Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

On 8/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, uncle W said:

the worst part of recovery is I have to keep my head down most of the time for at least a week...I cant sleep on my back...Im lucky it was fixed just in time...I got the chinese virus test and it was negative...if it was positive i would have gone blind in that eye because they would not do the operation...

damn take care of yourself!  I saw Fauci recommend people wear eye protection because studies are showing it can spread via *any* mucous membrane, and that includes the eyes.......

23 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nasty derecho with 100 mph + winds heading for Chicago metro. That's all we would need during this heat and after last week

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
1208 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1152 AM     TSTM WND GST     2 WNW LE GRAND          42.02N 92.81W
08/10/2020  M106 MPH         MARSHALL           IA   MESONET

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nasty derecho with 100 mph + winds heading for Chicago metro. That's all we would need during this heat and after last week

1255 PM TSTM WND GST 1 S MIDWAY

42.09N 91.70W   08/10/2020 M112 MPH LINN IA EMERGENCY MNGR

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

TWC is going to start naming them aren't they?

Derecho Danyel is heading towards Chicago...187 million people in the path!

Are they naming them after their family members or something? Who the hell is "Danyel" lol.

That said, I do like the European method of naming big winter storms, it's a lot easier than having to refer to storms by the date they occur on, particularly when you have multiple big storms in the same month!  Like, when I'm referring to that big February 2010 storm, am I referring to the big blizzard that buried DC, the storm that occurred in the middle of the month that gave us a snow blitz after a wet start, or the storm near the end of the month that screwed over New England?

Jan 1978- are we referring to the triple phaser that detonated over the Ohio Valley or the big surprise snowstorm that hit us and New England?

I dont see why America wants to keep itself separate from the rest of the world- we dont use the metric system and we dont name all our historic storms.  And I dont mind if we go back to retroactively name them if that's what needs to be done.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Are they naming them after their family members or something? Who the hell is "Danyel" lol.

That said, I do like the European method of naming big winter storms, it's a lot easier than having to refer to storms by the date they occur on, particularly when you have multiple big storms in the same month!  Like, when I'm referring to that big February 2010 storm, am I referring to the big blizzard that buried DC, the storm that occurred in the middle of the month that gave us a snow blitz after a wet start, or the storm near the end of the month that screwed over New England?

Jan 1978- are we referring to the triple phaser that detonated over the Ohio Valley or the big surprise snowstorm that hit us and New England?

I dont see why America wants to keep itself separate from the rest of the world- we dont use the metric system and we dont name all our historic storms.  And I dont mind if we go back to retroactively name them if that's what needs to be done.

I did a quick check. The name is of Hebrew origin and means “God is my judge”. After looking at the radar representation of what was approaching Chicago, the name seems well placed. As always ...

• Thanks 1

Did a quick search on 'leaves' here and it looks like there's been some discussion on this, but any idea why so many trees look like they are experiencing an early autumn?

I heard/read it could be from saltwater whipped up during Isaias, but how far inland would experience that effect?  I see this at least as far north as the Ronkonkoma branch of the LIRR in western Suffolk (near KFRG.)  I did notice that it's the leaves primarily on the south side of the trees that are browned, so maybe that is in fact what's going on.  I can't say that I noticed it prior to the storm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

damn take care of yourself!  I saw Fauci recommend people wear eye protection because studies are showing it can spread via *any* mucous membrane, and that includes the eyes.......

anything Fauci says I do the opposite...I said a long time ago a mask cant protect your eyes if someone coughs or sneezes near you...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, uncle W said:

anything Fauci says I do the opposite...I said a long time ago a mask cant protect your eyes if someone coughs or sneezes near you...

I know, right? The only way it’d work is if the person who coughed or sneezed was wearing something that covered their mouth and nose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

I know, right? The only way it’d work is if the person who coughed or sneezed was wearing something that covered their mouth and nose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

But unless that thing is an actual mask, like an N95/N100 or P100 with cartridges, the particles can go right through.

I'm definitely not against masks, because it's at least some form of barrier, but don't let it make you overconfident either.  People also need to learn to wear them correctly (cover the nose)!  Hand washing is so important, yet so overlooked, because I still see people touch surfaces and then touch their face without sanitizing.  This is what causes a lot of illness in general.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 3:09 PM, Rjay said:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
1208 PM CDT MON AUG 10 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1152 AM     TSTM WND GST     2 WNW LE GRAND          42.02N 92.81W
08/10/2020  M106 MPH         MARSHALL           IA   MESONET

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I’m not up on the growth of commercial soybean or corm. I would imagine, individual farmers would not likely be insured for such an event. Perhaps some can be salvaged. The atmosphere cares not for us or our works. An applicable, well said, line in regard to our climate may just be “as ye sow .......... and as always ......

19 minutes ago, rclab said:

I’m not up on the growth of commercial soybean or corm. I would imagine, individual farmers would not likely be insured for such an event. Perhaps some can be salvaged. The atmosphere cares not for us or our works. An applicable, well said, line in regard to our climate may just be “as ye sow .......... and as always ......

One farmer is hoping that his insurance will cover a portion of the losses. I have a ton of respect for anyone that can make a go of such a large agricultural business. I have seen how much of a challenge even a home garden on a few acres of land can be. Many new starts ups  are attempting to do indoor vertical farming with varying degrees of success.

https://www.kcci.com/article/derecho-damage-to-iowa-crops/33577652

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/11/8/16611710/vertical-farms

• Like 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic