• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Here at work in Trenton, sky got pitch black and we got some pretty decent wind gust. I would estimate in the 50 MPH range, will be interesting to see what the airport reports. All in all not too bad of a boomer and we still have power at the office. 95% chance it's out at my house lol

The HRRR brings a round 2 complex through SE PA in the 23z-00z time frame. Doesn't look nearly as potent as what just came through though. Other meso's are more potent this evening but none of them had this morning's complex as organized as it became. I'm a bit skeptical that the atmosphere can recover in time for another round of severe. However, another round of heavy showers with a rumble or 2 doesn't seem out of the question this evening.

5 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Neighbors weren't so lucky.  4 trees were uprooted within the same root ball. 

20200603_130128_copy_3024x1701.jpg

Wow.  Straight-line winds?

Sky is starting to clear here and the sun is trying to bust out.  The temp is also starting to creep back up.  Now at 68 and rising. Finished up with 0.27" from that round here. Most of the line is now off the coast of Jersey except the far southern portion that has been rolling through AC and south.  A mesonet in Brick Ocean, NJ reported an 87 mph wind gust. :o

Annotation 2020-06-03 134333.jpg

57 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

The HRRR brings a round 2 complex through SE PA in the 23z-00z time frame. Doesn't look nearly as potent as what just came through though. Other meso's are more potent this evening but none of them had this morning's complex as organized as it became. I'm a bit skeptical that the atmosphere can recover in time for another round of severe. However, another round of heavy showers with a rumble or 2 doesn't seem out of the question this evening.

Well, the sun is back blazing, the rain is steaming off of the streets, and the dew point never went anywhere.  Should recover some instability nicely, though it never really stabilized.  

Temp is 70F and climbing, dew point is at an oppressive 69F.  

Did end up with some trees down about a  mile away from my weather station which only recorded a max gust of 40 mph.  Must have been a nice little downburst.  

Sun fully out again, dare I say a rare two-storms in one day occurrence? Atmosphere is very stabilzed behind the MCS but western and central PA have exploded with their severe parameters. Lapse rates will need to recover because there is no buoyancy in the atmosphere right now. But I think with enough sun, we'll be able to boost CAPE and bring in some discrete cells later...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just heard Hurricane Schwartz on KYW and he mentioned some of the cells out in Central PA that may eventually migrate eastward to our are later tonight (not as a line but probably a bunch of discrete cells).

Temp continues to increase and it is now up to 75 here and mostly sunny.  Not sure if it will get back to the mid-80s by evening (like it was earlier today) but it is still juicy out there.

radar-kccx-06032020.png

Temp already back up to 82 and very soupy out. Severe parameters ramping up again. Will we see what we just saw this morning? Probably not. But some discrete cells capable of hail/wind definitely possible. Supercell Composite shooting up nicely. Will be interesting to see how destabilized we can get again...

Capture.thumb.JPG.963aff330be36f5ce3e96483984f0167.JPG

Worcester, PA was hit very hard with high winds. Little lightning, but straight line winds were brutal. I lost power before it really got going so no wind gust of meaning recorded.  Many many roads closed , trees down everywhere - some with wires. So many outages (137,000 out in Montgomery County) don't expect power back today - hopefully tomorrow. Rain was not impressive - just high winds. Storm came through about noon. Did not last long, but was intense for a few minutes. Back up to 79 now and sunny.

• Like 2

Norman, OK lofted a new Watch -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 244
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
350 PM EDT WED JUN 3 2020

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 244 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-011-017-023-027-029-035-037-041-043-045-067-071-075-077-
081-087-091-093-097-099-101-107-109-119-133-040200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0244.200603T1950Z-200604T0200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BERKS               BUCKS
CAMERON              CENTRE              CHESTER
CLINTON              COLUMBIA            CUMBERLAND
DAUPHIN              DELAWARE            JUNIATA
LANCASTER            LEBANON             LEHIGH
LYCOMING             MIFFLIN             MONTGOMERY
MONTOUR              NORTHUMBERLAND      PERRY
PHILADELPHIA         SCHUYLKILL          SNYDER
UNION                YORK
$$

20200603-nws-severethunderstormwatch-phi-severethunderstormwarning-severethunderstormwatch-phiarea7.PNG