Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

29 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

This was filmed during the second round of storms today.  Possible microburst?  Winds look straight line, so I doubt it was a tornado? Lots of tree damage around my house, this was filmed while I was up at my neighbors house.  

Wicked!  Looks like a wet microburst.  A very, very wet microburst.  lol   That's a lot of rain.  

Yesterday was the worst it had been in a long time. We got scary straight line winds in Upper Providence here. Wasn’t as strong as in other locations, though. My power was out from 12:30 to soon after midnight. I was happily surprised because the message said it would be back 12 PM on June 4.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BBasile said:

Here's the second and the better of the two storms today.  This storm really accelerated out of nowhere.  I almost missed it altogether.  

Capture+_2020-06-04-00-35-32.png

Great pic!!!  When I was watching the little complex on radar coming down from the NW, it looked like 3 discrete cells that eventually congealed into a blob, with the cells still somewhat intact.  One of the cells exhibited some rotation just before coming into Philly, which prompted the TOR.  I didn't have my little convertible laptop with my GR2Analyst up and running to see what the volumetric view looked like (and how high-topped the cells might have been), but need to get that going in case we get more pulse-type stuff today. 

It might also get interesting next week with Cristobal remnants getting ingested in a Low progged to form in the midwest.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

The overnight low inside was 77F, so I gave in and turned on the AC this morning.

Turned it on for the first time yesterday afternoon when the sun came out and became supper muggy. Probably keep it on till Sat-Sun when the drier/cooler air moves in and the windows open....

74F / DP 68 

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Great pic!!!  When I was watching the little complex on radar coming down from the NW, it looked like 3 discrete cells that eventually congealed into a blob, with the cells still somewhat intact.  One of the cells exhibited some rotation just before coming into Philly, which prompted the TOR.  I didn't have my little convertible laptop with my GR2Analyst up and running to see what the volumetric view looked like (and how high-topped the cells might have been), but need to get that going in case we get more pulse-type stuff today. 

It might also get interesting next week with Cristobal remnants getting ingested in a Low progged to form in the midwest.

Thanks.  I shot that photo only a couple miles from my house.  I headed out when the storm moved into Jersey figuring I had some time, but the southern part of that storm bowed out a bit and accelerated.  I couldn't believe how quickly it was on top of me.  I had to grab my camera and run out into the field before I missed it.  I think that storm may have been topped near 40 kft, but I may be mistaken.  

7 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Thanks.  I shot that photo only a couple miles from my house.  I headed out when the storm moved into Jersey figuring I had some time, but the southern part of that storm bowed out a bit and accelerated.  I couldn't believe how quickly it was on top of me.  I had to grab my camera and run out into the field before I missed it.  I think that storm may have been topped near 40 kft, but I may be mistaken.  

They were some of the quickest moving storms in recent memory. (I think I heard  60-65mph?) Imagine if they were slow moving w/the winds cranking for extended periods....would have been a real mess. 

82F / DP 66

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

They were some of the quickest moving storms in recent memory. (I think I heard  60-65mph?) Imagine if they were slow moving w/the winds cranking for extended periods....would have been a real mess. 

82F / DP 66

Yeah, the potential flooding as well.  I was listening to NOAA WR ahead of the derecho and I heard, "moving east at 90 mph".   It took a couple seconds before it registered.......wait, did I hear that right?  Had to go look for myself.  It's not very often you see those kind of speeds.  

PECO estimates power will be back Friday night at 11pm.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.  Got hit dead center on that derecho and then round 2 was even more intense imo.  It had higher wind gusts for a longer period of time and a lot more precipitation, caught me off guard as I wasn't paying much attention to radar.  A derecho and a microburst in one stationary location must be pretty rare.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Current temp here is now 86, which was my high for yesterday before the derecho came barreling through.  This time there's nothing on the radar in the area at the moment to rain the temperature down, so will see how high I'll go. 

Thinking today will be the first 90 in many locations.

20 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Since this movie was referenced yesterday, figured I'd share.   For anybody that wants a good laugh.  

That's hilarious.  I remember when they finally released the film to buy in the fall of 1996 (just before DVDs were eventually made available in 1997), and I had already put together a Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater with an AC-3 laserdisc player and bought that on laserdisc.  I used it, "Independence Day", "Jurassic Park", and "Forrest Gump" (all on laserdisc) as great "demo" movies for the sound (notably working out my subwoofer). :D That is definitely a :weenie: movie.

Well my temp has surpassed yesterday's high so far and am at 87.  Dp is in the upper 50s, so not the sauna of yesterday (just popped outside and definitely a difference), but the sun is strong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That's hilarious.  I remember when they finally released the film to buy in the fall of 1996 (just before DVDs were eventually made available in 1997), and I had already put together a Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater with an AC-3 laserdisc player and bought that on laserdisc.  I used it, "Independence Day", "Jurassic Park", and "Forrest Gump" (all on laserdisc) as great "demo" movies for the sound (notably working out my subwoofer). :D That is definitely a :weenie: movie.

Well my temp has surpassed yesterday's high so far and am at 87.  Dp is in the upper 50s, so not the sauna of yesterday (just popped outside and definitely a difference), but the sun is strong.

Yeah, I definitely laughed out loud a bunch.  

Laserdisc.  Wow.  lol  Independence Day and Jurassic Park must have sounded great.  

It's a total :weenie: movie.  And hilariously inaccurate.  "It's the cone of silence"..?  Seriously?  And they had the NWS help them out, too.  

I've actually lost a couple degrees.  Peaked at 88F, down to 86.  Dew point is down to 64.  

42 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Yeah, I definitely laughed out loud a bunch.  

Laserdisc.  Wow.  lol  Independence Day and Jurassic Park must have sounded great.  

It's a total :weenie: movie.  And hilariously inaccurate.  "It's the cone of silence"..?  Seriously?  And they had the NWS help them out, too.  

I've actually lost a couple degrees.  Peaked at 88F, down to 86.  Dew point is down to 64.  

Independence Day's blowing up of the Empire State building, Jurassic Park's T-Rex escape, Forrest Gump's Vietnam attack scene (made more dramatic by being preceded by Buffalo Springfield's "For what it's worth"), and just about any scene in Twister where a tornado appears (although the drive-in movie scene was probably the loudest). 

Also remember back then there wasn't really any "consumer high-speed internet", let alone any tablets or smart phones - and not even Windoze 98, so their sat connections were pretty cool-looking (although I expect relatively "slow"). If anything, I think it provided an alternative view of "scientists" beyond the stereotypical coke-bottle glassed nerds with a pocket protector and slide rule firmly attached to a pants belt, and brought some excitement (Hollywood style) to the field itself - and notably for chasers (I was this close >< to majoring in it and picked chemistry instead because at the time ('79), the job prospects were much better for chemists than for mets).

And Mother Nature's "conservation of the temperature in a search for equilibrium" meant your 86 became my 88 (the other "lost" degree went to someone else). :lol:

ETA - and I just clicked over to 89 so that little lone degree wanted to join his buddy over here.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1