• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

Euro seems to have the opposite problem compared to last year regarding temps.  Last year it was too hot with temps, especially over areas that hadn't had much rain.  This year it's under-doing temps by 5-8 degrees in many cases.  Was off by almost 10 degrees over northwest Iowa today in areas that hit 100.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Euro seems to have the opposite problem compared to last year regarding temps.  Last year it was too hot with temps, especially over areas that hadn't had much rain.  This year it's under-doing temps by 5-8 degrees in many cases.  Was off by almost 10 degrees over northwest Iowa today in areas that hit 100.

I've noticed high temperatures can be kind of finicky based on when and where high dewpoints are able to mix up into the dry capping layer above.  Sure enough, wherever the model was over-doing surface dewpoints, temperatures over-performed.  It had dewpoints up in the mid-70s there.  If that had verified the temp wouldn't have hit 100.  Only in those super-extreme July heatwaves like 1995 do you get the triple-digit heat along with extreme humidity.  In a normal pattern it's usually one or the other.

Now that it's June 3rd it is now the 160th anniversary of the great Camanche tornado of 1860.  The most infamous tor in DVN's cwa to be sure, and one of the deadliest tornadoes in US history.  Hard to believe something like this happened in this area as almost all tors in this area are birdfart EF1 one-scan spin-up wonders.  

• Thanks 1

So its pretty funny. Not sure if I told anyone this or not. But my next door neighbor is a photographer and storm chaser. She chases tornadoes all over the midwest. It was destiny to move next door to someone that loves the weather as much as I do. We talk about it all the time. A few pictures from her from tonights storm. Golf ball size hail moved through earlier.

101697017_10158242763038903_824854290165

101608465_10158242763233903_527358284429

102728879_10158242763523903_348229991669

102673561_10158242764038903_329031085417

102673561_10158242764038903_329031085417

• Like 12

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

We're under a severe warning, and we're not even in the marginal lol.  About to get dumped on yet again.

Meanwhile, two lines of storms both crapped out on/skipped over me overnight, leaving me with only 0.19" of rain.  It's not our year, apparently.

• Sad 1

Had a pretty sweet thunderstorm roll through the area last night. I'm disappointed I couldn't get out and grab some nice shots as I was busy with some work. There was frequent cloud to cloud lightning. Some areas reported nickel sized hail too. Had a few non-severe thunderstorms early this morning too. 

3 hours ago, Baum said:

off topic. Why are the cicada's out. My hostas are covered. I didn't think this was the year?

They want in on the madness of 2020?  

In all seriousness, aren't there certain cicadas that are around yearly?  Have you noticed them before?  

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

They want in on the madness of 2020?  

In all seriousness, aren't there certain cicadas that are around yearly?  Have you noticed them before?  

no this isn't that. These are the typical 17 year. I saw a posting on twitter showing they are signs they will show 4 years early in N. Ill/NW Ind.

EZW9ellWsAEjrlO.jpeg

EZbCA4UXgAAnQ2E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Meanwhile, two lines of storms both crapped out on/skipped over me overnight, leaving me with only 0.19" of rain.  It's not our year, apparently.

o rly...

On 4/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, hawkeye_wx said:

Large hail (golfball+) is hitting the northeast side of Cedar Rapids.  Another cell is about to hit me.  I sure hope we don't get that shit.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, hawkeye_wx said:

I just experienced two rounds of hail up to 5/8" diameter.  It was fun to see that again because we just don't get much hail here and rarely larger than pea size.  We got lucky as the two large hail cores missed just north and south.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Finished with 0.87" here.  

2024 will certainly be an exciting year.  An even better total eclipse than 2017, and then the main batch of 17-year cicadas arriving.  

EDIT:  Nice moisture convergence over Iowa.  Mid 70 dews over southeast Iowa, whilst mid 40s up in the north-central part of the state.

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

o rly...

A few minutes of hail was fun to watch, but what I want is heavy rain (with some nice lightning/thunder).  I love heavy rain as much as I love heavy snow.  The storm that dropped that hail on April 7th only dropped 0.09" of rain.  At some point this season we'll get a real heavy downpour that lasts more than a few minutes, but it just hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

I recorded 3.25” last night and my folks just to my north recorded almost 4”. 2020 continues to be a disaster in more ways than one, Several farm fields remain unplanted around here. The remnants of Cristobal should they track through the area could be devastating. 

22 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A few minutes of hail was fun to watch, but what I want is heavy rain (with some nice lightning/thunder).  I love heavy rain as much as I love heavy snow.  The storm that dropped that hail on April 7th only dropped 0.09" of rain.  At some point this season we'll get a real heavy downpour that lasts more than a few minutes, but it just hasn't happened yet.

I don't think you'd want 5 inches of soaking stratiform rain like we got the Sunday after Mother's Day this year....I wouldn't wish flooding with no thunder/lightning on my worst weather enemy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

I don't think you'd want 5 inches of soaking stratiform rain like we got the Sunday after Mother's Day this year....I wouldn't wish flooding with no thunder/lightning on my worst weather enemy.

Yeah, I'm not looking for 5" of rain or damaging hail or a tornado.  A solid thunderstorm that drops 1" of rain would be great.