Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

My Davis weather station has developed an annoying habit of reading 4-5 degrees to warm when it gets in direct sunlight during peak sun angle season (~April-September).  Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

An umbrella

@losetoa6

I have a problem and wondered if I could get your expertise.

There’s a strong electric smell in one of our rooms upstairs that has two outlets and an overhead light. There is a digital alarm clock plugged into one outlet which appears fine. In the other outlet is a timer that turns on three 4 watt window candles in the evening. The timer covers the outlet and when I unplugged it, there is a light dusting of black soot on the back and sides of the timer. Nothing on the outlet. I turned off the power, pulled the outlet out of the box without disconnecting it, and am airing out the room. I’ll leave the outlets free of any connections, turn the power back on shortly, and see if the smell returns.  My hope is that the timer has gone bad and not the outlet.

If it’s not the timer, will the outlet still produce the smell if nothing is plugged in? And if it’s the outlet, is it something as simple as switching out the outlet?

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Unplugging everything on that circuit was the right thing to do that way you eliminate bad cords or devices . Get a bright flash light and look real close at the wires that connect to the receptacle.  Make sure they don't look corroded or black or greenish . Also if they are connected to screws on the side of the outlet make sure they are tight . You won't get shocked using a regular rubber handed screwdriver.  I'd plug another device in the outlet in question like a lamp to see if it does it again . Also..if it's a metal box the receptacle is in it might have touched against it...if so put electrical tape around sides of receptacle.  I'd install a new receptacle if it were me . I have confidence u can do it .:lightning:

Lol. Thanks. I have turned back on the power and hopefully there’s no more smell. One thing I noticed is that the breaker to turn off that room is the breaker (15 amps) for the original 3 rooms upstairs. That seems like a lot to me, but I’m an electrical dummy. Also, I’m not sure if you remember my house or even went upstairs (though I do remember you at the party working hard for that one girl...)

Hi everyone! I'm looking to see if anyone here would like to be interviewed for a fun little story I'm working on with the Capital Weather Gang... some of my Twitter networking has paid off. 

The story is about weather hobbyists and tools/tips you have to get the weather, how your friends/colleagues have come to know you as the "weather guy/girl." If anyone is interested, shoot me a private message or reply to this message and we'll try and work something out. I've already talked to a couple meteorologists so I'm looking for non-degreed folk of any age/background.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

My Davis weather station has developed an annoying habit of reading 4-5 degrees too warm when it gets in direct sunlight during peak sun angle season (~April-September).  Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

Do you have a fan-aspirated shield or not?  If yes, check to make sure that your fan didn't die.  If not, just try to keep it as clean as possible and free of any obstructions.  The temperatures are meant to be taken in a sunny area, but if the radiation shield isn't doing its job you could move it.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

83 here currently with a nice breeze. Definitely on the humid side, but not terrible out.

Sprinkler running, despite some decent rain in the forecast. Just in case. My yard is due to get screwed. B)

Man is it gonna be warm and disgusting tonight.. I love it!

If you're right next to the water in the Chesapeake bay, you might not get below the upper 70s tonight because the water temps are around 75 and warming quick.

I'd imagine with the potential sustained heat pattern developing around June 20th, as the ULL decays over the southerly regions, the water temps rise near the mid 80s by mid July. Insane warmth last year in those waters. Some isolated spots didn't get below the mid 80s at one time during the July heatwave because the damn waters were incredibly warm!

10 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Man is it gonna be warm and disgusting tonight.. I love it!

If you're right next to the water in the Chesapeake bay, you might not get below the upper 70s tonight because the water temps are around 75 and warming quick.

I'd imagine with the potential sustained heat pattern developing around June 20th, as the ULL decays over the southerly regions, the water temps rise near the mid 80s by mid July. Insane warmth last year in those waters. Some isolated spots didn't get below the mid 80s at one time during the July heatwave because the damn waters were incredibly warm!

Maybe it will be a gross jellyfish year? Egh...

On 6/8/2020 at 5:12 PM, C.A.P.E. said:

Happy hour!

Drinking a Jailbreak UDDER CHOCOLATE chocolate milk stout.

How is that? Never had that one. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

83 here currently with a nice breeze. Definitely on the humid side, but not terrible out.

Sprinkler running, despite some decent rain in the forecast. Just in case. My yard is due to get screwed. B)

Ugh it’s been terrible here East side Baltimore county it got to around 90 and humidity has been unbearable. Dew point was 74 at one point. I went to a local tap house that is doing outdoor dining to have a beer but I couldn’t make it to a 2nd too damn hot. So in back home drinking Duclaw patriarchy oat milk imperial stout 

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

It was very good, but low abv, so generally not my thing lol.

I had my DFH WWS yesterday though.:D

Nice I’ll have to check it out. Jailbreak brewery is only about 25-30 mins from me. And I guess they’ll be open Friday now lol. I’ve been drinking some crazy stuff of late but nothing more than 10%. I’ll get to the liquor store to get some high gravity stuff sooner or later. 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Nice I’ll have to check it out. Jailbreak brewery is only about 25-30 mins from me. And I guess they’ll be open Friday now lol. I’ve been drinking some crazy stuff of late but nothing more than 10%. I’ll get to the liquor store to get some high gravity stuff sooner or later. 

Yeah that choco milk stout was 5.5%. Those are never very high abv, but very good nonetheless.

I am much more into the imperial stouts.

I got to see my oldest kid graduate from his high school yesterday.  I feel bad for all the 2020 seniors who got screwed out of their normal graduation but so glad schools did what they could to give them something 

I'm a proud dad today.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I got to see my oldest kid graduate from his high school yesterday.  I feel bad for all the 2020 seniors who got screwed out of their normal graduation but so glad schools did what they could to give them something 

I'm a proud dad today.  

An actual live ceremony? We have been holding out for that at my son's school...Hogan may have given us the cover we need yesterday.

Congrats to you and your oldest - glad you all could have something normal.

19 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Hi everyone! I'm looking to see if anyone here would like to be interviewed for a fun little story I'm working on with the Capital Weather Gang... some of my Twitter networking has paid off. 

The story is about weather hobbyists and tools/tips you have to get the weather, how your friends/colleagues have come to know you as the "weather guy/girl." If anyone is interested, shoot me a private message or reply to this message and we'll try and work something out. I've already talked to a couple meteorologists so I'm looking for non-degreed folk of any age/background.

would love too if you still need it!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic