Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2020

Bostonseminole

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Odds are forever in his favor on NBD here.  It takes a precise track to make TCs meaningful in New England.  Let's stick to model analysis and lay off calling people out.

Thanks all I did was post the data with zero comment.  6 Z Euro takes it into Miami then up the spine of Florida.  Lots of solutions but the westward trend is pretty obvious this morning 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

6Z Euro 

9-km_ECMWF_USA_Surface_+3-Hourly_Miami_MSLP.gif

I also recall the euro doing a similar solution with (I think it was Michael?) last year? That is certainly possible...I think we'll know just how possible though by this evening. I am shocked this was kept a cat 1 given the recent recon flights. But, if we start seeing signs of strengthening or organization over the next several hours this solution IMO can be tossed pretty quickly...but for now it's something to consider.

6z HWRF(s) and HMON both have this making landfall on the SC/NC border, staying inland for a bit then re-emerging and heading NE into New England.  Not disliking that track, gets us the rain we need without a ton of damaging wind... seems like Euro op is on its own at the moment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12z tropical models still more in line with just off FL coast and into various parts of SNE.

Do you think we see any type of PRE with this? Models look a bit dry for Monday (though they get wetter Monday night) but given the flow Monday with some lift you have to wonder if we'll see some heavy rain around...maybe not exactly PRE.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah recon hasn't been awfully impressive. Some of the hurricane guidance though has Isaias becoming more organized today as it moves NW and removes itself from the influence of DR/Haiti so I'm not surprised we see continuity in the 8am advisory. If it's weaker, it isn't by that much given the central pressure IMO. 

My guess is the 06z EPS doesn't follow the op...it hasn't endorsed this weak-west track in bulk since the early forecast. 

Seems like it is also being impacted by some westerly shear? I haven't looked at shear forecasts moving forward but is shear to become more or less favorable? 

16 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah recon hasn't been awfully impressive. Some of the hurricane guidance though has Isaias becoming more organized today as it moves NW and removes itself from the influence of DR/Haiti so I'm not surprised we see continuity in the 8am advisory. If it's weaker, it isn't by that much given the central pressure IMO. 

My guess is the 06z EPS doesn't follow the op...it hasn't endorsed this weak-west track in bulk since the early forecast. 

It does follow the op.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Do you think we see any type of PRE with this? Models look a bit dry for Monday (though they get wetter Monday night) but given the flow Monday with some lift you have to wonder if we'll see some heavy rain around...maybe not exactly PRE.

I don't see evidence yet, but I think we need to wait to see how the trough interacts with this. The storm is so small, it may prevent a PRE.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't see evidence yet, but I think we need to wait to see how the trough interacts with this. The storm is so small, it may prevent a PRE.

Ahhh interesting...thanks. This system does look to be rather small and compact.

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The TCHP plot? There's a fantastic archive here:

https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/cyclone/data/fulllist.php

Thanks. This is what happens when I try to forecast the forecast lol. Still don't agree with it, but definitely on the table if this stays weak. 

This is great, thank you!

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I also recall the euro doing a similar solution with (I think it was Michael?) last year? That is certainly possible...I think we'll know just how possible though by this evening. I am shocked this was kept a cat 1 given the recent recon flights. But, if we start seeing signs of strengthening or organization over the next several hours this solution IMO can be tossed pretty quickly...but for now it's something to consider.

6Z EPS buries Izzy inland

eps_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_42.png

eps_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_66.png

eps_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_120.png

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Would this be the smallest tropical cyclone up in these parts? It seems most of our historical hits have been larger storms?

I'm sure too the size has to play a significant factor in the progression of it as it moves up the coast. I thought too that these systems typically expand as they move north in latitude (especially if the system is transitioning from tropical to sub-tropical or extra-tropical). A smaller system could also perhaps mean a higher probability for some significant impact on a localized level?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm sure too the size has to play a significant factor in the progression of it as it moves up the coast. I thought too that these systems typically expand as they move north in latitude (especially if the system is transitioning from tropical to sub-tropical or extra-tropical). A smaller system could also perhaps mean a higher probability for some significant impact on a localized level?

I just hope we get a PRE that would make our mommas proud 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If this does go into FL.. good chance we see no rain here as it rots out south of us. You want rain.. then you aren’t rooting for FL

ehh not sure I totally agree with that. Given the position of the trough axis and mean flow ahead of it we'll get typical summer-time pop up downpours and t'storms daily...but to your point certainly nothing that would provide widespread relief.