Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
June Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

It’s winter in North Carolina today.

Wow you're not kidding!  Just checked Raleigh -- rain and 60, highs tomorrow low 60s.  Sheesh!  Meanwhile we are basking at 76 and partly sunny in central MD.  I feel for anyone that went to the Outer Banks or VA Beach this week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Wow you're not kidding!  Just checked Raleigh -- rain and 60, highs tomorrow low 60s.  Sheesh!  Meanwhile we are basking at 76 and partly sunny in central MD.  I feel for anyone that went to the Outer Banks or VA Beach this week.

You guys know I lurk here in the winter thought I'd share this with you.   Fayetteville (KFAY) broke its all time low maximum by 10 °F.  Today's high was 65 °F.  Previous low max was 75 °F back in 1927.  So crushed a 93 year old record by 10 °F.  Nothing too exciting.

And yes, we have been asking where these anomalies were in January.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

15 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Been in obx since Saturday and it’s been pretty miserable. Thankfully I got 2nd trip later in summer but this has been rough one

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rvarookie said:

Been in obx since Saturday and it’s been pretty miserable. Thankfully I got 2nd trip later in summer but this has been rough one

I feel for you. I'm on the sound side in Currituck and it's been brutal. We had the same thing 2 weeks ago when it rained everyday all week long. It's a bummer for the folks that spent all that money to get down here. May be able to salvage Thursday and Friday,  fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stormpc said:

I feel for you. I'm on the sound side in Currituck and it's been brutal. We had the same thing 2 weeks ago when it rained everyday all week long. It's a bummer for the folks that spent all that money to get down here. May be able to salvage Thursday and Friday,  fingers crossed. 

Apparently there were a few Portuguese Man O Wars floating up recently... maybe the rain will stop that for a bit and make them go away.

Drove through some actual drizzle on the way to work.

Might be some legit light showers later today and tonight. Looks like the transition from easterly flow to south/southwest flow will get underway tomorrow. Should have at least 4 days of warm/hot and humid before the next cold front drops down next Tuesday or so. Hopefully there will be several chances for showers/t-storms over the next few days with the warmer, more unstable air mass in place as the UL lifts NW and opens up.

19 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Sprinkler put in storage :yikes:

Yea...the humidity looks to return but high temps progged to be low 90s for F/S/S now replaced with upper 70s to 80 through Sunday here per Euro . Monday/ Tuesday mid 80s before the next front as u mentioned.  Sounds good to me. 

Weekend doesn't look as hot as it did a few days ago on guidance. Probably low to mid 80s and plenty humid though. I would still think many areas manage low 90s early next week before the next front arrives. The easterly flow will be long gone and being right around the solstice, I will definitely take the over on temps.

Heat is being delayed a couple days but not denied, the ULL is hanging around longer than I thought it would. Starting Monday, the forecast has highs 88-91 each day till the end of the forecast with nights in the low 70s

44 minutes ago, mappy said:

bummed the heat backed off for the weekend. 

Heat at long range so far has been muted in the short term, while areas far to the North bust through 90. SE Canada for example. 

Some associate this pattern with the cold pool in the Atlantic , looks different than other years recently.  As the Atlantic SSTs change I would imagine the sensible weather around here will change also.  I know soil moisture is very low. Ground very hard around the property, as some grasses ( fescue ) going dormant already.

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This has been a pretty persistent h5 look so far this Spring/early summer. Keep the mean upper ridge out west and prolonged bouts of extreme heat will be hard to come by here.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_9.png

No extreme heat in the near future but that doesn't mean we won't reach 90F here and there, just no mid-upper 90s or anything. I'm fine with this pattern.

Edit: I'm wondering if the huge Saharan Air Layer outbreak right now will reach the U.S and cause a hot and dry summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Heat is being delayed a couple days but not denied, the ULL is hanging around longer than I thought it would. Starting Monday, the forecast has highs 88-91 each day till the end of the forecast with nights in the low 70s

The summer without summer seems to be shaping up.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I like sustained heat in the summer (90s).

46 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm getting ready to call bust on the rain forecast.  

Roanoke and surrounding counties have gotta be at least double avg ytd rainfall...Just the upper low last month and this one has dropped  15 to 20 inches combined down in that area...Seems like there are flood warnings every few days down there..

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic