Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2020

Bostonseminole

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

All the best forcing for rain is west of the circulation.  Gonna be huge disappointment around eastern areas.

Yeah I think at this juncture anyone looking for or thinking we'll see widespread heavy rainfall is misguided. There will be some heavy rain...just not as widespread as some are thinking. At this juncture the greatest concern is

1) Winds and power outage potential 

2) Major coastal flooding

3) Risk for isolated tornadoes

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah I think at this juncture anyone looking for or thinking we'll see widespread heavy rainfall is misguided. There will be some heavy rain...just not as widespread as some are thinking. At this juncture the greatest concern is

1) Winds and power outage potential 

2) Major coastal flooding

3) Risk for isolated tornadoes

To all 3 of those points, I think the greatest risks in New England are in western areas.  Not saying we can't rule out a rogue spin up or rain band, I just see the majority of issues being over W NE.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

To all 3 of those points, I think the greatest risks in New England are in western areas.  Not saying we can't rule out a rogue spin up or rain band, I just see the majority of issues being over W NE.

certainly don't disagree with that. Outside of perhaps some gusty winds and showers with could give some a nice little drink you guys out in the east are going to be shafted 

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wind especially Hartford south and east. Eastern Mass is out of this one.

20200803_083523.jpg

20200803_083541.jpg

Screenshot_20200803-084041_Thermometer.jpg

This situation that we're dealing with is why I am legit scared of a major hurricane impacting us. I mean think about it...our window of knowing like 100% certain that we will get nailed is like what...maybe 8-12 hours? Sure we can have an idea it will happen and make necessary preparations but there is still that uncertainty...by the time we really are certain it's too late to really act. It would be an absolute disaster, especially if you ever had to talk evacuations. How many people are really going to take something seriously when the main wording is "we still don't know"? 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It won't really transition much.

Yeah... agreed - give 'im credit for trying, tho.  Heh.

but yeah no this is a very deep barotropic air mass... I bet the Bahama sounding over Logan at this point.  In fact, I might have mentioned this the other day, that there were semblances in the runs for a "Bahama Blue" pattern ...and well, this is essentially it. Or at least it will be 24 hours from now.

I have also opined in the ancient past how it never seems to be that a TC is actually around in the exit region of that jet down S but rats bid if we don't actually have that circumstance ...sort of.   Usually, it's a lucky timing issue with a transient trough over WV and a retreating ridge the captures ...  Carol and Hazel..etc   Donna I think all were not really BB patterns but "got lucky" ??  

I think 1938 might have been a late season BBer based on testimonials and accounts of a "...Week of sultry humid weather..." before hand but who knows.   

Anyway, probably it's just a matter of getting two rare phenomenon to land on the same date, ....like it's twice as rare.   Oh if one is a dramatist they prefer it to be a category 3 hurricane and not one COVID coughing its way up the coast both too slow and two week and technically ... not even on the right trajectory to even remotely justify 30 f'n pages of coverage ... but, what's the alternative - right

But with ...whatever form this thing has as it moves N, it will be anomalously embedded all quadrants inside a rather sub-tropical transport all the way up. The phase transition may be delayed over climo because of that.  This is mostly going to be a failed momentum in the first place, then losing warm water as it fringes land.  Even the Bite waters are nearing 80, ...albeit shallow, but really... That's a 'nother thing...I've often wondered if a Cat 4 ever turned the corner in these modern times ...while it is 80 F SST at buoy/station 44025 ...  As a tremendous stroke of luck to civility I suppose, the climo for LI express is after Sept 5th ...when we've already shed 5 to 7 F off those shallow numbers. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And we say time and time again the algorithms use awful calculations. Ryan said he has 30-40 inland and 40-55 on S coast. I could see some 60mph gusts too.

We have watched the Euro gust maps with these southerly event storms and they have performed pretty damn good. Those maps are not any different from what Ryan said. When you see Euro soundings like this you need to raise HWW pretty far inland.

Screenshot_20200803-085430_Thermometer.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We have watched the Euro gust maps with these southerly event storms and they have performed pretty damn good. Those maps are not any different from what Ryan said. When you see Euro soundings like this you need to raise HWW pretty far inland.

Screenshot_20200803-085430_Thermometer.jpg

Agree. I think 50-60mph will be achieved all of CT with ease and you’ll get some 70 mph gusts in severe cells 

Getting a little concerned about the tornado potential in CT tomorrow...models are spitting out quite a bit of CAPE...especially within the lowest 3km. NAM bufkit soundings showing >300 J of 3km CAPE and over 1000 J of 6km CAPE...those are quite high given the amount of shear. I'll also add this...we may see llvl lapse rates steep enough to where these winds can certainly overperform...especially with any convective elements.