Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

8 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Frost advisories for northern MN, WI and the UP. Can’t recall seeing them this time of year before, but I know it happens. Someone is going to bottom out in the 20s tonight. Keep us posted bo!

From NWS GRB:

.SHORT TERM...Tonight and Saturday
Issued at 238 PM CDT Fri Jun 12 2020

Quiet conditions return to the region over the course of the short
term forecast as high pressure establishes itself and temperatures
drop well below normal.

Skies will clear out tonight as the surface high drops southwards
over the Great lakes from Canada. CAA will be in full force
tonight, bringing well below normal temperatures and drier air.
Clear skies and light winds will allow temperatures to drop into
the lower 30s and possibly upper 20s, which has prompted the frost
advisory for northern Wisconsin tonight. It`s note worthy that
the high pressure center will be near 1033mb during this time,
which is near record, just a few days after portions of Wisconsin
observed record low pressure from the remnants of Cristobal.

Saturday, skies will remain mostly clear with cool and dry air in
place. Highs will head into the middle to upper 60s, possibly
getting back up into the lower 70s.
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Frost advisories for northern MN, WI and the UP. Can’t recall seeing them this time of year before, but I know it happens. Someone is going to bottom out in the 20s tonight. Keep us posted bo!

34 was the overnight low here.  There was a very light frost on my truck but none on the roof or the ground... coldest I could find in the UP was 25 degrees at Baraga Plains, Kearsarge 26, Kenton was 27 and Doe Lake, 29.  

Yesterday morning was 36, the high only topping out at 52 and with windy conditions all day, it was the perfect day to cut firewood.  No bugs!

One more chilly night in the 30's tonight will make it three in a row.  Pretty rare for mid June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you guys seen that message about the NWS Proposed Changes to the alerts that they use? Basically, getting rid of the "Advisory" messages, among others.

I only saw it on the NWS-LOT Page along with the link to the NWS Survey. I've filled it out but I wonder how many are for or against it.

Here's the link to the NWS Page (the link to the actual survey is on there).

https://www.weather.gov/lot/AdvisoryChange

3 hours ago, patrick05 said:

Have you guys seen that message about the NWS Proposed Changes to the alerts that they use? Basically, getting rid of the "Advisory" messages, among others.

I only saw it on the NWS-LOT Page along with the link to the NWS Survey. I've filled it out but I wonder how many are for or against it.

Here's the link to the NWS Page (the link to the actual survey is on there).

https://www.weather.gov/lot/AdvisoryChange

I attended a NOAA webinar a couple of weeks ago about the proposed changes. They are just going to put out statements such as, "2-4 inches of snow is expected overnight." I had to laugh because then Elliot Jacks of NOAA then said, "But we don't want to call them statements either. We don't want to put a name on them." What the hell are they if they aren't statements? I know that you can say they are just a forecast, but they are stating what's expected, so what's wrong with calling it a statement?

BTW, I don't mind advisories, but the public is sometimes easily confused by NWS products and if it can slow the confusion, go for it.

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I attended a NOAA webinar a couple of weeks ago about the proposed changes. They are just going to put out statements such as, "2-4 inches of snow is expected overnight." I had to laugh because then Elliot Jacks of NOAA then said, "But we don't want to call them statements either. We don't want to put a name on them." What the hell are they if they aren't statements? I know that you can say they are just a forecast, but they are stating what's expected, so what's wrong with calling it a statement?

BTW, I don't mind advisories, but the public is sometimes easily confused by NWS products and if it can slow the confusion, go for it.

I don't like the idea of eliminating advisories either. They have a purpose to raise awareness of heightened weather situations. I mean a freezing rain advisory can be significant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

I don't like the idea of eliminating advisories either. They have a purpose to raise awareness of heightened weather situations. I mean a freezing rain advisory can be significant. 

They have a survey out on this. Which I took. And my thoughts are the same. Doing away with the advisories is not something I would favor. Advisories are a true weenies saving grace when you are going to miss a 6-12" snowstorm by  50 miles and WSWarning. You can soothe yourself with a WWA despite the fact your looking at a DAB.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

zzzzzzzz

No guarantees but given how active the hurricane season looks to be and what may be the overall longwave pattern later in summer, would not be surprised if we see another remnant tropical system or two move through the region.  

But let's get some severe threats first.  

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, Stebo said:

It's ridiculous and I'm sure the fool amateur weather pages that spread fake news and 16 Day GFS plots which transition into the public mocking meteorogists for being "wrong" is behind this proposed change.  I voted strongly against it.

Impressively chilly morning for mid June in Southeast Michigan today. 46 at DTW missed the record low by 4° (however if that was tomorrow it would be the record low). But most of the more outlying areas in Southeast Michigan fell to 38 to 42゚ I actually wonder if some of the high elevations of the northern suburbs had a brief light frost?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Impressively chilly morning for mid June in Southeast Michigan today. 46 at DTW missed the record low by 4° (however if that was tomorrow it would be the record low). But most of the more outlying areas in Southeast Michigan fell to 38 to 42゚ I actually wonder if some of the high elevations of the northern suburbs had a brief light frost?

Back-to-back 43F mornings here. Pretty chilly for mid-June but the sun angle means a very quick rebound unlike autumn conditions. Definitely not looking forward to 90+ later this week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Back-to-back 43F mornings here. Pretty chilly for mid-June but the sun angle means a very quick rebound unlike autumn conditions. Definitely not looking forward to 90+ later this week.

Im still in Lansing, and my PAC has heat advisory levels. (3 days with 90+). Be interesting to see if it comes to fruition or not.