Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2020 Banter

doncat

14 hours ago, SACRUS said:

Not sure if but likely due to the warmer winter there is a tremendous amount of birds and squirrels this season.

It's been a banner year for wildlife in my yard. The place is lousy with snakes, more than I've ever seen. Families of possums, skunks, foxes, and raccoons hanging around. Beavers and otters cavorting in the pond. Earlier this week I was taking star pictures in my driveway and had a black bear walk over to see what I was up to. We coexisted peacefully for a bit until it made a bee-line for the garbage bin, then I shooed it off. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's been a banner year for wildlife in my yard. The place is lousy with snakes, more than I've ever seen. Families of possums, skunks, foxes, and raccoons hanging around. Beavers and otters cavorting in the pond. Earlier this week I was taking star pictures in my driveway and had a black bear walk over to see what I was up to. We coexisted peacefully for a bit until it made a bee-line for the garbage bin, then I shooed it off. 

Saw a garter snake last week just chillin in the brush.

Did it actually come right up to you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Saw a garter snake last week just chillin in the brush.

Did it actually come right up to you?

About ten feet away... closer than the length of my truck. It wasn't showing any signs of aggression, so I figured best thing to do was just let it satisfy its curiosity. Definitely caught me at a disadvantage though if it weren't in such a good mood. 

• Like 1

I’ve been seeing garter snakes since March, as is tradition, also have milk snakes. I saw one a couple weeks ago that was at least three feet long, that will get your attention. They are completely harmless to humans but are often mistaken for a poisonous snake, including myself the first time I encountered one years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

About ten feet away... closer than the length of my truck. It wasn't showing any signs of aggression, so I figured best thing to do was just let it satisfy its curiosity. Definitely caught me at a disadvantage though if it weren't in such a good mood. 

Would've scared the heck out of me, not gonna lie lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ve been seeing garter snakes since March, as is tradition, also have milk snakes. I saw one a couple weeks ago that was at least three feet long, that will get your attention. They are completely harmless to humans but are often mistaken for a poisonous snake, including myself the first time I encountered one years ago. 

I almost stepped on a milk yesterday. The old mnemonic proved helpful: "black on yellow, you're a dead fel-- no, red on black-- wait, red, yellow... Jack's a dead fellow... but was it yellow on--?" and by the time you remember the doggone thing, the snake's long gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm hearing lots of stories about people encountering timber rattlers and copperheads all over the region, bad stuff... I deal with pretty much most critters pretty well but snakes, NOPE.

Interesting difference, I freak out about ticks, but snakes and spiders are just fine.

Garter Snakes are actually  quite silky, if you touch them. Don't know about the others,  never touched a rattler.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I almost stepped on a milk yesterday. The old mnemonic proved helpful: "black on yellow, you're a dead fel-- no, red on black-- wait, red, yellow... Jack's a dead fellow... but was it yellow on--?" and by the time you remember the doggone thing, the snake's long gone.

Think it was 'red on yellow, friendly fellow. Red on black, stand back'. 

That said, probably best to just get out of their way. 

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm hearing lots of stories about people encountering timber rattlers and copperheads all over the region, bad stuff... I deal with pretty much most critters pretty well but snakes, NOPE.

are you a small rodent?

• Haha 8

the average number of 70 degree minimums have gone up in the last decade...starting with the 1930's these are the average 70 degree minimums for a ten year period and the average consecutive days for a decade...

decade...total days...consecutive...

1930-39.....29.9...…….7.7

1940-49.....32.4...…….6.4

1950-59.....29.4...…….7.3

1960-69.....23.9...…….5.7

1970-79.....33.2...…..10.3

1980-89.....37.3...…..11.4

1990-99.....31.9...…….9.3

2000-09.....34.5...…….9.3

2010-19.....47.4...…..12.6

• Like 1

7 hours ago, uncle W said:

the average number of 70 degree minimums have gone up in the last decade...starting with the 1930's these are the average 70 degree minimums for a ten year period and the average consecutive days for a decade...

decade...total days...consecutive...

1930-39.....29.9...…….7.7

1940-49.....32.4...…….6.4

1950-59.....29.4...…….7.3

1960-69.....23.9...…….5.7

1970-79.....33.2...…..10.3

1980-89.....37.3...…..11.4

1990-99.....31.9...…….9.3

2000-09.....34.5...…….9.3

2010-19.....47.4...…..12.6

was that 2017 when JFK had like 42 75+ dew point days?

• Rjay unpinned this topic