Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

On 5/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, 40westwx said:

Why dont you guys have a corona virus thread like the other regions!?

Bc every one of those threads is a total joke and have no place here.  Amwx has an entire political forum where everyone can post their awful takes.   After reading the SNE thread for 10 minutes i want to vomit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, uncle W said:

whats your list...everything is based on the economy...

existential threats top the list.

also, the economy isn't a monolith, there is "long term" vs "short term"- and I generally go for long term sustainability over anything short term.  Thats why I advocate for green energy, universal healthcare, a better diet (no processed or sugary foods, etc.)

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Bc every one of those threads is a total joke and have no place here.  Amwx has an entire political forum where everyone can post their awful takes.   After reading the SNE thread for 10 minutes i want to vomit.  

Yes, and it's enough to talk on the political forum, no need to replicate the same stuff here.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, matt8204 said:

Bingo. DeBlasio just said NYC might have to cut at least 22,000 jobs. How is that good for anyone? As I alluded to last night, this is also going to impact essential public services. Health is important and we need to find the right balance but you don’t have a society without a functioning economy.

NY is a lot better off than antiscience states like Florida, which is getting screwed over on both fronts....from the pandemic and from sea level rise.  Within a few decades I wouldn't be surprised if Miami no longer exists, even if they continue their water pumping practices-- they cant keep up with sea level rise.  I expect a big population rise for Orlando, people are already talking about it.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, Rjay said:

Yep

the pandemic is a referendum on places that dont take care of their environment and are ignorant of science....like Brazil, the American South, etc.  It's also a referendum on areas with a high population density being bad, like NY, but at least NY learned its lesson quickly.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, matt8204 said:

Maybe this is what has to happen in order for a necessary reckoning to take place. Bailouts often serve to just kick the can down the road even further. 

the necessary reckoning is actually coming from nature.  Take care of the environment or it will not take care of you.  

On 6/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, matt8204 said:

Things will never be the same in this country.  In fact, it's likely to be pretty miserable for several decades minimum.  The economy will never truly recover either but we need to pick up whatever pieces we can and try to go forward before it turns into a true banana republic.

in the long term it will likely be a positive (for the entire planet.)  I expect a fully sustainable green planet within 2 decades and universal healthcare, with the people of the future looking back and mocking people who didn't have the foresight to do it sooner.

Looks like Darwin and Nature are in the process of taking care of them.

On another topic

that class action bayer/monsanto lost, people think that giving up 10 billion dollars is a lot, but it isn't, it gets divided among 100,000 people who got cancer from round up, so it's only 100,000 per person and thats before the govt takes its cut....it should have been 100 billion which is the price for which bayer paid to buy monsanto, at least the cancer victims would have gotten 1 million each before govt took its cut

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

existential threats top the list.

also, the economy isn't a monolith, there is "long term" vs "short term"- and I generally go for long term sustainability over anything short term.  Thats why I advocate for green energy, universal healthcare, a better diet (no processed or sugary foods, etc.)

we have enough nanny's already running the country...

14 minutes ago, uncle W said:

we have enough nanny's already running the country...

it's about being scientifically literate.

and it's the future, and although there is push back from the older generation, these changes are absolutely necessary.

The history of humanity is that it is very late in making necessary changes and that has dire consequences.

Either we make the changes or nature will make the changes for us, and her way will be MUCH harsher.

On the positive side, the greatest reforms often happen after pandemics and other great tragedies like this....and this wont be any different.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's about being scientifically literate.

and it's the future, and although there is push back from the older generation, these changes are absolutely necessary.

The history of humanity is that it is very late in making necessary changes and that has dire consequences.

Either we make the changes or nature will make the changes for us, and her way will be MUCH harsher.

On the positive side, the greatest reforms often happen after pandemics and other great tragedies like this....and this wont be any different.

never happen in the real world...start with China and see how their government reacts...

9 minutes ago, uncle W said:

never happen in the real world...start with China and see how their government reacts...

China is a cesspool of pollution and corruption.  I have good examples of how a government should work- like New Zealand, Norway, Finland, and a few others.  What they all have in common is no dirty money in politics and swift responses to emergencies.

56 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Thanks and good riddance. I had no idea the radar was was that close to the obstruction, literally walking distance.

That stack is just to the NW of the radome. I can remember noticing it when I did the NWS office tour a while back. Be interesting to see if the removal is still on track for this summer.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Woohoo. I won't be directly under the cone of emptiness anymore.

It will be a nice improvement for your area.

What is that narrow band that doesn’t show any snow? It pops up a lot, and since my home is in the gap (westport CT), I get innacurate forecasts. Just curious what is happening. Thanks!

wUgBSIdf_reasonably_small.jpg

It's beam blockage. There's a building or structure close enough to the radar, that a portion of the radar beam is blocked, leading to what seems like light or no precipitation near the surface. If you look at higher tilts (higher elevation angles) however, the blockage goes away
  • Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic