Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

9 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The year's first organized line of strong storms is approaching my area tonight.  I didn't think they'd sag far enough south, but it may happen.

That first line did crap out just before reaching me.  The second line mostly passed south.  However, more rain filled in through this morning and many places have received 1+".  I am well over an inch now.  Once again, there has been little to no thunder.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

1.83" here so far this morning.  That's great, but I sure would love some good ol' noisy thunderstorms.  I've had about 6 inches of rain this month, but barely any thunder at all.  There is zero thunder this morning.

2020 failing to even produce garden variety thunderstorms and opting for cold stratiform rain. Classic!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

The details are a bit different depending on what guidance you look at, but there is pretty good ensemble support for extended heat as we close out June and head into July.  Pattern is amped. EPS below.

548318462_ScreenShot2020-06-22at3_46_14PM.thumb.png.74e7ac84496d17b226fbe2a54dc9246f.png

I was going to mention this in the medium range thread tonight, but you beat me to it.

Looks like we head into a period of -EPO/-PNA, which will help flex a ridge across the Central/Eastern US. How long it lasts and how significant the heat will be is obviously still TBD... But it looks like a good chance we'll add to the 90+ total before entering July. As you mention, there is good ENS.

Obviously wouldn't take an OP run at face value this far out...But the 18z GFS from yesterday was on the more extreme side, with 11 consecutive days of 90+ potential starting Friday, with even a day at 100. On the flip side, the 18z GFS today had only 4 consecutive days with around 90+ potential, with daily t'storm potential keeping things in check.

• Like 1

I got way more rain than was forecast, surprising. It was a downpour for nearly 5 hours and similar to the sunny weather we had reminded me of August 11 2012. I heard one rumble and that was it, "strong thunderstorms" were forecast and I'm not even getting garden variety. The PMX engine for TWN thinks a 40 dbz echo on CAM = strong thunderstorm :lol:.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It has certainly not been a humid met summer so far.  Our dew is in the 50s again today.  There have been several days with humid dews in western Iowa and pleasant dews in eastern Iowa.

Yeah I'm digging it.  As I've gotten older I've grown less fond of the humidity on a daily basis anyway.  Still appreciate the extreme 80 degree events, and of course love the humidity when there's a decent convective setup.  Other than that it can stay in the 50s all summer as far as I'm concerned lol. 

Corn crops around here are looking fantastic.  Most fields are waste/stomach high now, with only some areas of retardation where there was standing water back in May/early June.  As long as we get regular moisture the rest of the growing season it should be an excellent crop around these parts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I'm digging it.  As I've gotten older I've grown less fond of the humidity on a daily basis anyway.  Still appreciate the extreme 80 degree events, and of course love the humidity when there's a decent convective setup.  Other than that it can stay in the 50s all summer as far as I'm concerned lol. 

Corn crops around here are looking fantastic.  Most fields are waste/stomach high now, with only some areas of retardation where there was standing water back in May/early June.  As long as we get regular moisture the rest of the growing season it should be an excellent crop around these parts.

The corn here really took off with the rains of last weekend. Have almost doubled in height since then. I almost swear I can hear it growing at night.

• Like 1