• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Just missed 90 here today (got up to 80) and currently 83. Have been looking at some cool sea breeze movement on radar (pretty cool).  There appears to be 2 fronts - one the more "traditional" moving due west across South Jersey but at the same time, there is another (maybe trough or backdoor) coming down from the NE from the North Jersey vicinity. They were definitely 2 distinct waves and sortof  smashed into each other in Central Jersey.

First shot from ~8:00 pm and 2nd from ~8:30 pm.

radar-06292020.png

radar1-06292020.png

45 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Just missed 90 here today (got up to 80) and currently 83. Have been looking at some cool sea breeze movement on radar (pretty cool).  There appears to be 2 fronts - one the more "traditional" moving due west across South Jersey but at the same time, there is another (maybe trough or backdoor) coming down from the NE from the North Jersey vicinity. They were definitely 2 distinct waves and sortof  smashed into each other in Central Jersey.

First shot from ~8:00 pm and 2nd from ~8:30 pm.

radar-06292020.png

radar1-06292020.png

That's so cool. I love catching stuff like this on radar.

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

That's so cool. I love catching stuff like this on radar.

Wish the program had a function to save an animation of it (too much work to try to string the snapshots together to manually generate one although do-able).  The feature dropping down from the NE was moving pretty quickly (with an associated cell moving SE out of NY and into the open Atlantic) compared to the sea breeze front that was slowly drifting towards the NW and inland.

Another 0.13" today our 6th straight day of measurable here in Western Chester County PA. We look to finish June with 3.94" of rain only 0.10" below Western Chester County normal. With today's splits of 79.4/64.3 - we will finish with our warmest June since 2011 but only smack dab in the middle of June Temps with 64 warmer June month's and 63 cooler in the last 127 years....sounds like we just had a mighty normal June in the climate change catalog.....

23 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Wish the program had a function to save an animation of it (too much work to try to string the snapshots together to manually generate one although do-able).  The feature dropping down from the NE was moving pretty quickly (with an associated cell moving SE out of NY and into the open Atlantic) compared to the sea breeze front that was slowly drifting towards the NW and inland.

COD Meteorology has the capability to download animated gifs, but it runs in flash, which is apparently being discontinued at the end of this year in Chrome. I'm hoping they update before this happens.

17 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

COD Meteorology has the capability to download animated gifs, but it runs in flash, which is apparently being discontinued at the end of this year in Chrome. I'm hoping they update before this happens.

When I was posting in Hurricane threads the past couple years, I was generating animated gifs from their site.  Haven't tried using their regional maps to see if the are granular enough to pick up those sea breeze fronts.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

When I was posting in Hurricane threads the past couple years, I was generating animated gifs from their site.  Haven't tried using their regional maps to see if the are granular enough to pick up those sea breeze fronts.

They are, I looked at it the other day after you posted about it.

Got shafted again.  I only got 2.01" of rain for the entire month of June, (in contrast to last year's  4.57"), so am already starting July with a deficit.  I figured the only way we would have the progged above normal temps this summer was that the faucet had to turn off after a year of above normal precip, and apparently it did.  Had to pull the hose out this morning. 

Currently at 86 and partly cloudy so far today, with a tiny bit lower humidity than yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Got shafted again.  I only got 2.01" of rain for the entire month of June, (in contrast to last year's  4.57"), so am already starting July with a deficit.  I figured the only way we would have the progged above normal temps this summer was that the faucet had to turn off after a year of above normal precip, and apparently it did.  Had to pull the hose out this morning. 

Currently at 86 and partly cloudy so far today, with a tiny bit lower humidity than yesterday.

Yeah, I missed out on the showers this week too. Lawn is starting to look crispy. Putting the mower away until further notice.