Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2020

George BM

17 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Anyone want some of my 108F heat we'll see today?

Btw, all is good over here in the Lone Star state. Despite our state getting ransacked by COVID at the moment and our county doubling up cases in a month, wife and I are playing it smart and safe. We are both healthy. I'm ~30 lbs down in weight. Almost not diabetic (Again) and just purchased a brand new car! I'll post some pictures in another post. Hope everyone here is doing well. Wife and I will be in the homeland late July. I don't foresee us meeting anyone here while this is all going on, just out of safety. But in the future, a meet up is a must! 

Stay safe y'all and get out and enjoy nature as much as you can. The summer season is upon us :icecream:

You got me beat in Buda - we ONLY hit 96 degrees here. Lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I have to tell you, this part really touched me. I think of my niece, who just turned four. All the joy and innocence in the world, and I know that someday, probably soon, she will have to be told that she didn’t do anything wrong, but there are people out there that hate and would hurt her just because of how she looks. 

Of all the things over the last month, that might be the most devastating. That it’s a certainty that day will come because we didn’t do enough collectively to stop it. 

That is heart wrenching. And it drives me crazy that so many can’t empathize with that. Someday we will have to reckon with the sins of our past that perpetuates generation after generation if we ever wish to move towards a future without this unhealthy wound tearing at our society.   But imo our failure extends even beyond bigotry (although that is our greatest challenge).  For a Christian nation we don’t treat each other the way we should. We don’t take care of each other. We don’t show compassion and empathy for others. We don’t see the needs of others and think “how can we help”. We are tribalistic and egocentric and too many people are more worried about protecting their position than trying to make the world a better place. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I have to tell you, this part really touched me. I think of my niece, who just turned four. All the joy and innocence in the world, and I know that someday, probably soon, she will have to be told that she didn’t do anything wrong, but there are people out there that hate and would hurt her just because of how she looks. 

Of all the things over the last month, that might be the most devastating. That it’s a certainty that day will come because we didn’t do enough collectively to stop it. 

I've told this story(or maybe I haven't) before but it feels more important now than before.  My dad was a racist.  Said awful things about all minorities.  Growing up and being around him I heard it all.  And of course to want that love from a dad I more often than not went along with it.  Hell, I was a kid.  I didn't know any better.  So as you can assume, I started to think like him.

Fast forward to college and going out on my own.  Being exposed to different people, backgrounds, cultures showed that I was dead wrong.  I started to hate my dad for brainwashing me and being ignorant to the changing world around me.

When I had kids I made a promise.  I promised that hate would have no place in my house.  My kids would enjoy a life where everyone is welcome and treated equally and they won't look at how a person looks first.  Its whats inside.  I ended up having words with my dad once when he said stuff around my son when he was little.  Told him that if he was going to be like that then kiss his grandson goodbye.  He wouldn't see him any more or any grandkid.  

Line in the sand.  The hate ends with me.  The next generation can be the ones to Sheppard in better, less hateful times.

Racism is borne from ignorance and fear.  Whats to fear?  You put your pants on like I do.  You and everyone are human beings with the right to be free and prosper.  How hard is that to let happen?

I'm sorry that the reality is what it is for you and your family.  I pledge to do my part to make things a better place for everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I never heard that story, so thank you for sharing @H2O. That’s the way we really overcome this. 

He's a good guy, and so are you. Sorry that is something you have to worry about regarding your niece. But she has a fabulous Uncle to look up to. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I never heard that story, so thank you for sharing @H2O. That’s the way we really overcome this. 

If it comes across as self serving, my apologies.  The intent is to show that change is possible and that it takes time to erase the old way of thinking.  My hope is that my kids, other kids will be given the chance to see everyone equally.  And THEN the world can really be the better place we all want it to be.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mappy said:

He's a good guy, and so are you. Sorry that is something you have to worry about regarding your niece. But she has a fabulous Uncle to look up to. :) 

I'm ok.  I do learn well and that helps avoid having to be sternly talked to. ;)

• Haha 2

Wow! I'm feeling extremely good about our storm prospects for later in the day! CAPE is already looking great as of 15z and shear will become extreme by the mid-late afternoon hours.

15zMesoAnalysisCAPE2.thumb.png.a7edd89b084552b7fbf58dcb2faf159f.png

All mesoscale guidance agrees on a very intense MCS screaming east through our region late this afternoon and into the early evening hours with supercells (likely tornadic) forming ahead of the main line by the mid afternoon hours.  

SPC already has us and a large portion of the Mid-Atlantic/Ohio Valley in a high risk for wind and tornadoes as of the 13z update!

SPChighrisk6232020.thumb.png.ff018323a54ca8c080c911fe9c831f11.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Wow! I'm feeling extremely good about our storm prospects for later in the day! CAPE is already looking great as of 15z and shear will become extreme by the mid-late afternoon hours.

15zMesoAnalysisCAPE2.thumb.png.a7edd89b084552b7fbf58dcb2faf159f.png

All mesoscale guidance agrees on a very intense MCS screaming east through our region late this afternoon and into the early evening hours with supercells (likely tornadic) forming ahead of the main line by the mid afternoon hours.  

SPC already has us and a large portion of the Mid-Atlantic/Ohio Valley in a high risk for wind and tornadoes as of the 13z update!

SPChighrisk6232020.thumb.png.ff018323a54ca8c080c911fe9c831f11.png

Idk I’m not really seeing it Georgie

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, H2O said:

If it comes across as self serving, my apologies.  The intent is to show that change is possible and that it takes time to erase the old way of thinking.  My hope is that my kids, other kids will be given the chance to see everyone equally.  And THEN the world can really be the better place we all want it to be.

Hats off H2O.  Had a similar situation and environment growing up in Ohio.  Our school district was overwhelmingly Caucasian with only a couple minority families in the entire district.  Yet, we somehow knew who had linage to certain ethnic groups, but somehow some lines were "ok" but others weren't.  It didn't make sense to a 6 year old. 

I still remember the uproar in our small town about welcoming a few families from SE Asia who escaped the turmoil in that region in the early 70's.  They left with nothing but was on their backs for the hope of a better future in America.  Couldn't understand then why everyone was so upset - those families had kids "just like me" (in my eyes at the time).  

Recall the desegregation riots in the early 70's too.  All at a time I couldn't understand what was going on, but felt strongly even at that young age we're all the same, somehow, and that we lived in America and should be thankful for that first and foremost.  Couldn't understand then why all the partisan opinions promoted one side as good/right and the other as bad/wrong.  It seemed so contrary to the basics being promoted at the time in elementary school - that being "The Golden Rule".  Remember thinking, didn't all those people go to elementary, they should have learned the same thing we did about The Rule.  If only we had a lot more of the Golden Rule these days...  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Barrel aged Narwhal to kick off HH.

Really good stuff.

Awesome. About to crack open a double carrot cake by burley oak. It sounds heavy but it’s not too heavy..just a sweet sour. I gotta save those barrel aged ones I got for a cooler day, just can’t do it after spending the day in the heat. 

• Like 2

:lmao:

PDS Tornado Watch 333 in effect until 9PM EDT June 23 2020

Hazards: 

Numerous long-track strong to violent tornadoes expected

Numerous significant wind gusts to 115 mph likely

Widespread large hail with scattered giant hail events to 5" in diameter likely 

Discussion: 

A well-developed and intense MCS/derecho continues to move through much of West Virginia AOA 65kts. The environment within the watch area is characterized by extreme instability (MLCAPE 7000-8000+ J/kg), impressive shear (EBWD 70-90 kts), high moisture content (Pwats of 2-2.25"+) and strong DCAPE (1200-1600+ J/kg). As the MCS moves into the mountains additional supercells are expected to rapidly develop by 19-20z along the foothills/Blue ridge ahead of the main line and move east through the DC and Baltimore metropolitan areas. With the extreme low-level shear also in place (effective SRH of 500-900 m2/s2) these cells will have a high risk of producing long-track and potenially violent tornadoes as well as giant, life-threatening hail. The greatest wind threat over this region will come with the main line of storms between 20-23z with high-end severe winds (possibly in excess of 115 mph). Storms will move out of the watch area by 00z.

Forecaster: George BM

Look at the 20z Mesoscale Analysis! Unreal.

20zMesoAnalysisMLCAPE.thumb.png.7985ef4224afa929c1f2d8edcdd5f36b.png

20zMesoAnalysisMLLR.thumb.png.96aac57eaef285c06fface257e22e11f.png

And just look at that sounding from the 20z special balloon launch!

25220189_skew_tlog_pdiagram623202020z.thumb.png.cd0d57b8ffb73e7e60adc7b417c67ab4.pngWoostorms.thumb.png.1bba85631e2df0f264a56f90653f97c7.png

•  
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Mrs. J's dinner looks fantastic!  But don't hate on grease, bro.  I used to work at one of those AYCE Chesapeake Bay Seafood House's back in the day, and I loved their fried cod!! 

I like a good fish n chips every so often. I just try like heck to stay away from eating fried foods in general. It just doesn't appeal to me much, and I know what its doing to my arteries lol. I would have to drink a lot more red wine!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, H2O said:

I've told this story(or maybe I haven't) before but it feels more important now than before.  My dad was a racist.  Said awful things about all minorities.  Growing up and being around him I heard it all.  And of course to want that love from a dad I more often than not went along with it.  Hell, I was a kid.  I didn't know any better.  So as you can assume, I started to think like him.

Fast forward to college and going out on my own.  Being exposed to different people, backgrounds, cultures showed that I was dead wrong.  I started to hate my dad for brainwashing me and being ignorant to the changing world around me.

When I had kids I made a promise.  I promised that hate would have no place in my house.  My kids would enjoy a life where everyone is welcome and treated equally and they won't look at how a person looks first.  Its whats inside.  I ended up having words with my dad once when he said stuff around my son when he was little.  Told him that if he was going to be like that then kiss his grandson goodbye.  He wouldn't see him any more or any grandkid.  

Line in the sand.  The hate ends with me.  The next generation can be the ones to Sheppard in better, less hateful times.

Racism is borne from ignorance and fear.  Whats to fear?  You put your pants on like I do.  You and everyone are human beings with the right to be free and prosper.  How hard is that to let happen?

I'm sorry that the reality is what it is for you and your family.  I pledge to do my part to make things a better place for everyone.

This is a great story, @H2O.  Obviously not saying that because your dad was a racist as you say, but because you grew up beyond that with your own experiences and realized how that was just not right.  I'm sorry to hear that you started hating your dad due to this, but I can understand (I've got my own crap family issues!!)...if that makes any sense.  It's good you are drawing a line in the sand based on your experience; I find myself doing that as well.  I've known people of various backgrounds, men, women, boys, girls, etc...and yes, you learn to like or dislike them based upon who they are, not because of some superficial aspect about them.  I grew up in a fairly mixed neighborhood in the '70s and '80s, and knew black and white people who would treat me well and were friends, and those who treated me like shit.  I didn't base that treatment on their race.  Assholes transcend any cultural or racial barrier.  As do people who are kind.  I've lost some friends whom I've found over the years were not willing to be accepting of people for who they are...they objected based on their religious views or racial views (even if they thought the person was "nice")...and I just simply cannot go along with that.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Mrs. J's dinner looks fantastic!  But don't hate on grease, bro.  I used to work at one of those AYCE Chesapeake Bay Seafood House's back in the day, and I loved their fried cod!! 

I love me some fish and chips. Have done baked versions and you are correct with a good piece of fried cod. I actually just ordered a air fryer to see if I can do a healthier version. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic