Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2020

Bostonseminole

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah looked a tick SE of 00z. 

I couldn't tell if it was that or it is just more compact (given the precip totals up and down the coast). Either way, if those precip totals verified to 80% a lot of dirt roads in western and central Mass would be in trouble. And luckily the Housatonic is low. 

Housatonic River at Gaylordsville

As I say over and over on this board, Im not Met but to me Isaias really look like he is getting his act together.  Sat Vis looks impressive and radar showing wrapping around the center.  Perhaps this is going to go through a brief period of pretty rapid deepening?  This is sure not a naked swirl coming up the coast.  I wonder if this is going to be an overachiever?  So many SNE storms go SE of us but a storm accelerating north up the coast and going just west on this track will surprise some.  I think this will be a big overachiever and I don't usually say that.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pluffmud said:

Can anyone post the latest Uk!?

All sorts of good stuff here. Looks nasty verbatim for ern CT into RI. Not sure I buy it deepening like that over land, but I think some of the more baroclinic processes that we see in the wintertime, like strong venting from jet streaks, is helping. 

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ukmet&p=sfcwind_mslp&rh=2020080312&fh=36&r=us_ma&dpdt=&mc=

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

As I say over and over on this board, Im not Met but to me Isaias really look like he is getting his act together.  Sat Vis looks impressive and radar showing wrapping around the center.  Perhaps this is going to go through a brief period of pretty rapid deepening?  This is sure not a naked swirl coming up the coast.  I wonder if this is going to be an overachiever?  So many SNE storms go SE of us but a storm accelerating north up the coast and going just west on this track will surprise some.  I think this will be a big overachiever and I don't usually say that.  

I'm still not impressed with satellite. It has a WSW-ENE elongated area of convection with drier air wrapping into the srn side. It's getting frontal features. However, from here on out, it may get a boost from things like jet stream, baroclinic processes etc. I haven't paid attn...is recon finding lower pressure?

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

All sorts of good stuff here. Looks nasty verbatim for ern CT into RI. Not sure I buy it deepening like that over land, but I think some of the more baroclinic processes that we see in the wintertime, like strong venting from jet streaks, is helping. 

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ukmet&p=sfcwind_mslp&rh=2020080312&fh=36&r=us_ma&dpdt=&mc=

I can definitely see how it is not going to rapidly weaken over land like so many systems given the shear direction and jet. But keeping so much strength given the land track is hard to believe. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It has 80-100mph gusts . While my heart says yes please , my mind says too high 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks! 

Just now, PowderBeard said:

It went just a little insane. 120mph gusts on the Jersey shore and LI. I will say this damn model has been consistent.

I believe it's some kind of algorithm used to mechanically mix down wind from a certain level. I think there's rarely any real world validity to the numbers those maps spit out.