Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 10 Severe Threat

geddyweather

3 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I think that's your issue. Macomb's notorious for down-sloping from the higher elevations to the west. Takes a lot of punch out of winter storms, and likely has a similar effect on severe

I literally just watched a nice cell slide by on radar about a quarter mile to the East of my house. My yard hasn't seen a drop of rain today. Is this enough of a reason to sell my house and move?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, laferri2 said:

Metro Detroit in particular has been ridiculously lean the last 10 years. I can count on one hand the number of storms I've seen with more than a couple lightning strikes since I moved to Macomb County in 2010. It gets really irritating hearing thunder from miles away as all the storms dance around Wayne and Macomb counties. 

I can't count the number of times I've watched my zip code ride a slot in between storm cells to stay dry. 

yeah i have noticed that too. for some reason they dance around. even kinda looks like it this time around too. hope the development to the south gets stronger

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Thunder's been pretty minimal with these cells tho. Not to be a buzzkill. Certainly worthy of the severe warnings but winds/hail are the bigger story it seems.

Most high-shear events produce a lot of IC lighting with the discrete cells.  During the day you hardly notice the lighting.  The bigger linear segments often have tons of CGs, but they can be hard to see in the rain.  I really love storms that produce the big clear-air bolts out in front of the rain shaft, but they can be kinda rare.  You almost have to live in a place like Florida that gets the daily sea-breeze convergence storms to see CG shows consistently.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NTXYankee said:

lol eventually a line of storms won’t split or die when it moves into Columbus only to fill back in to the east.

Splits seem to happen because the outflow gets too far out ahead of the storm.  Today I got some good time-lapse of a big whale-mouth shelf.  It was so dark I thought for sure I was going to get clobbered, but when the shelf actually passed over the line was a bit broken with a lot of dry gaps between small cells.  I think the shear was directed too much along the line, rather than perpendicular.  I noticed the section that pivoted to the northeast (due to earlier MCV development) was more severe than the east-facing section.  Orientation of the line relative to the shear seems to make a huge difference with the strength of linear segments.  Supercells can do well with any outflow boundary orientation, so long as they aren't too crowded.  Linear segments crap out and split pretty easy when the orientation is wrong.

I finally got to check in. It looks like there was widespread wind damage. This ol' boy's tired from helping the town of Andrews clean up from 70+ MPH winds (was storm spotting there when it hit), then spent the evening helping fight a house fire. Pics later. Good night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laferri2 said:

Metro Detroit in particular has been ridiculously lean the last 10 years. I can count on one hand the number of storms I've seen with more than a couple lightning strikes since I moved to Macomb County in 2010. It gets really irritating hearing thunder from miles away as all the storms dance around Wayne and Macomb counties. 

I can't count the number of times I've watched my zip code ride a slot in between storm cells to stay dry. 

The typical thunderstorm is only several miles wide, the worst conditions maybe a mile or two wide, combine that with a specific location say a town that is a couple miles square and the odds of getting struck are actually quite small. Really it isnt uncommon at all to miss an event and for this area that already has limited opportunities that can lead to some pretty long boring stretches of weather

For example today at my house we had a couple garden variety storms nothing to write home about. I caught a storm roughly 13 miles wnw of my house and had some 3/4 in hail with winds gusting to est. 70mph for a good 5 straight mintues with lots of tree and powerline damage and some structural. Almost the entire western third of my county is without power. So 10-15 miles made the difference between a run of the mill storm and probably the worst storm in the immediate area in about 4 years. 

This happened a few hours ago at Sandusky, OH. It must have been something like a 100mph wind to break through bricks.

SANDUSKY, Ohio — Severe thunderstorms have been making their way through Northeast Ohio Wednesday, and as a result, a 92-year-old landmark appears to be in shambles.

Strong wind and rain heavily damaged the Sandusky State Theatre on Columbus Avenue. A 3News viewer sent us photos and video via Facebook, showing portions of the walls and roof gone with bricks scattered all over the sidewalk and street. A video from another viewer (which can be seen in the player above) captured the moment the wall collapsed.

source:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/weather/severe-weather/look-storms-severely-damage-sandusky-state-theater/95-6e570ecd-3488-4c91-9aa0-af4fe5c48682

• Like 1

The squall line here in Midwestern ON was among the most lame I've ever been in. It was so pethetic that even I was in disbelief, however hours later there was a second wind which packed a bit more punch but whatever. Just to nail home just how tame it was, I heard only ONE distant thunder during the passage!! Just some breezy heavy rains. I'm glad I didn't go out to chase this near the shoreline. Mark did and he doesn't know why it fell apart as it entered the more favorable parameter space but I've seen it nearly every time so its not a shock but the extent of the collapse was. It almost looked like K-W wasn't going to see anything at all but the 2nd round gave them some. Once again the warm front brought the goods and the cold front failed. There were some large limbs though down in the locale, I didn't see any high winds that could do that?

The second cluster that came up from MI that produced the real storm down south also delivered two tornadoes or so. 

My reports. It was a bad day in Huntington County. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
429 PM EDT THU JUN 11 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0215 PM     TSTM WND DMG     4 NNW MOUNT ETNA        40.80N 85.58W
06/10/2020                   HUNTINGTON         IN   EMERGENCY MNGR   

POWER LINES SPARKED IN HIGH WINDS SETTING 
            HOME ON FIRE WHICH WAS DESTROYED. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
416 PM EDT THU JUN 11 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0216 PM     TSTM WND DMG     GOBLESVILLE             40.99N 85.52W
06/10/2020                   HUNTINGTON         IN   EMERGENCY MNGR   

*** 2 INJ *** 
            2 GOLFERS INJURED AT CLEAR CREEK GOLF COURSE 
            WHEN HUT THEY WERE SHELTERED UNDER WAS 
            DESTROYED. 

• Sad 1