Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

On 7/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, RedSky said:

I have some antiquated crappy binoculars but it worked. Getting a good comet to view is much harder then getting a HECS even, there have been several i think only the last 25 years and typically they are positioned low on the horizon and don't achieve a significant enough low magnitude to be seen well with the naked eye.

I remember seeing Hale-Bopp in 97 clearly with the naked eye, but I was real young so it's a faint memory.  NEOWISE was very faintly visible to my naked eye but definitely no spectacle thats forsure.  Comets definitely seem to be hard to predict the magnitude of.  All depends on the amount of gas and dust being emitted and if it can even survive perihelion.  Plus they're only visible when they are not in earth's shadow and it's dark enough, kind of like satellites.  

What do you guys think about the first fatal shark attack in Maine happening yesterday.  Crazy we used to swim off the Cape all summer while I was growing up and now it's a death trap.  

Also I have some pics from bodyboarding Tropical Storm Fay in OCMD, I'll try to share them.  

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, wkd said:

What happened to the Politics forum?

53 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I remember seeing Hale-Bopp in 97 clearly with the naked eye, but I was real young so it's a faint memory.  NEOWISE was very faintly visible to my naked eye but definitely no spectacle thats forsure.  Comets definitely seem to be hard to predict the magnitude of.  All depends on the amount of gas and dust being emitted and if it can even survive perihelion.  Plus they're only visible when they are not in earth's shadow and it's dark enough, kind of like satellites.  

What do you guys think about the first fatal shark attack in Maine happening yesterday.  Crazy we used to swim off the Cape all summer while I was growing up and now it's a death trap.  

Also I have some pics from bodyboarding Tropical Storm Fay in OCMD, I'll try to share them.  

Hale-Bopp was the be-all end-all because it was still visible for a long time and at some point, both during the day and at night!  I still haven't been able to catch Neowise thanks to the damn continual streams of cirrus clouds (in addition to other days when it was rainy/overcast here).

Currently at 91 with dp 72 with some fair weather cumulus dotted all around.

Took some time this afternoon to throw a few clips together.  Gotta love my girlfriend for standing in the wind-driven rain, just as the winds switched west, to film for 30 minutes.  Only got a few on film, but holy crap I got so many amazing waves this day.  3+ second 6ft caverns just chugging along all day, it was so amazing that I stayed in the water for a total of 6 hours throughout the day.  Clean overhead conditions in July are a rare treat.  I only started bodyboarding in September 2018 during a hurricane swell, and have since bodyboarded Hurricane Humberto and Hurricane Lorenzo swells last fall in Manasquan, with 6-8ft conditions, so I felt comfortable paddling out in these peaky 6-7ft swells.  These clips were filmed during high tide, but as the tide dropped an the swell eased, the sets cleaned up and became more hollow and I got totally shacked outta my mind brahs.

2 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Took some time this afternoon to throw a few clips together.  Gotta love my girlfriend for standing in the wind-driven rain, just as the winds switched west, to film for 30 minutes.  Only got a few on film, but holy crap I got so many amazing waves this day.  3+ second 6ft caverns just chugging along all day, it was so amazing that I stayed in the water for a total of 6 hours throughout the day.  Clean overhead conditions in July are a rare treat.  I only started bodyboarding in September 2018 during a hurricane swell, and have since bodyboarded Hurricane Humberto and Hurricane Lorenzo swells last fall in Manasquan, with 6-8ft conditions, so I felt comfortable paddling out in these peaky 6-7ft swells.  These clips were filmed during high tide, but as the tide dropped an the swell eased, the sets cleaned up and became more hollow and I got totally shacked outta my mind brahs.

Nice job!  Was that before or after Fay passed by there?  I know the SSTs this summer have been pretty amazing although I expect Fay churned some colder water up at some point.

As an obs, I did just make it to 94 today but the humidity wasn't as severe as it could have been.  Currently 89 and partly cloudy.

Most locales recorded yet another 90+ day with the exception of Lehighton, KMPO, Andover, Sussex, KPTW (Pottstown) and of course East Nantmeal!!. KMQS did record a "cheap" rounded up 90.  Down in Sea Isle City a 2nd straight day of strong west winds killing the sea breeze leading to a high temp in SIC of 92.0 and the highest heat index we have seen all year on the Jersey Shore of 103.7 image.png.bc08f3434c14481773dd1223d7fc31a5.png

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Nice job!  Was that before or after Fay passed by there?  I know the SSTs this summer have been pretty amazing although I expect Fay churned some colder water up at some point.

As an obs, I did just make it to 94 today but the humidity wasn't as severe as it could have been.  Currently 89 and partly cloudy.

It was friday July 10th at around 1-2pm when those clips were filmed.  The wind went offshore (W) as the surface level center of circulation went north overhead/just offshore at 12pm.  Most of the time as a noreaster or low tracks north along the coast the winds on the southern half of the storm are in a westward orientation, which is ideal for surfing in the mid-atlantic.  Most good swells come after a coastal storm, although we do get the occasional long period ground swell from hurricanes in the central North Atlantic.   Water was super warm prior but the storm definitely brought some upwelling, nothing out of the ordinary.  It was over 70f water temp.

5 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

It was friday July 10th at around 1-2pm when those clips were filmed.  The wind went offshore (W) as the surface level center of circulation went north overhead/just offshore at 12pm.  Most of the time as a noreaster or low tracks north along the coast the winds on the southern half of the storm are in a westward orientation, which is ideal for surfing in the mid-atlantic.  Most good swells come after a coastal storm, although we do get the occasional long period ground swell from hurricanes in the central North Atlantic.   Water was super warm prior but the storm definitely brought some upwelling, nothing out of the ordinary.  It was over 70f water temp.

Okay cool.  I know Fay was hugging the coast and I was grabbing some snapshots of true color vis. of TS Fay from COD's GOES-East site.  This one was from around 1:40 pm as a position reference for you!

COD-GOES-East-meso-meso1.truecolor.20200710.174031-over=map-bars-truecolor-07102020.gif

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

We were in Rehoboth. Was nasty until about 2PM then quickly began to clear out. By 4PM people were back on the beach. This was about the only picture my wife got before we were kicked off the beach. This was around 10AM that day. 

108921752_10221037255174850_3990762257191632279_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

We were in Rehoboth. Was nasty until about 2PM then quickly began to clear out. By 4PM people were back on the beach. This was about the only picture my wife got before we were kicked off the beach. This was around 10AM that day. 

108921752_10221037255174850_3990762257191632279_o.jpg

Nice pic, I was up in Dewey the week prior!  I checked the surf around 9-10am and it was treacherous onshore storm surge conditions.  Of course there was a young teenager in the water with his dad watching him.. recipe for disaster there.  I took a video, I should have included it.    

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1