Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I lost the 2010-2011 snow map forever unless someone saved it. It was on my old laptop and somehow it didn't make it over to my new one years ago and I didn't have an archived copy on here.

Only way it still exists is if someone saved it for themselves.

Ugh maybe Dr Dews has it after that epic fight over 5 inches. Lol I got goose bumps seeing this though

radmap.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

May 2020 was the snowiest on record here, but November wasn't even top 10. We lucked out. Except for Mar/Apr, we were average to above average every month snow wise. Jan-Feb 2019 was awesome. We got 42" in those 2 months. If I had to choose between the last two winters and 2004-05, I'd pick 2004-05. Had that nice storm right before Christmas and a few good storms in Jan and Feb 05. El Nino's up this way compared to Detroit are usually half and half, some good and some bad. For example 2006-07, 2009-10 and 2015-16 were sub 30" winters. 

But 2004-05 was an El Nino winter coming off a warm neutral and preceding Nino before that. So different oceanic states compared to this year. 

November was thanks to the 9.2" snowstorm on November 11th. The fact that record cold followed it created beautiful scenes. You had a nice deep powder snow pack, glistening, crunching and frozen, with a few trees clinging to unusually late fall color. I always look at a Winter as a whole, not individual events, but that was a lot of fun.  2006-07 managed to just eclipse 30", and 2015-16 only saw 35.5" at Detroit but some northern suburbs eclipsed 50, just mattered where you lived. 2009-10 was not a bad Winter at all, but it was nothing memorable like it was in the mid Atlantic. El nino is very hit-and-miss, and la ninas arent ALL roses (remember, 2011-12 was one)...but overall if you want to gamble you would take a la Nina any day over an El nino here.

FB_IMG_1600279725939.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Kind of meh here other than the 15" dump on 4/1.  Prior to that snow was essentially on the average (within 1/2") with 8.9" the biggest event.  Was tough watching the AUG/WVL/BGR confirmed blizzards on 12/27 and 1/12, totaling about 30" for those places while we had nice 7-8" storms with modest winds.  Temps ran slightly BN but with no notable cold snaps.  Most memorable thing about that winter was driving into AUG on Boxing Day as conditions got worse and worse, leading my wife to cancel her PWM doctor appt.  Within 5 miles on the way north visibility was up to 1/2 mile (was <100' outside the North Augusta Wendy's) and barely snowing at home.
And 02-03 was cold and dry here, with only November getting AN snowfall.  Suppression depression?

70" here that winter, Meh

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I lost the 2010-2011 snow map forever unless someone saved it. It was on my old laptop and somehow it didn't make it over to my new one years ago and I didn't have an archived copy on here.

Only way it still exists is if someone saved it for themselves.

I’ll have to look on my external hard drive... I have BTV’s map from that winter, I save a lot of random stuff sorted by winter.

Just now, PhineasC said:

From 2/25/10-2/28/10, Randolph recorded 57.1" of snow. LOL

That was the retro-storm that rained on most of New England and gave NYC like 20" of snow (though the first phase of it was a huge wet snowstorm for interior SNE up to NNE)....but up there the snow never really changed over....those easterly and even southeasterly flow events seem to absolutely dump on Randolph....I've noticed a lot of marginal storms there where they get like 2-3" of QPF and 30" of snow while 10-20 miles away probably didn't get much. That was probably an example of the terrain upsloping enough from the east to keep it a wet snow bomb.

Several mountain areas that do well on easterly flow stayed snow on that one across NNE.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was the retro-storm that rained on most of New England and gave NYC like 20" of snow (though the first phase of it was a huge wet snowstorm for interior SNE up to NNE)....but up there the snow never really changed over....those easterly and even southeasterly flow events seem to absolutely dump on Randolph....I've noticed a lot of marginal storms there where they get like 2-3" of QPF and 30" of snow while 10-20 miles away probably didn't get much. That was probably an example of the terrain upsloping enough from the east to keep it a wet snow bomb.

Several mountain areas that do well on easterly flow stayed snow on that one across NNE.

I'm wondering how he does compared to Alex in these synoptic events that have 850 flow SE-E. I feel like he may do better just kind of looking at the terrain? 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm wondering how he does compared to Alex in these synoptic events that have 850 flow SE-E. I feel like he may do better just kind of looking at the terrain? 

Yeah when we were first discussing who got more snow, I was thinking to myself that it's probably going to be a situation where Alex probably does a bit better on NW upslope and Phin does better in synoptic storms....which force wins out? Is the uplsope advantage Alex has enough to outweigh the synoptic advantage Phin has? Looking at the Randolph site daily snow history, they clearly get upslope too, but I think Alex's spot origraphically looks a bit better. But Randolph looks to do better on coastal storms.

Either way, that's why some of us were excited to see another person up in that area....we can actually do a comparison now. Only sick weenies like us would find that exciting....lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah when we were first discussing who got more snow, I was thinking to myself that it's probably going to be a situation where Alex probably does a bit better on NW upslope and Phin does better in synoptic storms....which force wins out? Is the uplsope advantage Alex has enough to outweigh the synoptic advantage Phin has? Looking at the Randolph site daily snow history, they clearly get upslope too, but I think Alex's spot origraphically looks a bit better. But Randolph looks to do better on coastal storms.

Either way, that's why some of us were excited to see another person up in that area....we can actually do a comparison now. Only sick weenies like us would find that exciting....lol.

LOL, it's kind of a 3-way race with Alex, Jspin, and Phin in a way. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jspin might avg a bit less overall...but I'm sure he'll cash in on some upslope at times too.  I put you, Ray, and Kevin in that weenie race too. :lol:    You both aren't far off avg snow wise...give or take a few inches. 

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, it's kind of a 3-way race with Alex, Jspin, and Phin in a way. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jspin might avg a bit less overall...but I'm sure he'll cash in on some upslope at times too.  I put you, Ray, and Kevin in that weenie race too. :lol:    You both aren't far off avg snow wise...give or take a few inches. 

Yeah, when I was on winter hill, I'd get the most almost every year between us 3 with a an exception or two.....but now it's a neck and neck race every year with them. I think Ray averages the most out of us climo-wise, but it's not by a lot...maybe by 2-4 inches or so.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

From 2/25/10-2/28/10, Randolph recorded 57.1" of snow. LOL

Meanwhile we had 10.7" mush on 2.68" LE, by far my lowest-ratio met winter snowfall that included neither ZR nor IP.  Then it was further cementified by 1.13" of 33-34F rain while NYC had its 20.9" snowicane.  Almost impossible to move, especially as my snowblower was out of commission and the scoop was traveling on unfrozen driveway surface.  Far more energy intensive than scooping out the 24.5" of 13:1 pow a year earlier.  Worst double-digit storm I can imagine, and the fact that it was a near carbon copy of 41 years earlier on the same dates (just 5F milder) only rubbed it in.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is from an old Randolph site, 68" on 8" of qpf, mostly over 5 days :lol:

randolph.PNG

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And I don’t begrudge the rage.  Heck, I’ve had great personal losses including my parents and only sibling but 12/30/00 is right up there...

You had 12/30/00 PTSD in the 1/12/11 thread....you got convinced you were screwed. Here's where it starts, but the real melt happens a couple pages later.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And I don’t begrudge the rage.  Heck, I’ve had great personal losses including my parents and only sibling but 12/30/00 is right up there...

Wasn't that storm more of a bust for the mid-Atlantic? It was supposed to be a big one in DC/Baltimore, probably 8-12" or so, but then it bypassed us completely while NYC and Philly ended the millennium with a major storm.

I'm guessing up this way it may have tracked too close and become a rainer. It was a very compact storm.

9 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Wasn't that storm more of a bust for the mid-Atlantic? It was supposed to be a big one in DC/Baltimore, probably 8-12" or so, but then it bypassed us completely while NYC and Philly ended the millennium with a major storm.

I'm guessing up this way it may have tracked too close and become a rainer. It was a very compact storm.

It was a pretty good storm over interior SNE. About 6-10" west of 128/I-95 but there was a big dryslot which prevented much higher totals. Areas a bit closer to NYC in southwest CT got over a foot and also NW CT/far Western MA where they avoided the dryslot for longer.

3 hours ago, wx2fish said:

This is from an old Randolph site, 68" on 8" of qpf, mostly over 5 days :lol:

randolph.PNG

Must be fake snow, look at 50” of snowfall the snow depth only increased 23”!

<duck and run>

*Note I love when people comment on that stuff regarding northern snow.  “They get a foot of snow but only 5 inches of depth between the two days. Fake.”