Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

8 minutes ago, Barman49 said:

What else is new for NE Jersey a miss to the south and a miss to the north.

Sent from my GM1925 using Tapatalk

Not a miss but these storms are straight doodoo. Maybe we can make up for it tomorrow? Heh..who am I kidding its gonna be congrats philly again:lol:

Not a miss but these storms are straight doodoo. Maybe we can make up for it tomorrow? Heh..who am I kidding its gonna be congrats philly again
Had some light/mod rain during the day. Not expecting more than a few drops with this line dying out. I mean miss in terms of severe weather.

Sent from my GM1925 using Tapatalk

Earlier today, a line of powerful thunderstorms tore through the Philadelphia area with wind gusts in excess of 80 mph. A much more tranquil night is in store.

In the wake of the storms, several days with widespread high temperatures in the 80s will be likely. Nevertheless, no excessive heat is likely through at least the first ten days of June in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.5°C for the week centered around May 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.03°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged 0.00°C. ENSO Region anomalies have continued to cool into the end of May. Neutral-cool conditions will likely prevail through mid-summer. The probability of the development of a La Niña event during late summer or early autumn has continued to increase.

The SOI was -16.59 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -0.900.

On June 2, the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.843 (RMM). The June 1-adjusted amplitude was 1.872.

The MJO has now in in Phase 1 for 3 consecutive days with an amplitude of 1.500 or above. Since 1981, there were four such cases that saw the MJO meet or exceed those thresholds during the June 1-10 period: 2002, 2006, 2007, and 2015. While the four cases were evenly split between cooler and warmer than normal during the second half of June, 3 of those 4 cases saw a warmer to much warmer than normal July. In short, this could be an early indication that a summer that will start near normal (June) could turn warmer than normal afterward.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Agreed it’s been a long time. That’s storm put down a quick 1/2” at least 

Yeah I got 0.42” here with that downpour, not bad at all but we’re gonna need more than that to stave off a drought.

The next 8 days are averaging 72.5degs , or about 3degs. AN.

69* here at 6am., hazy  blue.       74* by 9am.        80* by Noon.       Down to 77* at 1pm.       75* at 1:30pm.         74* at 2pm.        73* at 3pm.         72* at 3:15pm.        76* at 4pm.        68* by 8am.         72* by 10am.

11 hours ago, Cfa said:

It certainly seems like that part of the region (SNJ/SEPA) is a derecho magnet, at least more so than anywhere else.

Agreed. I wonder if it has something to do with the orientation of the Great Lakes. The only one I have experienced on LI, the infamous sept 98 one came straight from the west, counter to the normal NW MCs source 

• Like 1