Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

37 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

8-10 foot bullshark sighted just of Lido beach.  another sighting in Long Beach as well. Great. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/large-shark-spotted-off-long-island-beach-may-have-chomped-on-sea-skate/2536264/

Hempstead closed their beaches. Also reportedly a woman was killed in a shark attack in Maine today.

NY just passed some of the stiffest drinking water regulations in the country- now applying these regulations to 1,4 Dioxine to Trace amounts (it's a cleaning chemical found in water on Long Island) using a UV cleaning system and using a carbon filtration system to remove PFOA/PFOS....... the new regs will cost $700 million but are worth it for cleaner water.  Town of Hempstead is suing Dow for the chemical dump...the extra cost should be passed onto them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Does anyone know if the sharks have moved away from the coast on LI? The wife wants to go to the beach again and it looks like tomorrow morning ought to be ok but I don't want to drive an hour and a half if we can't go in the water.

I have been a life guard at Jones beach for 21 years and I truly believe this whole thing has gotten so blown out of proportion. I have seen sharks numerous times and we just don’t tell the general public. It’s the ocean and there are sharks. There has never been a shark attack on a human in NY in modern times. The risk is so incredibly small, you have a better chance of winning powerball then being attacked.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I have been a life guard at Jones beach for 21 years and I truly believe this whole thing has gotten so blown out of proportion. I have seen sharks numerous times and we just don’t tell the general public. It’s the ocean and there are sharks. There has never been a shark attack on a human in NY in modern times. The risk is so incredibly small, you have a better chance of winning powerball then being attacked.

Yes but will the water be closed? It's a waste of a day if we can't go in the water.

18 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Kinda nerdy, but I'm excited about the likelihood that I'll see fireflies in my yard during four consecutive calendar months. By far the longest season for them that I've witnessed.

You're so lucky to have them.

The Parks Dept here in NYC sprays religiously, which ensures that the biting bugs are nearly zilch in Central Park, but of course that chops the fireflies and other insects as well. Even the cicadas are by appointment only this year, I've heard maybe a couple in Central Park.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I've got plenty of cicadas but almost no fireflies. 

Think we are late in the season for fireflies, they are more a late spring early summer phenomenon. I'm still hoping for stragglers here in NYC though.

Last night was firefly central here. Well, across the street in the neighbors yard but close enough :) In the last two weeks I've also had an explosion of different bee species and dragonflies. I can still do 200-300 mile days in the car and only have one or two bug splatters on the windshield so the insect die off is definitely real :( 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Last night was firefly central here. Well, across the street in the neighbors yard but close enough :) In the last two weeks I've also had an explosion of different bee species and dragonflies. I can still do 200-300 mile days in the car and only have one or two bug splatters on the windshield so the insect die off is definitely real :( 

Maybe if you didn't drive so slow... :oldman:

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I would enjoy seeing that again. The last time I saw a swarm of fireflies was in Dardanelles Arkansas over a half century ago. Seeing that Again was on my bucket list. It seems that kicking is likely to occur well before filling. The postage stamp is dark and silent again. The family of raccoons has been safely relocated and the bushy tailed tree rodents have filled the void. The entitled felines, mine and other are above it all. Butterfly’s are a rare sight. The other morning my adopted clipped ear feline Honey was in the postage stamp and started meowing. From what I understand a cat only meows to get a humans attention. I opened the back window and she comes jumping up with something dark on her face. I thought she was hurt. As she jumped into the kitchen something dropped to the floor. It was a large blue/ black butterfly with, I believe, color dots in its wings. I was horrified. I quickly picked it up, righted it and brought it to the window, It flew off seeming miraculously unhurt. Honey is young with good teeth. She carried that beautiful winged creature without hurting it, was it luck, an accident, a present for me? I’ll never know. At least it ended well and I haven’t seen one since. As always ....

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Maybe if you didn't drive so slow... :oldman:

No no, I drive a slow car... fast :) 

@rclab there hasn't been the variety or quantity of butterflies as in years past but they have increased the last week or so and there are some real beauties, I even saw a Monarch a few days ago. Unfortunately it was only the third one this year whereas last year there were hundreds.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 11:48 AM, etudiant said:

You're so lucky to have them.

The Parks Dept here in NYC sprays religiously, which ensures that the biting bugs are nearly zilch in Central Park, but of course that chops the fireflies and other insects as well. Even the cicadas are by appointment only this year, I've heard maybe a couple in Central Park.

there are some areas of the Park where there are signs warning people not to let kids or pets onto the grass because what's been sprayed is dangerous to them.

10 hours ago, rclab said:

I would enjoy seeing that again. The last time I saw a swarm of fireflies was in Dardanelles Arkansas over a half century ago. Seeing that Again was on my bucket list. It seems that kicking is likely to occur well before filling. The postage stamp is dark and silent again. The family of raccoons has been safely relocated and the bushy tailed tree rodents have filled the void. The entitled felines, mine and other are above it all. Butterfly’s are a rare sight. The other morning my adopted clipped ear feline Honey was in the postage stamp and started meowing. From what I understand a cat only meows to get a humans attention. I opened the back window and she comes jumping up with something dark on her face. I thought she was hurt. As she jumped into the kitchen something dropped to the floor. It was a large blue/ black butterfly with, I believe, color dots in its wings. I was horrified. I quickly picked it up, righted it and brought it to the window, It flew off seeming miraculously unhurt. Honey is young with good teeth. She carried that beautiful winged creature without hurting it, was it luck, an accident, a present for me? I’ll never know. At least it ended well and I haven’t seen one since. As always ....

Sounds like she caught a Pipevine Swallowtail, they are still reasonably abundant, although disappointing as prey.

I'm sure your cat would have much preferred a more substantial prey to offer to you, poor thing is probably mortified.

Frankly, no brilliant thoughts, cats are predatory pets, they are born to hunt and kill things. Absent rats and mice, something else will do, squirrels, warblers, whatever....  Other than keeping the poor things in all the time, there is no solution afaik.

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic