Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Banter 2020

George BM

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

An actual live ceremony? We have been holding out for that at my son's school...Hogan may have given us the cover we need yesterday.

Congrats to you and your oldest - glad you all could have something normal.

Yes. We went to his school and they held a ceremony outdoors. He got to walk to the music, receive his fake diploma(already had the real one) hear his name called and a short bio, and got some gifts and photos taken of him and with family. 

was able to get both grandmas to attend but sadly not his granddad who passed away in March. 

all in all I was so happy he got even this small celebration. 

I hope something can be done for yours and they get a chance to have a formal ceremony. Congrats to you and yours as well!!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Hi everyone! I'm looking to see if anyone here would like to be interviewed for a fun little story I'm working on with the Capital Weather Gang... some of my Twitter networking has paid off. 

The story is about weather hobbyists and tools/tips you have to get the weather, how your friends/colleagues have come to know you as the "weather guy/girl." If anyone is interested, shoot me a private message or reply to this message and we'll try and work something out. I've already talked to a couple meteorologists so I'm looking for non-degreed folk of any age/background.

If you need more guinea pigs I'll volunteer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Do you have a fan-aspirated shield or not?  If yes, check to make sure that your fan didn't die.  If not, just try to keep it as clean as possible and free of any obstructions.  The temperatures are meant to be taken in a sunny area, but if the radiation shield isn't doing its job you could move it.

Thanks.  No fan-aspirated shield (I've got the vantage vue), but I'll give it a good cleaning to see if that will help.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’ve got a number of guinea pigs at this point but if the story ends up feeling like it’s missing the classic H20 wit, I’ll be sure to get back to you.

All you would need is one of his famous snow maps :snowing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Cool.  I took the survey and basically said that they shouldn't dumb anything down for the sake of those that won't educate themselves.  I also said that they should bring back the "traveler's advisory."  ^_^

Haha!  I actually remember the days of the old "traveler's advisory", ranging from icy conditions to a light/moderate snow event.  Personally, I think the current "advisory" that they use is fine for the most part, it has a pretty wide latitude which I think is good.  Including criteria for rush hour impacts.  It essentially means an alert for a low to moderate impact event.

One thing I'm glad they got rid of a few years ago was the "heavy snow warning", never seemed to quite fit in and was a bit confusing why that would be different from a "winter storm warning"...which itself already covers heavy snow (among other things).  I swear sometime I once saw a map that had some areas with a heavy snow warning, others with a winter storm warning...for the same event and snow amounts (though winds may have been more the criteria for that).

10 hours ago, H2O said:

I got to see my oldest kid graduate from his high school yesterday.  I feel bad for all the 2020 seniors who got screwed out of their normal graduation but so glad schools did what they could to give them something 

I'm a proud dad today.  

Congrats on your oldest kid graduating!  Yeah, given the times I know most schools have not conducted "live" ceremonies but at least many tried to do something.  My daughter graduates next year, guess it remains to be seen how that will work out by then.  I don't even know if/when they'll attend school in person come September or how they will accommodate that.

But regardless, I'll just feel that much older!!  Now GTF off my damned lawn! :lol:

3 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Super happy with how this turned out and I hope to get some of you all in the next one. It is shocking how friendly this community is and I have a lot of you to thank for keeping me interested in the weather. :hug:

Woohoo! Good job!

• Like 1

Super happy with how this turned out and I hope to get some of you all in the next one. It is shocking how friendly this community is and I have a lot of you to thank for keeping me interested in the weather. :hug:

Shoot. Didn't realize the deadline had past. :(

I'm about to read your story. :) 

That was a great read and, more interestingly, it makes me consider opening a twitter account.  Well done!

• Like 1

So went to our first horse show since March today. Absolutely beautiful weather, and some nice outside time. Several people wore masks, those who did not I just kept my distance. Pretty easy to do at this farm as it is very spread out. The youngest Miss J got her braces put on this morning and in hind sight maybe should have taken it easy. She rode well but did admit that her mouth was bothering her quite a lot. Pulled out the condensed chicken noodle soup for this job and a bowl of fresh made pudding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely get outside as much as possible..good for everyone!

Remember the chicken and stars condensed soup ....the chicken was microscopic and all stars lol. My mother fed us that every other night in the 80s ( it was el cheapo). The other nights we ate macaroni and cheese 

Totally remember that! My mom would make it with grilled cheese and would dip it into the soup. Although I always preferred the fat noodles over the stars, something about being able to slurp them up.

I usually am a soup snob but I know when the good old condensed salty canned chicken soup is needed. The soup helped her gums relax from the braces so will need to keep a couple of cans on hand for adjustments. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That was a great read and, more interestingly, it makes me consider opening a twitter account.  Well done!

you should. i know that parts of twitter can be a cesspool, much like facebook, but there are so many knowledgeable weather folks to follow. you can really narrow your feed to however you want it to be by just following the right people. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If you do you can find this pink haired lady.

Also if you like writers check out @jnjoneswriter. Mr. J writes flash fiction and has won many awards for it. It is dark but also funny. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic