Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Happening when the power is out sounds like the pump isn't working and maybe it's backing up. Days like today, could be rainwater overwhelming it (which shouldn't happen, rainwater isn't supposed to go into sewage systems), or if you lost power for a minute maybe the pump needs to be reset or something?

There’s an alarm on the pump not going off.  So strange.  I recently lost my husband so this is all new to me although he tried to teach me. My son is just like him though and I’m a tenant.  I will jump up and down til resolved.  I’m really good at that!  

1 minute ago, Lady Di said:

There’s an alarm on the pump not going off.  So strange.  I recently lost my husband so this is all new to me although he tried to teach me. My son is just like him though and I’m a tenant.  I will jump up and down til resolved.  I’m really good at that!  

Lol... Well good luck! And I'm sorry about your husband passing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuniorTT said:

7.94" here in Nazareth, PA.  Still raining but finally ramping down in the last 5 min.

8.02" storm total, glad to be on top of a hill.  Feel bad for those downhill/downstream.  Can't remember the last time the scanner was this active.  A lot of people dealing with heartaches and headaches.  Help your neighbors, help a stranger, and be safe!!

• Like 1

Have been listening to KYW and they got some clarification on the Schuylkill River - it is expected to possibly crest near 19ft upstream and and at about 13.5ft in the city.  They also mentioned there were some 110 water rescues in Montco alone.  Also obvious flooding (that seems to happen a lot) in Delco from the Darby Creek.

The Inquirer had a blip from witnesses who saw the tornado near Ocean City - https://www.inquirer.com/weather/live/hurricane-isaias-philadelphia-tropical-storm-tornado-warning-weather-20200804.html#card-1694688995

Witnesses say tornado near Ocean City came close to a day-care center

Witnesses in Marmora, Upper Township, just inland from Ocean City, reported seeing a debris-filled tornado split into two spouts that ripped up roofs and downed power lines, and skirted along Route 9, overturning tractor-trailers at the Liberty Coca Cola Beverage distribution center.

They said it was spinning with trees branches and other debris and also came through the parking lot of a nearby day care center, Tomorrow’s World, on Tuckahoe Road. The owner gathered the children into the bathroom for safety, said Jaime Bannon, whose two grandchildren, ages 1 and 5, were there.

Route 9 in Marmora where witnesses say they saw a tornado.
David Maialetti / Staff photographer
Route 9 in Marmora where witnesses say they saw a tornado.

Bannon was driving with her friend Jill Moran when they saw the tornado as they got off the Parkway onto Route 9 at Exit 25, she said. “It was pretty intense,” she said. “I went into panic mode.” She said cars were swerving to turn around away from the scene, and “you could see the line it came through.”

”There was damage all through,” she said. “I couldn’t believe any of it.” Bannon said the tornado appeared to split in two.”

I think what happened, was it was one big one and split into two,” she said. “There’s trees down.”At the Coca Cola plant, she said, “There’s trailers flipped over,” and some windshields broken.

Tina Casey, who works at the nearby Action Supply, said the tornado passed close by three commercial buildings she manages, but damage was limited to some signs. “It’s just crazy down here,” she said.

She said the Coca Cola plant and a nearby grave marker business, Glory Road Memorials, were in the direct path. “I have not heard of any injuries so far, thank the Lord,” she said.

— Amy S. Rosenberg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Just seeing this.  So sorry to hear about your hubby. :(  I know my dad died when I was 12 and my mom managed with me and my 2 younger sisters.  She made sure that we were handy with the tools (and she even had a label-maker where she put her name on her screw drivers and hammers too)! :lol:

Mt. Holly just issued warnings - for Schuylkill @ Norristown for the 18ft and Philadelphia for 13.5ft.  Schuylkill is at 11.67ft and rising and Wissahickon is going back up and at 7.18ft (both Philly readings as of 3 pm).

The falls at 3 pm.  KYW also reporting the Schuylkill River trail along the banks near 24th St. is flooding.

schuylkill-3pm-USGS.01474500.121540.00065..20200728.20200804..0..png

wissahicon-3pm-08042020.png

usgs-schuylkill-3pm-01474500_15-08042020.jpg

• Like 1

Final Hurricane Local Statement from Mt. Holly -

Hurricane Local Statement

Tropical Storm Isaias Local Statement Advisory Number 31
DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ070-071-101>106-050500-

Tropical Storm Isaias Local Statement Advisory Number 31
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ  AL092020
510 PM EDT Tue Aug 4 2020

This product covers NEW JERSEY...DELAWARE...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST MARYLAND

**Tropical Storm Isaias Continues to Depart**

NEW INFORMATION
---------------

* CHANGES TO WATCHES AND WARNINGS:
    - All watches and warnings have been canceled

* CURRENT WATCHES AND WARNINGS:
    - None

* STORM INFORMATION:
    - About 230 miles north of Atlantic City NJ or about 260 miles
      north-northeast of Dover DE
    - 42.7N 74.2W
    - Storm Intensity 65 mph
    - Movement North-northeast or 20 degrees at 40 mph

SITUATION OVERVIEW
------------------

Tropical Storm Isaias is near the Hudson Valley in New York and
continues to lift to the northeast this evening. Primary threats have
ended, but flooding continues across portions of eastern Pennsylvania
and western New Jersey.

POTENTIAL IMPACTS
-----------------

* FLOODING RAIN:
Little to no additional impacts are anticipated at this time across
NEW JERSEY...DELAWARE...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST
MARYLAND.

* WIND:
Little to no additional impacts are anticipated at this time across
NEW JERSEY...DELAWARE...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST
MARYLAND.

* TORNADOES:
Little to no impacts are anticipated at this time across NEW
JERSEY...DELAWARE...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEAST MARYLAND.

* SURGE:
Little to no additional surge impacts expected.

Elsewhere across NEW JERSEY...DELAWARE...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA
AND NORTHEAST MARYLAND, little to no impact is anticipated.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS
----------------------------------

* OTHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION:
If your home or shelter was damaged, be alert to the smell of gas
leaks and be cautious around electrical wiring, broken glass, jagged
metal and wood, and protruding nails and screws.

Do not attempt to return to evacuated areas until local authorities
give the all clear. Allow time for officials to inspect bridges and
overpasses and to mark washed-out roads.

Do not go up on your roof until the weather conditions are safe.
Ladders can be slippery in the rain and unexpected wind gusts can blow
you off the roof.

When clearing out fallen trees, be careful with chainsaws and axes.
Always wear protective gear and keep others at a safe distance.
Leaning trees and those which have fallen on roofs or power lines can
be especially dangerous. If you are not in good health or unsure
about what you are doing, have someone with tree cutting experience
do the job. Never cut trees without a partner.

If using a generator, avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by following
instructions provided by the manufacturer. Operate your generator in
a well-ventilated space outside of your living area and away from
open doors and windows.

Be alert for any lingering wind gusts which could take down weakened
trees and/or power lines, collapse damaged structures, or cause flying
debris.

Be alert for potential flooding from rising rivers and streams which
may have yet to crest. Remain informed of the latest river forecasts
and heed any flood watches and warnings.

Be alert for flooded roads which could be compromised or littered
with debris. Avoid travel until water levels subside and roads have
been cleared. Do not drive through places where flood waters cover
the road. Turn around, don`t drown!

* ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION:
- For information on appropriate preparations see ready.gov
- For information on creating an emergency plan see getagameplan.org
- For additional disaster preparedness information see redcross.org

NEXT UPDATE
-----------

As it pertains to this event...this will be the last local statement
issued by the National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ regarding
the effects of tropical cyclone hazards upon the area.

$$

MPS

5pm-151346_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Well finally made it to 80 here today as a high just after 5 pm and currently 77 with dp 71. My low today (during the storm) was 69).

Latest position (still a Tropical Storm and now down to a strength of 50 mph but still moving at 40 mph and expected to be post-tropical in 12 hours and extra-tropical in 24 hours) -

235754_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Do we have final rain totals and wind peak wind gusts from the National Weather Service yet?

I found them here:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXPNSPHI&wfo=phi

The latest (2) are wind reports, if you go back (older) to the 3rd most recent, it's the latest rainfall report.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the PNS there was an interesting gradient for both precip and winds.  Seems further east got the wind and further west got the rain with Philly metro sortof in the middle of that.  Isaias is now post-tropical and the last advisory was issued "early" for 5 am -

WTNT34 KNHC 050837
TCPAT4

BULLETIN
Post-Tropical Cyclone Isaias Advisory Number  33
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092020
500 AM EDT Wed Aug 05 2020

...RAIN AND GUSTY WINDS CONTINUE TO SPREAD OVER EASTERN QUEBEC...
...THIS IS THE LAST NHC ADVISORY...

SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...47.5N 71.8W
ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM NNW OF QUEBEC CITY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1000 MB...29.53 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
There are no coastal watches or warnings in effect.

DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
----------------------
At 500 AM EDT (0900 UTC), the center of Post-Tropical Cyclone Isaias
was located near latitude 47.5 North, longitude 71.8 West. The
post-tropical cyclone is moving toward the north-northeast near 28
mph (44 km/h), and this general motion is expected with a decrease
in forward speed through tonight.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher gusts.
Weakening is expected, and the winds are expected to drop below
tropical-storm force this morning.  The post-tropical cyclone is
expected to dissipate over southeastern Canada on Thursday.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140 miles (220 km) 
to the northeast and east of the center primarily over and near 
the St. Lawrence River. 

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1000 mb (29.53 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
WIND:  Gale-force winds will continue over and near the St. 
Lawrence River this morning. Gale-force wind gusts are possible 
elsewhere over southeastern Quebec today.  See products issued by 
Environment Canada for more information.

RAINFALL: Rainfall accumulations of 1 to 3 inches are expected along
and near the track of Isaias across southern Quebec.

Even though the rainfall has ended, scattered minor to moderate and
isolated major river flooding is ongoing across portions of the
Mid-Atlantic with most rivers expected to fall below flood stage
by later today.

SURF:  Swells generated by Isaias will affect the coast of the
Northeast United States through this morning. These swells are
likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Please consult products from your local weather office.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
This is the last public advisory issued by the National Hurricane
Center on this system.  Additional information on the post-tropical 
cyclone can be found in products issued by the Canadian Hurricane 
Center at https://weather.gc.ca/hurricane/index_e.html

$$
Forecaster Brown

Meanwhile current temp here is 69 with a 68 dp (steaming up the windows).

055048_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Wow - This is what happens to Lincoln Drive when it floods (my 30+ year commute route). The street actually has a tributary of Monoshone creek underneath that flows out to the Wissahickon, that then flows into the Schuylkill.  It is all part of the Wissahickon Watershed (the southern end) that they have been working on for a number of years.  The Wissahickon eventually peaked above 10 ft (normal water height is less than 2.5 ft) - 

wissahickon_watershed.png

wissahickon-5am-08052020.png

^^^ I looked at the USGS site for the Schuylkill at the Art Museum and it looks like it peaked before midnight at a little over 13 ft.

I also noticed a water temperature chart showing the water temp. going from 84F on Monday to 74F this morning. While logical, I found that interesting for some reason, lol. 

USGS.01474500.121543.00010..20200729.20200805..0..gif.5d21a58a8a9094304fb866bcc8f0e49b.gif

19 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

18 ft. Wow - that might close west river drive, right?

Following up - here is what the Schuylkill looked like yesterday afternoon on the Kelly (East River) Drive, between Calumet (at the Falls Bridge) and Midvale :yikes: -

Last time I think it flooded like that was 2011 with Hurricane Irene (which tracked a bit further east than Isaias).  It was like that after Floyd in 1999 and after the great January torch job and melt a couple weeks or so after the 1996 blizzard (where you could see the high water marks that were left on the walls of snow along that same stretch, and could discover a large tree that got horizontally wedged towards the top of one of the stone arches of the Schuylkill River Viaduct train bridge that goes over the river). There was some flooding in that area in 2014 but not as bad as those previous instances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

^^^ I looked at the USGS site for the Schuylkill at the Art Museum and it looks like it peaked before midnight at a little over 13 ft.

I also noticed a water temperature chart showing the water temp. going from 84F on Monday to 74F this morning. While logical, I found that interesting for some reason, lol. 

USGS.01474500.121543.00010..20200729.20200805..0..gif.5d21a58a8a9094304fb866bcc8f0e49b.gif

That current coming from upstream chilled that water big time! :lol:  The discharge rate  jump was also astronomical. 

USGS.01474500.121539.00060..20200729.202

They were supposed to have started a big dredging project on the river along Boat House Row on June 1st and had been staging the equipment and pipelines for it, to run from Boat House row past the Art Museum/Water Works (over the dam) to some barges.  And that is what I think those un-tethered barges that shut everything down, might have been part of (although the barges appeared to have been north of I-676 and got jammed when the current pushed them south vs the below project design map).  The idea was to pump the silt through the pipes to the 2 container vessels and then push them further down river to a special disposal site.

200504-A-EO314-479.PNG

If not that, then the barges might have possibly been associated with the Chestnut St. Bridge repair/replacement.

35 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That current coming from upstream chilled that water big time! :lol:  The discharge rate  jump was also astronomical. 

USGS.01474500.121539.00060..20200729.202

They were supposed to have started a big dredging project on the river along Boat House Row on June 1st and had been staging the equipment and pipelines for it, to run from Boat House row past the Art Museum/Water Works (over the dam) to some barges.  And that is what I think those un-tethered barges that shut everything down, might have been part of (although the barges appeared to have been north of I-676 and got jammed when the current pushed them south vs the below project design map).  The idea was to pump the silt through the pipes to the 2 container vessels and then push them further down river to a special disposal site.

200504-A-EO314-479.PNG

If not that, then the barges might have possibly been associated with the Chestnut St. Bridge repair/replacement.

I'm thinking it's the crane barge and the two hopper barges for the dredging project, since in the pics I saw, that's what it looks like. I was wondering why it would be stuck under Vine st. which is above where it's ultimate destination is, but maybe they were using the crane barge to install the pipe along the river and were still upstream from Vine st.

11 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I'm thinking it's the crane barge and the two hopper barges for the dredging project, since in the pics I saw, that's what it looks like. I was wondering why it would be stuck under Vine st. which is above where it's ultimate destination is, but maybe they were using the crane barge to install the pipe along the river and were still upstream from Vine st.

Yeah - that seems to be the only reason why those might have been where it was - they were still installing the pipe and they hadn't gotten as far as the south side of the bridge yet.  I think if they had actually "started" June 1st, which meant removing all the docks along Boat House Row (which they did do) and then get the pipelines placed (in the midst of a pandemic and some wild weather like TS Fay).  So technically, they are only about 2 months into the functional part of the project.  With the flooding that is going on right now, they'll probably have to reassess how much needs to be dredged (hopefully nothing they put in place in the river got damaged, although the barges might be at this point)! :o