Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

And October's 0.26" came on the 29th, after the fires were pretty much under control.  Most of the fire damage came during the week Oct. 21-27 and the temps are shown below:
21   69   48
22   70   37
23   83   35   I think that's the latest that PWM has reached 83, though they hit 84 on 10/17.
24   59   26
25   65   20
26   65   37
27   73   39

The worst came on 23-24 when strong SW winds abruptly veered to NW as a dry CF passed thru, with gusts 50+ reported.  Don't know the RH but the diurnal ranges give some indication.  Forest firefighters know they cannot attack the head of a crown fire and only work in front of it from a distance when setting up fire lines and/or burnouts, but rather attack the flanks and clean up the rear (pun intended.)  That wind shift turned the right flank into the head in a few minutes, putting a lot of folks in instant danger though I think the fatalities occurred elsewhere.

And if I remember correctly they tried to set up fire breaks along highways like Route 1, but the strong winds allowed the flames to jump the road.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

And if I remember correctly they tried to set up fire breaks along highways like Route 1, but the strong winds allowed the flames to jump the road.

The Kennebunk fire jumped not only Rt 1 but more than a half mile of ocean to torch a small island off the coast of Kennebunkport.  In the 1963 Jersey pine barrens fire, a firebreak was set up on the Garden State Parkway - 4 lanes, shoulders and a grassy median.  It worked for 4-5 miles of highway but jumped a mile long section.  All that blackened woods was impressive a couple months later when my dad took us down to Tuckerton to fish on Great Bay.  Updrafts of a hot fire can carry burning bits of wood a long way.

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Almost at Newport . Long live summer .

Stowe had to many restrictions 

We beach , then we hide from the weather this afternoon, then out tonite , beach tomorrow 

You’re my man!  Embrace summer and winter.   Fuk spring and fall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

You’re my man!  Embrace summer and winter.   Fuk spring and fall.

At least fall has the foliage. Spring is utterly useless in New England. Pure garbage. I wish we’d go right from winter to summer. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At least fall has the foliage. Spring is utterly useless in New England. Pure garbage. I wish we’d go right from winter to summer. 

This year we tried our hardest.  Multiple snow accumulations even down low in May followed by all-time record heat like a week after the final accumulating event.  

Thats how I wish it would go every year. Although we know better.  And if we are getting borderline spring snow events up here though, it probably means the weather really sucked elsewhere.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Newport, VT doesn’t seem like Pickles’ jam if his options were swanky Stowe Mtn Lodge or swanky Newport, RI.  He knows where the cougar habitats are.

Spruce peak will beat any hotel in Newport, RI hands down IMO, and for half the cost . Got a couple hours of some good rains moving in now , wonder if a few drinks at bar will have me napping by 7pm

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Spruce peak will beat any hotel in Newport, RI hands down IMO, and for half the cost . Got a couple hours of some good rains moving in now , wonder if a few drinks at bar will have me napping by 7pm

Wear a mask to keep the high risk ladies safe.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, moneypitmike said:

Helluva way to run a drought.

Saturday
Showers likely. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Humid with lows in the upper 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the evening. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Sunday
Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Monday
Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 80s.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Tuesday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs around 80.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Thursday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:13 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

You do understand how those work right? It’s built into the algorithm. I’ve seen you post these silly forecasts in the winter mentioning snow everyday and it flurries once. There’s probs everyday for rain. You’ll maybe see measurable one of those days lol

On 6/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Post on Wednesday night how many days it rained and your total and we’ll match it up to your posted forecast 

I'll start posting now. :)

1 for 1.    .22"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No big heat and no drought.  Bet that'll get tossed.

I think we’ll take the Mets ideas and expertise over a set of charts that hasn’t been right in any season ever. Should be plenty of warmth and humidity next 10 days. Unless you missed the memo.. I’m a dew guy.. much prefer high dews even if it’s 78/70. I couldn’t care less about big heat unless it’s accompanied by high dews 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think we’ll take the Mets ideas and expertise over a set of charts that hasn’t been right in any season ever. Should be plenty of warmth and humidity next 10 days. Unless you missed the memo.. I’m a dew guy.. much prefer high dews even if it’s 78/70. I couldn’t care less about big heat unless it’s accompanied by high dews 

DIT = Dews In Tolland?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think we’ll take the Mets ideas and expertise over a set of charts that hasn’t been right in any season ever. 

I mean it’s just a snapshot of the Euro run verbatim.  Just because it’s graphical doesn’t mean its not what the model says.

I totally get if you think the Euro just isn’t correct on both temps and precip, but that chart isn’t the reason it’s wrong lol.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I mean it’s just a snapshot of the Euro run verbatim.  Just because it’s graphical doesn’t mean its not what the model says.

I totally get if you think the Euro just isn’t correct on both temps and precip, but that chart isn’t the reason it’s wrong lol.

Lol I mean you can’t make it up

• Haha 1