 140" in central NH.  CAR's all time record 198" was too far north to fit on the page.

Yeah that was a fun one to draw up. I always say that I need to resume doing those but it’s hard these days with kids, lol. One of these years I definitely will though...unless some other entity beats me to the punch with detail and QC equal to or superior to what I set as my minimum standards. 

Anyways, here’s the 2007-2008 map again:

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was a fun one to draw up. I always say that I need to resume doing those but it’s hard these days with kids, lol. One of these years I definitely will though...unless some other entity beats me to the punch with detail and QC equal to or superior to what I set as my minimum standards. 

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG

That is one helluva gradient as Tamarack said... just over a foot in SE CT to 125”+ in S/C NH.  Wow, that’s just a constant similar storm track over and over again.

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG

That was the MLK melt year wasn’t it?

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was the MLK melt year wasn’t it?

No, MLK melt was 2010. It was a 2-parter. Round 1 was the bigger of the two parts. It was forecasted to be very marginal but the line literally set up along the MA/CT border. Even though you knew it was snowing up in ORH, you didn’t really melt down until the next day and the day after....

The next day after part 1, Megan posted pics of us hiking in the woods near us with fir trees draped in like 8” of paste and you absolutely lost it. Then the next day part 2 came through and you were expecting this one to probably be snow in Tolland and I actually was too...but then you reported that it was 33F and raining and wondering if it would flip to snow. As the hours passed, and it didn’t flip down there, I posted some pics of huge nickel/quarter sized flakes absolutely ripping in ORH with everything draped in another 3-4” or so and you went nuclear. Just a monster tantrum. It may have rivaled Scooter’s January 2015 tantrum right before the epic pattern crushed us. We’ll be telling our grandchildren about it. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

There is no way mine came close. All I said was not going to happen to James and a comment to Steve. Kevin literally lost it and threatened to delete his account. 

We need to go back and find it...you were cussing out that 1/24 storm. You could feel the anger through the screen reading it. :lol:

I lost it truly twice in my lifetime. Once was  December ‘92. I may have shed a tear. It was the biggest gut punch I’ve ever had. I still remember that feeling. The other was the same winter. I drove south my my grandparents in Hyde Park and S+ paste turned to rain on rt 24. Of course it surged north to Boston, but I lost it in the car. It was further exacerbated by that asshole slant sticker in Stoneham. Mark Tarello. He called in 10”. Eff him.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We need to go back and find it...you were cussing out that 1/24 storm. You could feel the anger through the screen reading it. :lol:

I remember saying how that POS storm was ruining that perfect bowling ball moving across the country. I definitely was not happy, but you have to admit...it was timed just right as far as the spacing goes. 

I’m man enough to admit it, but I deeply hope nobody shares the pain I had in Dec ‘92. Blizzard warnings were up, parents telling me this would be the biggest storm of my life...only to change to white rain and snizzle from some sort of marine layer moving back in and a slot. 5-6” of paste prior. It was an awful pill to swallow. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I lost it truly twice in my lifetime. Once was  December ‘92. I may have shed a tear. It was the biggest gut punch I’ve ever had. I still remember that feeling. The other was the same winter. I drove south my my grandparents in Hyde Park and S+ page turned to rain on rt 24. Of course it surged north to Boston, but I lost it in the car. It was further exacerbated by that asshole slant sticker in Stoneham. Mark Tarello. He called in 10”. Eff him.

Was the second one the 3/24/93 event? There were other events that winter with a gradient but that one was really sharp. Very little fell south of about a Weymouth to Franklin line...it was a surprise event with marginal midlevels. Logan had like 8” and suburbs had 10”. 

Couldve been the 1/13/93 event too. That one had a very similar gradient. Really hit the pike region and northward good but not very much south. Lot of ZR over interior south of pike though. 

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No, MLK melt was 2010. It was a 2-parter. Round 1 was the bigger of the two parts. It was forecasted to be very marginal but the line literally set up along the MA/CT border. Even though you knew it was snowing up in ORH, you didn’t really melt down until the next day and the day after....

The next day after part 1, Megan posted pics of us hiking in the woods near us with fir trees draped in like 8” of paste and you absolutely lost it. Then the next day part 2 came through and you were expecting this one to probably be snow in Tolland and I actually was too...but then you reported that it was 33F and raining and wondering if it would flip to snow. As the hours passed, and it didn’t flip down there, I posted some pics of huge nickel/quarter sized flakes absolutely ripping in ORH with everything draped in another 3-4” or so and you went nuclear. Just a monster tantrum. It may have rivaled Scooter’s January 2015 tantrum right before the epic pattern crushed us. We’ll be telling our grandchildren about it. 

Oh yes. It’s coming back now. I remember those pics of you in the Mighty Mac jacket with the T-bar zipper. I lost it. I remember getting home, putting on the tv, looking at the Davis and throwing the remote as hard as possible across the room into the couch , and the battery cover coming off 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Was the second one the 3/24/93 event? There were other events that winter with a gradient but that one was really sharp. Very little fell south of about a Weymouth to Franklin line...it was a surprise event with marginal midlevels. Logan had like 8” and suburbs had 10”. 

Couldve been the 1/13/93 event too. That one had a very similar gradient. Really hit the pike region and northward good but not very much south. Lot of ZR over interior south of pike though. 

No, not that March one. I think we had several inches in that. I know it was latitude dependent because even Hingham  had 6.5” in that one. I think it was in January. I’ve always meant to go back and figure out what date it was, but I probably mentally blocked it from my memory lol.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m man enough to admit it, but I deeply hope nobody shares the pain I had in Dec ‘92. Blizzard warnings were up, parents telling me this would be the biggest storm of my life...only to change to white rain and snizzle from some sort of marine layer moving back in and a slot. 5-6” of paste prior. It was an awful pill to swallow. 

We share a lot of our favorite storms but this one is definitely polar opposites. That storm is my greatest weather memory and it would take something incredibly special to surpass it. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We share a lot of our favorite storms but this one is definitely polar opposites. That storm is my greatest weather memory and it would take something incredibly special to surpass it. 

I was just thinking that. I know it was the same for my friend Dan who lived in Hubby land  too. It’s crazy.  I know something like that is coming. All we can do is prepare. 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh yes. It’s coming back now. I remember those pics of you in the Mighty Mac jacket with the T-bar zipper. I lost it. I remember getting home, putting on the tv, looking at the Davis and throwing the remote as hard as possible across the room into the couch , and the battery cover coming off 

:lmao:

I still have that thing though I only use it as a backup now. Field and stream jacket that was given to me in fall 1996 when I was in high school. I gotta find those pics again. Lol. 

I’m actually wearing that jacket in pics I’ve posted on here of April ‘97 when I’m also wearing the early 90s patriots hat with the PomPom on top of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No, not that March one. I think we had several inches in that. I know it was latitude dependent because even Hingham  had 6.5” in that one. I think it was in January. I’ve always meant to go back and figure out what date it was, but I probably mentally blocked it from my memory lol.

It was almost certainly the 1/13/93 storm then. Pretty classic latitude storm setup. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1993/us0113.php#picture

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG

I probably had high 80's here looking at that...

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:lmao: