Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

15 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

So many don’t understand hail occurs in summer

Many people in this part of the country have never experienced hail before. So they just associate anything frozen falling from the sky with winter. Plus they don’t follow the weather as closely as we do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Many people in this part of the country have never experienced hail before. So they just associate anything frozen falling from the sky with winter. Plus they don’t follow the weather as closely as we do.

cant hail occur with winter storms too? I remember it being mentioned here before...specifically with coastal storms that develop rapidly along the warm gulf stream waters and have convection associated with them. Weak tornadoes can occur with such storms too.

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Sorry but it really goes to show you how lacking our education system is in the sciences. They don't teach weather like they used to. I remember have discussions in grade school about the different types of precipitation. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

34 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Numerous trees and wires down throughout western and southern Brooklyn 

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

went to my west

It was a pretty hard hitter. Good thing the newly planted trees looked to have survived

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Sorry but it really goes to show you how lacking our education system is in the sciences. They don't teach weather like they used to. I remember have discussions in grade school about the different types of precipitation. 

it isn't that cut and dry.....

I remember it being mentioned here before...specifically with coastal storms that develop rapidly along the warm gulf stream waters and have convection associated with them, small hail can occur. Weak tornadoes can occur with such storms too.  One winter storm that comes to mind that had small hail and even a waterspout just off the south shore was the late Jan 2011 storm at the beginning of its second phase.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

First June since 2009 with no 90 degree days at JFK. The 89 today was the high for the month. Very few warm offshore flow days with the onshore flow dominating.

Time Series Summary for JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, NY - Month of Jun
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
2020 89 1
2019 91 0
2018 91 0
2017 94 0
2016 92 0
2015 90 0
2014 91 0
2013 91 0
2012 97 0
2011 93 0
2010 98 0
2009 83 0

think we hit 90 here on Friday or it waits until next week, Chris?

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

how long did it last?  I read back and it sounds like the hail lasted for 10 min and the storm itself went on for about half an hour?

I didn't post the video. But By me it lasted a good 20 minutes. Wind swept rain. No hail. A lot of small and some large branches down 

• Like 1